Pens now have a waiting list

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Penguins no longer taking season ticket deposits
By Tribune-Review
Thursday, June 28, 2007

A record number of ticket plans has led the Penguins to discontinue taking ticket deposits for full-season and half-season plans, the team announced today.
The Penguins are on the verge of 13,500 full-season ticket equivalent, a club record. Team officials halted deposits to make sure there were seats available for the wildly popular Student Rush ticket program, individual game sales and 6-game and 12-game mini-plans for the upcoming season

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_514883.html

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Penguins no longer taking season ticket deposits
By Tribune-Review
Thursday, June 28, 2007

A record number of ticket plans has led the Penguins to discontinue taking ticket deposits for full-season and half-season plans, the team announced today.
The Penguins are on the verge of 13,500 full-season ticket equivalent, a club record. Team officials halted deposits to make sure there were seats available for the wildly popular Student Rush ticket program, individual game sales and 6-game and 12-game mini-plans for the upcoming season

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_514883.html

this is great for the NHL...to bad Sid doesnt go to every arena

HockeyScholar

Sep 9, 2006
Nice job Pittsburgh, nice turn around. However, let's not start a parade in the streets, you do have the most exciting player on the earth on your team.

I'm happy to see the fans came back after the relocation threats.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nice job Pittsburgh, nice turn around. However, let's not start a parade in the streets, you do have the most exciting player on the earth on your team.

There are a nice number of teams who have exciting players who do not come close to that kind of sales. There are teams who are perenial winners who do not come close to this. Give us our due after hearing how much we sucked as a hockey market over the past few years. And yes, we heard it constantly.

Killiecrankie*

Having Crosby, Malkin, and Staal will do this for sales.

Also helps to know that we will have a team, since 99 we havnet known whether this team was going to stay or go. Its hard to get emotionally attached to something you have no idea whether or not it is going to be around in a year...

Pnut

There are a nice number of teams who have exciting players who do not come close to that kind of sales. There are teams who are perenial winners who do not come close to this. Give us our due after hearing how much we sucked as a hockey market over the past few years. And yes, we heard it constantly.

congrats to all Pens fans, excluding the ones that picked the isles last:sarcasm:

seriously this is a great thing for a great and proud franchise and we can only hope that all teams can do this, and as pointed out perenial winners (see:devils) dont do this.

congrats, from an Islanders fan.

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa

Yes that all would be nice, but really can we expect this from the crowd here at HF?

I heard this news on the way home yesterday on the radio and I was very happy about this. It was a nice big FU to all the nay sayers. Good job Pittsburgh!

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yes that all would be nice, but really can we expect this from the crowd here at HF?

I heard this news on the way home yesterday on the radio and I was very happy about this. It was a nice big FU to all the nay sayers. Good job Pittsburgh!

No. Everyone wants to complain about lousy hockey markets, but they also want to take dismissive attitudes when markets have success. It's the HF modus operandi.

Congrats to us. Pat yourselves on the back, Pens fans. As a STH I couldn't be prouder of our team, our fans, or our city. And yes, a nice big FU to all of the naysayers, those who said that we didn't deserve a hockey team, or those who tried to kick us while we were down with jokes about Kansas City.

HockeyScholar

Sep 9, 2006
It is so sad to see how defensive Pittsburgh fans have become. Lose the attitude of pity. Your team will win many Stanley Cups in the coming years, don't get so defensive.

Congrats though.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry, after the **** we've been through over the past eight years with the arena situation and the lousy team for five years, we're entitled to at least one more season's worth of persecution complex.

HockeyScholar

Sep 9, 2006
I'm sorry, after the **** we've been through over the past eight years with the arena situation and the lousy team for five years, we're entitled to at least one more season's worth of persecution complex.
Feeling sorry for yourself won't get you too far.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I think the new CBA and the feeling that if the fans come to get some money to the team, along with a new arena to show the team will stay has a lot to do with the Pens fortunes turning.

I am sure Crosby has bumped the totals a few thousand, I think the excitement of Malking and Staal, would be enough to get many fans to the arena and to be at around 11 K season tickets sold or more.

Having Crosby does help the teams but they have good fans in that city

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa
It is so sad to see how defensive Pittsburgh fans have become. Lose the attitude of pity. Your team will win many Stanley Cups in the coming years, don't get so defensive.

