Penner vs. Fehr

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Listen, Penner had a nice playoff run..........before this year hes done nothing, he may turn into a nice 50 point player heck maybe 70 someday.........
Penner has a chance to be a solid contributor but has shown nothing to being one of the more dominant players in the nhl so settle your hopes and dreams a little.

Fehr has shown ability in the past and this season as well, the guy was WHL player of the year in a year Phaneuf was still in the dub.........he had back to back 50 goal seasons in the WHL........was hersheys best rookie this season and led them in points for most of the year.

For what its worth, Fehr has enormous upside compared to Penner.

Well you have to realize not everybody's development curve is the same....Penner is a late bloomer....The numbers he put up this year, Fehr would be lucky to get to in the next 2 years. It doesnt matter how well they played when they were young, what matter is the end product. And at this point there is no doubt Penner is way ahead of Fehr. The question is will Fehr pass him in a couple year since he is younger...For that to happen, Fehr will need to continue to develop at a rapid pace...

back to back 50 goals in junior means nothing...the world is full of jr superstar busts...

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Dallas Flames Fan said:
back to back 50 goals in junior means nothing...the world is full of jr superstar busts...

True, but nor is the world full of AHL rookies who lead their team in scoring and dominate offensively for the majority of a season. His pace slowed, but that is because he's not used to the rigors or a pro season.

My point is that of course juniors is full of goal scorers, but the number of juniors who go on to prove it in the pros forms a significantly smaller pool, a pool in which Fehr is certainly a member. I think your point would be more valid prior to this season.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
hab said:
fehr by a large margin.. I see him as a 1st line PF, and penner as a 3rd line player

(despite his amazing playoff output). I could see fehr putting up a 50 point rookie

season next year, easily.

:shakehead Penner is already at least a 2nd liner...and he is only going to get better!!

obviously you have some bias towards Fehr...try to be more neutral.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Penner had a great playoff with the Ducks. He is not going to end up being a point producer though, he is going to be more the 2nd/3rd line role player who hits and digs in the corner.

I think people are forgetting that Penner actually has really good hands. He is atleast a 2nd line Left wing...I would be very surprised if he only ends up as a thrid liner.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Bonzai said:
True, but nor is the world full of AHL rookies who lead their team in scoring and dominate offensively for the majority of a season. His pace slowed, but that is because he's not used to the rigors or a pro season.

His pace what? I didn't see any of him in Portland, but, it seemed he got better as the seasons went along. He had 5 points in 4 playoff games with Portland, came to Anaheim where he had 9 points in 13 games, and was one of the best Ducks on the ice, and then went back to Portland where he scored 2 goals in his final game of the season. Maybe he started out super-hot and then cooled down before heating up again, I don't know, but IMO there's no question Dustin Penner played his best in the playoffs for both teams.

Even though I am a Ducks fan, as of today, Penner is miles ahead of Fehr. Fehr's a very good player, but Penner has more than easily been the much better player this year. Will that be the same tomorrow, who knows, but as of right now, he's a fair bit better.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
His pace what? I didn't see any of him in Portland, but, it seemed he got better as the seasons went along. He had 5 points in 4 playoff games with Portland, came to Anaheim where he had 9 points in 13 games, and was one of the best Ducks on the ice, and then went back to Portland where he scored 2 goals in his final game of the season. Maybe he started out super-hot and then cooled down before heating up again, I don't know, but IMO there's no question Dustin Penner played his best in the playoffs for both teams.

Even though I am a Ducks fan, as of today, Penner is miles ahead of Fehr. Fehr's a very good player, but Penner has more than easily been the much better player this year. Will that be the same tomorrow, who knows, but as of right now, he's a fair bit better.

he was talking about Fehr

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
76over39 said:
Seriously.

Penner in Portland: 57GP 39G 45A 84PTS +41
Penner in Anaheim: 19GP 4G 3A 7PTS +3
Playoffs in Portland: 5GP 4G 3A 7PTS +2
Playoffs in Anaheim: 13GP 3G 6A 9PTS +10

Fehr in Hershey: 70GP 25G 28A 53PTS -12
Fehr in Washington: 11GP 0G 0A 0PTS +0
Fehr in Playoffs: 13GP 6G 3A 9PTS +2

Honestly, at this point in time, Fehr is lucking to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Penner.

