Penguins "to KC/staying in Pitt/not sold/whatever" thread

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
AGAIN! I keep saying that this is some stupid ****ing soap opera!

Can we just either move the team, contract it, or let it stay or whatever and do it now!?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Yep. This post demonstrates the confusion that some have. Toronto is the market there and it's taken.

Ask the Leafs organization how they would feel about their market share being cut.

If the New York market can have three teams, why can't the Toronto market handle two? With the young talent of that team they would be an instant hit. "The Ontario Mounties."

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
In fact, a source at the August meeting said that Mr. Balsillie sought assurances from the league that he would be able to move the hockey club if the arena funding did not materialize and after all other viable options were exhausted.

Mr. Bettman is said to have agreed, saying, "I'll be the first to help you pack your bags."

But three months later, the NHL commissioner tried to explain the eleventh-hour conditions, including the restrictions on owning the team, were commonly sought by the league before it approved new owners.
Really? There was no such provision with the sale of the Blues (they've got a letter binding them to the city until 2011) and I seriously doubt there was any such provision when the Ducks were sold.

I am, and you're wrong. No basis for comparison. Not even close to the same scenario. I can guarantee you that if Balsillie sues the NHL and/or the Penguins, he will lose on both suits. No basis for suit against the NHL, and Balsillie (not the Pens) broke off the preliminary negotiations, therefore the Penguins would be entitled to keep the deposit. As for the Al Davis comparison, Al Davis actually owned the team when he brought suit against the NFL. You can't sue to move a team that you don't own. The only party that might have a basis for suit against the NHL is the Lemieux Group.
You're right about one thing: the circumstances behind Davis suing the NFL and the circumstances behind this situation are entirely different. However, if the Pens (or the league) refuse to return the deposit, Balsillie very likely has a basis for a lawsuit to get the deposit back plus maybe some small amount of interest if he can prove that he put down a deposit in good faith and the NHL didn't represent itself and the Penguins in good faith. After that, it's doubtful he has any grounds for additional damages (even punitive).

Anything else? He probably doesn't have standing unless he wants to try and argue that the NHL's process of selecting new owners was fundamentally different for him than it was for prior sales and allege wrongdoing by the league - and even then, it's unlikely he could prove actual or future damages caused by it.

Vic Rattlehead*

huh?

Calgary is the second best hockey market on the planet. It would have no reason to move anywhere.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Montreal and Toronto are better markets.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If the New York market can have three teams, why can't the Toronto market handle two? With the young talent of that team they would be an instant hit. "The Ontario Mounties."
The question has never been "can Toronto handle a 2nd team" - it's always been "will the Maple Leafs allow a 2nd team in the market?" and we've pretty well agreed that the only way the Leafs allow someone else in is if they pay a huge sum as compensation.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
AGAIN! I keep saying that this is some stupid ****ing soap opera!

Can we just either move the team, contract it, or let it stay or whatever and do it now!?

And yet you just can not keep away from any chance to slam the Pens, gloat over our misery, or give us one last needle while we are down, eh Jon? If you are so tired of this, why do you continually haunt Pens' threads?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The question has never been "can Toronto handle a 2nd team" - it's always been "will the Maple Leafs allow a 2nd team in the market?" and we've pretty well agreed that the only way the Leafs allow someone else in is if they pay a huge sum as compensation.

Hence moving to a spot on the 401 that is 50.00001 miles away from the ACC (which is very close to Kitchener -Waterloo)!

Vic Rattlehead*

Poor Pens fans. I experienced the same thing as an Expos fan, where the owners lied about building a new stadium. Although not the same exact situation, Penguins face relocation.

If relocation were to happen, I'd love to see a team in Winnipeg, although it seems Bettman's sole intent is to not have a team move to Canada.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And yet you just can not keep away from any chance to slam the Pens, gloat over our misery, or give us one last needle while we are down, eh Jon? If you are so tired of this, why do you continually haunt Pens' threads?

Show me where I slammed the Pens, gloated over anything, gave you a "needle while [you] are down", or did anything besides complain about how ****ing Pejorative Slured this entire situation is? Maybe you should read my post before responding next time, Jaded. :shakehead

JoeP

Dec 16, 2006
Lemiuex is posturing for leverage in his negotiating with the state and county.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Poor Pens fans. I experienced the same thing as an Expos fan, where the owners lied about building a new stadium. Although not the same exact situation, Penguins face relocation.

