Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Toughest thing will be who gets waived when Niskanen comes back.

They HAVE to find a way to keep Bowey AND Djoos here.

Nisky
Orlov
Carlson
Orpik (playing fantastic by the way)
Djoos
Bowey

Chorney

problem is sending one of chorney/ness isnt enough to keep bowey. would have to be a ness/chorney and a graovac/chiasson

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It seems painfully obvious to send down Ness, Walker, O'Brian, and Graovac. None of them are really doing anything and Trotz isn't giving them ice time, so what's the point.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Caps need to waive Ness and O'Brien, trade Connolly, and let it ride. Bank some cap space for TDL.

Chorney goes back to being 7th D.
They won't begin to bank any cap space until Niskanen is activated off of LTIR but this could be a solid plan if they believe DSP, Vrana, Burakovsky, Wilson and maybe Stephenson can all be relied upon in scoring-line roles if need be. The one thing I might try to salvage Connolly and their depth is putting Stephenson with Beagle and Connolly on the fourth line once Burakovsky returns. I don't know whether that line would gel but it could be worth trying. I'm not a huge fan of Connolly's all-around game but he should still be a touch better than Chiasson, albeit more up and down. Short of that, though, I'm not sure Connolly warrants an immediate look on the third line based on his play prior to getting hurt and if they do want to open up some space it makes a lot of sense.

Whatever they do in the short-term, Stephenson needs to stay in the lineup. He's got the pace and productivity they need. I don't expect him to keep up this sort of point pace but he's a legit well-rounded young player and the sort of piece they need to be developing given uncertainty with pending UFAs Eller and Beagle. His versatility is more legit than Graovac and Walker from a smoothness standpoint and an uptick in suggested potential makes him pretty interesting. Hopefully they don't bury it for the sake of waiver status in favor of veterans because they're veterans.

Reactions: twabby

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They won't begin to bank any cap space until Niskanen is activated off of LTIR but this could be a solid plan if they believe DSP, Vrana, Burakovsky, Wilson and maybe Stephenson can all be relied upon in scoring-line roles if need be. The one thing I might try to salvage Connolly and their depth is putting Stephenson with Beagle and Connolly on the fourth line once Burakovsky returns. I don't know whether that line would gel but it could be worth trying. I'm not a huge fan of Connolly's all-around game but he should still be a touch better than Chiasson, albeit more up and down. Short of that, though, I'm not sure Connolly warrants an immediate look on the third line based on his play prior to getting hurt and if they do want to open up some space it makes a lot of sense.

Whatever they do in the short-term, Stephenson needs to stay in the lineup. He's got the pace and productivity they need. I don't expect him to keep up this sort of point pace but he's a legit well-rounded young player and the sort of piece they need to be developing given uncertainty with pending UFAs Eller and Beagle. His versatility is more legit than Graovac and Walker from a smoothness standpoint and an uptick in suggested potential makes him pretty interesting. Hopefully they don't bury it for the sake of waiver status in favor of veterans because they're veterans.
Yeah -- Stephenson needs to stay in the line up, no matter what. Same with Djoos and Bowey. These are the types of players that may make a difference in the playoffs (should they make it).

Connolly is simply more expensive than Chiasson or DSP. I also think once Burakovsky returns, DSP is the guy that will round out the 4th line w Beagle. I'd like to see Stephenson stay in a top 9 role, frankly. He's the Caps Sheary/Rust type, IMO.

Conolly really has no place with Stephenson's emergence and with DSP's solid play. DSP at least brings some presence to the team, and he's not too slow to play anywhere in the lineup. I don't see Connolly has adding any real value to any line, based on the rest of the personnel (he's less gifted than Vrana or Burakovsky, and he doesn't bring the same elements as Stephenson and DSP). He's probably most like Chiasson, but he's almost 1m more expensive and you don't need that as 13th F or 4th line W. When Bura is back, I see:
Ovy -Kuz - Bura
Steph/Vrana - Backs - Osh
Steph/Vrana - Eller - Wils
Walker/Chiasson - Beagle - DSP
Walker/Chiasson

Orlov - Nisky
Djoos - Carlson
Orpik - Bowey
Chorney.