I'm not advocating that Fehr is the better player but you're comparing Penner's second season in the AHL to Fehr's rookie campaign...I'm mean if you're going to manipulate stats, compare both their rookie years

Penner in Cincinnati: 77GP 10G 18A 28PTS
Penner in Cincinnati Playoffs: 9GP 2G 3A 5PTS
Penner in Anahiem: Didnt play

Fehr in Hershey: 70GP 25G 28A 53PTS
Fehr in Washington: 11GP 0G 0A 0PTS
Fehr in Playoffs: 13GP 6G 3A 9PTS

Then if you wanna throw in the whole age difference debate like people do with Ovechkin and Crosby, it's even harder to accurately compare the two

Of course Penner is the better player right now and Fehr has awhile till he becomes a legitmate threat...Fehr should spend next year in the AHL

Transported Upstater

Pepper said:
Penner is *NOT* a powerforward, not yet atleast.

He's big and he uses his huge size to protect the puck and take punishment but he doesn't have a real mean streak which is a must for a bonafide PF.

I'd love to see Penner get that mean streak to really punish opponents and dish out beatings every now and then but I doubt that will happen.

The term 'powerforward' is thrown around here way too easily anyway, people call players like Forsberg and Cole powerforwards when they are 'only' big forwards who don't mind the rough stuff.

To be a powerforward you need to have a mean streak, you have to be a player that is feared both offensively and physically. A player like Lindros who used (pre-Stevens hit) to drill & steamroll d-men just for 'fun', even when he had the chance to go for the puck instead.

You make a good point; people seem to have forgotten the meaning of the term "power forward."

Forsberg?!?!?!? :biglaugh: I can't wait until someone tries to tell me Peter Forsberg is a PF...

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:

Penner had a better year agreed, and hes 3 years older and its his 2nd year in the league......and Penner is a player who when the same age as Fehr was not even playing high level hockey.......he was somewhere below College/AHL/CHL/ECHL levels.

I think Ill take Fehr who will be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL over Penner who had a nice season and may disapear just as fast as he appeared for his SOLO good season.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Dallas Flames Fan said:
Well you have to realize not everybody's development curve is the same....Penner is a late bloomer....The numbers he put up this year, Fehr would be lucky to get to in the next 2 years. It doesnt matter how well they played when they were young, what matter is the end product. And at this point there is no doubt Penner is way ahead of Fehr. The question is will Fehr pass him in a couple year since he is younger...For that to happen, Fehr will need to continue to develop at a rapid pace...

Fehr is 3 years younger, and put up well over half the points that Penner had this season in Penners only good season of his LIFE...........back to back 50 goal seasons may go for naught in the QMJHL or OHL but not a lot of back to back 50 goal scorers happen in the WHL........Fehr will have a better season next year IF hes still in the AHL then Penner did this year, Likely the case will be that Fehr is on the Caps team next season however which means he would land a starter job in the NHL 3 years younger then Penner just like he did in the AHL 2 years younger.

OH and FTR, there is absolutely nothing to say that Fehr wont continue to develop at a rapid pace as he has throughout the previous 3 years and looks to continue that on his way to being a top line sniper.

What is with duck fans thinking cuz of Penner having a decent AHL season 3 years older and a decent NHL playoff that he all of a sudden is at the top of the prospect pool LOL

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Penner had a better year agreed, and hes 3 years older and its his 2nd year in the league......and Penner is a player who when the same age as Fehr was not even playing high level hockey.......he was somewhere below College/AHL/CHL/ECHL levels.

I think Ill take Fehr who will be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL over Penner who had a nice season and may disapear just as fast as he appeared for his SOLO good season.

So you are saying Fehr will be better based on the fact that Penner has had only one good season...and yet Fehr has yet to play in an NHL game....

*brain explodes*

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Fehr is 3 years younger, and put up well over half the points that Penner had this season in Penners only good season of his LIFE...........back to back 50 goal seasons may go for naught in the QMJHL or OHL but not a lot of back to back 50 goal scorers happen in the WHL........Fehr will have a better season next year IF hes still in the AHL then Penner did this year, Likely the case will be that Fehr is on the Caps team next season however which means he would land a starter job in the NHL 3 years younger then Penner just like he did in the AHL 2 years younger.