Congrats though.

Heh, so now we have an "attitude of pity."

So you are describing an "attitude of pity" as when a fan (in this example a Pittsburgh Penguin fan) takes defence to a post, it then means that we are showing an "attitude of pitty?" Get real, do you honestly think if this same exact thread was started to talk about how the...let's say....Philadelphia Flyers completely sold out their season tickets, and some schmucks came rolling in on their collective high horses and started to talk some trash and to make sure the Flyers fans were not going to start a "parade in the streets" that they would not take defence?

So how about you description of us "Pens fans" as having an "attitude of pity," is what is really "sad."

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City

I'm not gonna feel sorry for any fan of a team that has won a cup in recent memory, let alone 2. As well as being the only team one of the greatest players in NHL history ever suited up for. And that's not even mentioning having the best years of the best European player ever to lace them up, as well as seeing Ron Francis, Paul Coffey and Scotty Bowman represent your franchise. If my team had even half of these accolades I would feel like they won the lottery.

And then of course, you did win the lottery again, with Crosby. And now getting Malkin, Staal, Fleury and even Esposito.

Sure there was some uncertainty but the NHL wasn't going to let this team move. I wonder if any team in the NHL has had this much good fortune in recent times. It's tough to say at this point.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
congrats to all Pens fans, excluding the ones that picked the isles last:sarcasm:

seriously this is a great thing for a great and proud franchise and we can only hope that all teams can do this, and as pointed out perenial winners (see:devils) dont do this.
congrats, from an Islanders fan.

Umm, you're talking about a "perenial winner" who has been embaraased out of the early playoff rounds for 3 straight years with horrible marketing/management. How are they "perenial winners"?

Oh and congrats Sid.

hockeydadx2*

Well, given our luck here, we'll have a new arena, completely sold out for the season even before the first game is played, and a Cup contender, and the whole NHL will go down the tubes because of inept management.

How's that for a persecution complex?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I don't feel sorry for the Pens: the other sports teams in Pitt got new stadiums without this much fuss, they were basically handed the best player, since that last guy they were handed... and the NHL basically bent over backwards to create a new CBA and keep them in town, with the minor threat of getting moved to KC. :sarcasm:

The only area I really don't understand is the feet dragging on a new arena, it can serve more purposes than football/baseball stadiums, and the Pirates just suck.

It's only natural that a team can only suffer for so long, before the picks start piling up and turn into something...and the Nords fans suffered a lot worse that the Pens fans, their team sucked for the longest time, moved, and then became a powerhouse.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Minor threat? Priceless. How did this thread go from being about the Pens ticket sales to how we're the "luckiest" team in the NHL? Honestly, you people could win the lottery and complain about having to pay taxes.

HFBoards: turning good news into mud since 2001. :sarcasm:

The only area I really don't understand is the feet dragging on a new arena, it can serve more purposes than football/baseball stadiums, and the Pirates just suck.

The Pens were offered the chance to get a new arena at the time that the Steelers and Pirates got their new stadiums. Our former inept management passed on the deal (likely because he didn't have the money, since he drove the team into bankruptcy during his tenure) and instead chose to add another level and some boxes to Mellon Arena. Bad decision.

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
And a serious question, because I couldn't find the info anywhere else: which other teams in the league have a season ticket waiting list? I'd assume Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Vancouver. Anyone else?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That is good news for the NHL. I wish every team sold out every game and our games were on ESPN HD every night. I think as NHL fans we have to come together instead of constantly pulling each other down. Penguins fans are notorious for coming on to Devils fan boards and talking about their low attendance figures. How many negative articles about low ratings and no-show attendances do we have to read by the media each season.

hockeygirl77

Feb 10, 2007

A little bitter are we??? Yes, Sid is a HUGE deal here in Pittsburgh!! Still, MARIO made us all love hockey and that was 20 years ago. I don't know many teams that have a large attendance when they are on the downswing. It has nothing to do with the love of the sport, but who wants to watch their team loose all of the time. People get frustrated and don't want to pay their hard earned money (hockey tix are expensive)!!! My point being, its not just about SID!
BTW, even when we stink I think they average 12,000-13000 (I think don't quote me on that one). Not great, but its consistent!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->