I know that's under the Cap, just not sure how much.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bowey in a heartbeat. He has been playing better but he is clearly the worst of the bunch.
No way Bowey gets waived. He has too much potential. He is still young. Chorney is the guy I would waive. Maybe they will try to package him in a deal. Upfront I'd like to see the Caps move Connolly but I'm not sure anyone would want him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Stephenson should be on the top 3 lines. I like him with Backstrom and Oshie.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
From a line construction standpoint it’s been argued from stats guys that it’s often better to split up your talent rather than going all-in on a top heavy lineup. Last night's lineup was a good example.

Like Langway and RS said I’ve been impressed with Stephenson and his pace and versatility should earn him a permanent spot in the lineup. Of course I’d like to see how long he keeps it up alongside Backstrom but last night was an impressive start.

I’m still concerned about the 8-92-25 line because while they are scoring somewhat consistently they are too frequently pinned in their own zone. DSP is a fine enough player but I’d like to see Wilson get a shot alongside 8 and 92 at some point. Wilson’s by no means an offensive dynamo but at least he disrupts the opposition and is consistent defensively.

I’d also like to see Vrana get more playing time. He had only 8 minutes of even strength time, or 30 seconds more than Beagle.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kind of an interesting bind forming with Connolly & Graovac ready to return soon. Stephenson should stay in the lineup but in another two games will require waivers to be sent back down again. I prefer Stephenson's sense to Connolly's largely invisible play prior to getting injured but we'll see if the staff agrees.

LOB will be the easy first forward to send down and I guess Walker is next since they've been opting to play LOB instead.

The simplest solution is to make a trade. How do you send down Walker though? He requires waivers, and given our lack of depth, we shouldn't risk losing him on waivers.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
From a line construction standpoint it’s been argued from stats guys that it’s often better to split up your talent rather than going all-in on a top heavy lineup. Last night's lineup was a good example.

Like Langway and RS said I’ve been impressed with Stephenson and his pace and versatility should earn him a permanent spot in the lineup. Of course I’d like to see how long he keeps it up alongside Backstrom but last night was an impressive start.

I’m still concerned about the 8-92-25 line because while they are scoring somewhat consistently they are too frequently pinned in their own zone. DSP is a fine enough player but I’d like to see Wilson get a shot alongside 8 and 92 at some point. Wilson’s by no means an offensive dynamo but at least he disrupts the opposition and is consistent defensively.

I’d also like to see Vrana get more playing time. He had only 8 minutes of even strength time, or 30 seconds more than Beagle.

I think Wilson has helped bring the best out of Eller. Not sure I want that to change.....as it gives the Caps the ability to spread it out (as you stated).

Question will be what to do with Burakovsky once he returns. They seemed set on making him play RW to allow a quicker release for his shot...so that would seem to push him towards 1RW with Ovy and Kuz.

Leave Stephenson with Backs and Osh.

Have Vrana continue to play 3LW with Eller and Wilson.

That's the best use of the talent, currently

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The simplest solution is to make a trade. How do you send down Walker though? He requires waivers, and given our lack of depth, we shouldn't risk losing him on waivers.
I don't understand why people are so high on Walker. I'm not sold on him at all. He wouldn't be the first guy I would send down but once we get some players back I'm not sure we have room for him. I'd like to see us move Connolly. He just isn't working out.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think Wilson has helped bring the best out of Eller. Not sure I want that to change.....as it gives the Caps the ability to spread it out (as you stated).

Question will be what to do with Burakovsky once he returns. They seemed set on making him play RW to allow a quicker release for his shot...so that would seem to push him towards 1RW with Ovy and Kuz.

Leave Stephenson with Backs and Osh.

Have Vrana continue to play 3LW with Eller and Wilson.

That's the best use of the talent, currently
A line consisting of Kuzy, Ovi and Bura could be a disaster in the defensive zone.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't understand why people are so high on Walker. I'm not sold on him at all. He wouldn't be the first guy I would send down but once we get some players back I'm not sure we have room for him. I'd like to see us move Connolly. He just isn't working out.

There are decisions to be made. You have Walker, Graovac, Connolly and Chiasson. You can only keep two.
It's not an easy decision, but there's a case to be made to keep Walker. His tenacity and speed on the forecheck is valuable.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

People wanna see the undersized Aussie underdog succeed.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

I second this. Willy and Kuzy have shown some offensive chemistry in the past and Wilson adds defensive ability. Plus, even though Ovie doesn’t hit like the old days, a line with 8 and 43 on the wings is heavy and intimidating and could make life tough for D men.

That said, I’ve been impressed with DSP this season. He has not done anything to earn a demotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->