OH and FTR, there is absolutely nothing to say that Fehr wont continue to develop at a rapid pace as he has throughout the previous 3 years and looks to continue that on his way to being a top line sniper.

What is with duck fans thinking cuz of Penner having a decent AHL season 3 years older and a decent NHL playoff that he all of a sudden is at the top of the prospect pool LOL

You use a lot of "will" in Fehr's case, and a lot of "did" and "had" in Penner's. That's the gist of it. Penner "is" already a physical force that pushes the likes of Chris Pronger around, Fehr "will" fill out his lanky frame. Penner "has" made the NHL roster of a conference finalist, Fehr could not hold down a spot on a bottom dweller, but when he "will", look out. I am not saying that Fehr will not turn into a good player, but I am surprised that you seem blind to the fact that Penner already is. And, beleive it or not, he also "will" get better.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
TransportedUpstater said:
You make a good point; people seem to have forgotten the meaning of the term "power forward."

Forsberg?!?!?!? :biglaugh: I can't wait until someone tries to tell me Peter Forsberg is a PF...

Oh boy...You wouldn't believe how many times people have claimed that.

Though the best one is few Sens fans claiming that Marian Hossa is a powerforward...

Randall Graves*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
100% correct...........while Fehr is going to play in a frame of 6'3" 220 he is not going to be a hitting/physical Bertuzzi,Penner type player.........Fehr's game is Skill.......he has good vision and an awesome wrist shot..........there wont be a lot of wrist shots in the NHL that are better then his once he's in the league for a cple years and gets noticed.

This is a guy who is going to score 40 goals in the NHL playing alongside Ovechkin for years.

Penner had a great playoff with the Ducks. He is not going to end up being a point producer though, he is going to be more the 2nd/3rd line role player who hits and digs in the corner.

While Fehr is not afraid to play the body, he doesnt go out of his way for it either.......he will dig in the corners and has become much more scrappy in the past 2 years then he was originally thought..........that is the main reason people are throwing around the powerforward tag with his name....he simply will be a big forward with lots of skill.
Penners got alot more upside than just as a role player. He's got a great shot along with outstanding passing/playmaking ability as well as a few classic power forward moves.

But I also like Fehr, I think he can be a big scorer in the NHL especially if he plays with Ovechkin but I think Penner's style will allow him to have as good if not better impact in games.

Teemu Selanne recently said Penner reminds him of a young John LeClaire, the more I see Penner the more I see alot of LeClaire in him.

Randall Graves*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Your a duck fan, thus you dont see that penner is 3 years older and has much less talent or promise as a prospect then fehr. How did Penner do 3 years ago cuz i forget........had you even heard of him, I guarantee not cuz no one had.
I will agree that he's not being fair to Fehr because he's 3 years younger.

but much less talent? Please. Just because Penner was a late bloomer doesn't mean he has much less talent.

Randall Graves*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:

Decent? 84 points in 57 games is alot better than decent.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

no nothing to say that Fehr wont continue to develop but fact is he is not as good as Penner is today and unless he continues to develop he is not going to be a better bet as an NHLer.

by your argument, Andrej Sekera will be a better NHLer than Dion Phanuef since he is younger and put up better numbers in junior :biglaugh:

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
McDonald19 said:
:shakehead Penner is already at least a 2nd liner...and he is only going to get better!!

obviously you have some bias towards Fehr...try to be more neutral.

Just because they don't agree with you, they're biased? Not to mention they appear to be a Habs fan and they are discussing a Washington prospect and an Anaheim player.

And they are the person with the bias? Nice reasoning.

Last edited:

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:

Dude, I'm talking about Fehr, not Penner. My post was in response to one about how goal scorers in juniors rarely become goal scorers in the NHL.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
I love both of these guys... And would love to see either on The Bruins... But IMO Fehr has the higher ceiling.

I really like Penner, But I see him more as a 2nd line player.

Either way, Go Pirates

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

You seem to be totally oblivious to the point that Penner has had a meteoric rise to the NHL. He wasn't even good enough---or on a track---to play Juniors when he was a kid. He played high school hockey in Canada. Ordinarily, that would be the kiss of death for anyone with any professional hockey aspirations, let alone the NHL.

