Proposal: Penguins-Sabres

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Sheary
Sabres trade McCabe

It's a pretty self explanatory trade I think. The Penguins have a surplus of 3rd line wingers, and they need a DFD to play with Oleksiak on the bottom pair. The Sabres have a surplus of 3rd pair defenseman, and they need a scoring LW to help with their top-9 scoring. Both of these guys are similarly aged and have had better seasons in the past than the seasons they had last year, so there is an upside with both of them (2nd line scorer for Sheary and solid #4 defenseman for McCabe). Any comments?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
This was proposed by someone else in a another Buffalo thread and I would do it. I doubt Buff does though seems like McCabe holds more value

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd do it from a Pens perspective. I'd even add a minor "+" (ie. maybe a 4th round pick or B-level prospect) as a sweetener.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would Penguins really do this?

*McCabe has teased us with top 4 potential a long time but he is very up and down. If Sheary is a product of Crosby/Malkin I can understand it from a Pens standpoint. As a Sabres fan I’d love this trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would Penguins really do this?

I don't see why not. It seems like Sheary is the one on the outs right now, unless something weird with Kessel happens. The Penguins have been reiterating that they need a defensive bottom pair D, and although they'd prefer a RD, Rutherford said he'd be fine with either. At least from what I have read about McCabe, he seems to be a middle ground between Cole and Dumoulin, so he's a DFD that has some physicality, can skate well and has decent puck moving talent. That's pretty much exactly what the Penguins need.

If McCabe was a RD, I think this trade would make even more sense, but I still think McCabe for Sheary is a very reasonable suggestion. Bonus points on it being reasonable because of Botterill, who was the guy who originally signed Sheary to an AHL contract and Botterill seems to like bringing in old players he knows from the Penguins (Scott Wilson and Kevin Porter are 2 that immediately jump to mind).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Deal. Give Buffalo a 3rd rounder to ease their ‘potential’ loss concerns.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't see why not. It seems like Sheary is the one on the outs right now, unless something weird with Kessel happens. The Penguins have been reiterating that they need a defensive bottom pair D, and although they'd prefer a RD, Rutherford said he'd be fine with either. At least from what I have read about McCabe, he seems to be a middle ground between Cole and Dumoulin, so he's a DFD that has some physicality, can skate well and has decent puck moving talent. That's pretty much exactly what the Penguins need.

If McCabe was a RD, I think this trade would make even more sense, but I still think McCabe for Sheary is a very reasonable suggestion. Bonus points on it being reasonable because of Botterill, who was the guy who originally signed Sheary to an AHL contract and Botterill seems to like bringing in old players he knows from the Penguins (Scott Wilson and Kevin Porter are 2 that immediately jump to mind).

Sullivan has some bias towards Sheary since they're family, I don't see him getting traded.

Why he would be on the outs anyways? 21 ES goals in 61 games and 16 ES goals in 79 games is good for $3mill, especially with his low ice time and constantly being put on his off wing.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Not a fan of Sheary, but he's serviceable.
throw in a 3rd to Buffalo and I'd do that trade.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sullivan has some bias towards Sheary since they're family, I don't see him getting traded.

Why he would be on the outs anyways? 21 ES goals in 61 games and 16 ES goals in 79 games is good for $3mill, especially with his low ice time and constantly being put on his off wing.

Because he does nothing come playoff time. 2 goals in his past 35 playoff games. And can't be trusted in the playoffs in big moments because of how bad he is defensively.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Sheary can play up and down the lineup, LW and RW, and puts up the majority of his points at ES. All that helps his value.

What hurts him is that he is small, streaky, doesn't PK and his best stretches have been while playing with Crosby (who doesn't play for Buffalo. I have no idea if he would mesh with Eichel or if Buff would even want to try that). He doesn't have any glaring deficiencies, but he's the kind of player that, when he's cold offensively, also doesn't have any plus qualities like fore checking, physicality, defensive ability etc to help you.

If the Pens didn't have Guentzel, we'd be happy to keep Sheary and let him ride shotgun with Sid. Jake the Snake is just better at that role though, as the last two playoffs have shown. The LW spot on L2/L3 needs to be filled with guys that can add a bit more than just scoring to compliment Kessel or who we think will be a top 9 RW this season, Sprong.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Good value but I wouldn’t do it.

Unlike most Sabres fans, I don’t freak out when a young player has a down year. I want to see McCabe have a bounce back year.

Reactions: Sabres

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
26 year old on reasonable contract for a 24 year old on a reasonable contract. This deal seems to meet at least two major stumbling blocks; contract size and team needs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd rather do Beaulieu for Sheary or McCabe for Rust

Unless he's improved over the last year, I'd rather not trade for Beaulieu's questionable defensive game. If the Pens add a defenseman, it's got to be someone who can be relied on to cover for Oleksiak's adventures in his own zone.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I remember when HFPIT was calling this dude a 1st liner a year or so ago. good times.

Plug Simon/Sprong/Aston reese into this l Penguins offense and probably any of those guys can replace him.

Sheary reminds me of Jimmy Vesey. Guys who can get you some goals here or there but very questionable players

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Sullivan isn't the GM, though. Rutherford is, and Rutherford is able to see the flaws in the roster and where something needs to give. Sheary is on the outs because he's a winger who should be playing on a scoring line, but there isn't a spot for him on a scoring line in Pittsburgh. The Penguins top-9 next season will be something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Brassard-Sprong

And Sheary just doesn't have a spot in this group. Along with that, the Penguins are pressed against the salary cap and have to address needs on defense, on the 4th line and IMO on the top-6 at LW. Sheary has to go to give them the ability to address other needs on the roster, Sheary for McCabe would be one of those ways to address a need. He's a solid player, he just is stuck in a numbers game in Pittsburgh and they need to use his cap elsewhere on the roster.

I remember when HFPIT was calling this dude a 1st liner a year or so ago. good times.

Plug Simon/Sprong/Aston reese into this l Penguins offense and probably any of those guys can replace him.

Sheary reminds me of Jimmy Vesey. Guys who can get you some goals here or there but very questionable players

And for teams like Buffalo, they'd love to have guys like Jimmy Vesey (who I actually think is a fair comparable for Sheary), because it's a lot better to have guys like Vesey in your top-9 than guys like Scott Wilson.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, how silly to think a guy who had 53 points in 61 games (most of which at ES) was a 1st liner. Only Penguins fans are ever wrong with their predictions of a player after an outstanding season. No one else on HF makes that same mistake.

Sprong maybe. But the other two have so far to go that saying the above downplays Sheary.

Contrary to popular belief, you can't just plug anyone into a lineup and have them score 23 and 18 goals, respectably, with little to no PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->