If relocation were to happen, I'd love to see a team in Winnipeg, although it seems Bettman's sole intent is to not have a team move to Canada.

I was also an Expos fan... I cheered for the Nationals for about 1 month until I turned to the Red Sox (Who were always my #2 team; far away though). I've got to say that I'm not a big baseball fan anymore though; only watch the playoffs nowadays and barely know the players.

Let's hope the situation doesn't repeat itself with the Penguins.

Artyukhin*

LUCKY LUC ROBITAILLE with the Kanas City group who just happens to be a partner with Mario in a minor leauge hockey venture . HMMMM . There is a reason they called him lucky .

Bsillie lawsuit coming if this is the case IMHO .

Mario finally snapped and everyone no matter how loyal has to cast that aside after so many kicks in the chops like Mario has taken .

To bad . If i was Mario id take them to Ontario to piss the nhl off :)Maybe Basillie will build Mario a stadium? :) Its the most profitable option but maybe not the most "desired" by Bettmen .

Mario has to start looking out for HIMSELF , as no one esle has done a lick for the poor man over the last 7 years .

Last edited by a moderator:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Basille has also done a lot of legal research to determine the validity of the NHL's terrororial rights. He's very willing to challenge it, and, the fact that he jumped into this deal, tells me that if the opportunity does pop up to move a team to the area, that his chances are good. I'm also betting that he's willing to pay a compensation price if needed.

Vic Rattlehead*

To bad . If i was Mario id take them to Ontario to pi$$ the nhl off :)Its the most profitable option but maybe not the most "desired" by Bettmen .

Mario has to start looking out for HIMSELF , as no one esle has done a lick for the poor man over the last 7 years .

Unfortunately, Bettman would rather have a team in Puerto Rico than bring another team to Canada.:cry:

mooseOAK*

Find a rich guy who says he can keep the team in Pittsburgh, deal somehow falls through, Mario throws up his hands and says he tried but what can you do?

Just a conspiracy theory.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
well its certainly an effort to press the city of pittsburgh to get plan B moving or leave for next year in KC. If this was say Florida it could move to Canada but not the Pens with Sidney, Gary B willnot let that team move out of the USA, that was clear why he tried to push Basille into a corner. Man this really blows 2 of the best young players in years going to a some hockey souless place like KC or Houston.:madfire:

JoeP

Dec 16, 2006
This is 100% posturing, as for months now, the county and state have made progress on the arena front.

Artyukhin*

well its certainly an effort to press the city of pittsburgh to get plan B moving or leave for next year in KC. If this was say Florida it could move to Canada but not the Pens with Sidney, Gary B willnot let that team move out of the USA, that was clear why he tried to push Basille into a corner. Man this really blows 2 of the best young players in years going to a some hockey souless place like KC or Houston.:madfire:

i agree with a reporter who said something along the lines of Bettmen doesnt want 2 of the games best young superstars in Canada ,hoping to grow the game in the Usa .Which Gary is failing horribly at anyways . :)

Killiecrankie*

If the pens move Mario better go back to canada and the friggen mayor, gov, and county ex better have plans for a new job. Before I move from this city ill vote them out of office. **** both parties im sick of this.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
It sounds like he didn't to be involved in owning the team if it stayed in Pittsburgh, but didn't want to lose out on the franchise value if the team was going to move.

I dont think thats the case, i think with the compressed time scale you have going on here, Pens could be gone by July, its impossible for Mario to get a sale completed while also working on a deal in Pittsburgh and looking at outside options.

Mario wants to sell the team but he isnt the only Share Holder remember, he has responsibilites to do whats best for both the team and his fellow board members.

Selling the team right now while its price is down so somebody else can move the team does nothing for the team or the board.

Taking the team off the market allows him to try to force the city into a better Plan B while also looking at potential outside options in case of failure. In that case he either gets a new Pittsburgh arena (win for team and board) or he has to move them out of town and then sell (lose for team, win for board).

Artyukhin*

If the pens move Mario better go back to canada and the friggen mayor, gov, and county ex better have plans for a new job. Before I move from this city ill vote them out of office. **** both parties im sick of this.

WHY would you even bame Mario ? If it wasnt for him the Pens would have been out of town 7 years ago !!!

All he has wanted is what you guys need a NEW RINK but kick in the head after kick in the head , how many can you expect a man to take tryin to run a bankrupt hockey team?

i dont get how anyone couldnt unstand Mario's frustration .
or even blame him if he leaves .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->