Penner underwent an enormous growth spurt a couple of years ago. He was playing at some godforsaken junior college in North Dakota when he was spotted by (I believe) an assistant coach from the University of Maine. If I'm not mistaken, the Ducks signed him after he played only one year at Maine. From there, he went to the Ducks minor league affiliate in Cincinnatti.

Thus, while I normally would put a lot of stock in the age difference between the two players, I think it's of minor significance when comparing these two. I haven't seen Fehr play enough to formulate an informed opinion about his talent. However, your anti-Penner bias is pretty transparent.

For someone to go from total obscurity to being a significant force in the NHL playoffs in three years is nothing short of amazing.

"SOLO good season"? Perhaps. But it's always possible that we just witnessed Ovechkin's "solo good season". (PLEASE don't accuse me of comparing Ovechkin and Penner.)

BTW, I'm a Ducks fan, but that doesn't distort my opinion as much as your bias against Penner distorts your opinion.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
both should develop into solid NHL players. Penner is a bigger bodied guy and has really soft hands for his size. Fehr's shot is 2 times that of Penner's, he can really rip it. But for someone of his size frame he doesn't have much meat on the bones. However, he doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. Penner could turn into more of a Bertuzzi like player where as Fehr could be more of a Ron Francis type. That's my assesment, take it for what it's worth.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Kick Save said:
You seem to be totally oblivious to the point that Penner has had a meteoric rise to the NHL. He wasn't even good enough---or on a track---to play Juniors when he was a kid. He played high school hockey in Canada. Ordinarily, that would be the kiss of death for anyone with any professional hockey aspirations, let alone the NHL.

Penner underwent an enormous growth spurt a couple of years ago. He was playing at some godforsaken junior college in North Dakota when he was spotted by (I believe) an assistant coach from the University of Maine. If I'm not mistaken, the Ducks signed him after he played only one year at Maine. From there, he went to the Ducks minor league affiliate in Cincinnatti.

Thus, while I normally would put a lot of stock in the age difference between the two players, I think it's of minor significance when comparing these two. I haven't seen Fehr play enough to formulate an informed opinion about his talent. However, your anti-Penner bias is pretty transparent.

For someone to go from total obscurity to being a significant force in the NHL playoffs in three years is nothing short of amazing.

"SOLO good season"? Perhaps. But it's always possible that we just witnessed Ovechkin's "solo good season". (PLEASE don't accuse me of comparing Ovechkin and Penner.)

BTW, I'm a Ducks fan, but that doesn't distort my opinion as much as your bias against Penner distorts your opinion.

I realize how fast Penner has risen to where he is now, I guess I dont believe the level that he played at in the playoffs is as high as he will be long term........there has been nothing in the kid's past to suggest it will be........he was given a good opportunity and made the best of it........but considering this was his 2nd AHL season and only fehr's rookie year the season was not SO far ahead as everyone suggests.........Penner benefitted well from an anaheim team which was depleted in forwards and he was given the chance and did well. We will see if he keeps that up next season, I personally do not think he will.

I am from manitoba and am hoping both players turn out great, I just see a ceiling for fehr that is quite a jump above that of Penner's and with Fehr proving himself at every step he is more the sure thing, not just a flash in the pan type player.

Penner reminds me of a kid new jersey had playing for them during playoffs a few years ago who looked real good and then fell off the face of the planet.....Michael Rupp.....anyone remember him.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
As was pointed out above, Penner is older, but doesn't have much more in terms of years of hockey development than Fehr.

Without drawing direct comparisons, I'd point out that Jonathan Cheechoo was/is also a late bloomer who seems to have developed a pretty impressive scoring touch in the show. He was particularly knocked on his skating when drafted because of his late start...

I think the poster above who mentioned that Penner's game is not all about scoring makes a good point - he seems to be able to play a balanced offensive role, dishing the puck as well or better than he shoots it. That's not a bad thing.

I'm sure my Leafs would love to have either of these guys, and I think comparing players based on completely subjective projections is a bit of a waste of time. But at least these guys are both garnering attention, and good for them!

In any event, all these so-called power forward comparisons just make me sad at how a whole generation of hockey fans has grown up without ever having seen Cam Neely play. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad