Penguins Power Play Scoring At Historic Clip

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
It's funny because its definitely a case of the parts being greater than their sum... it's just too much talent not to succeed and honestly, it isn't even a classically effective powerplay. If you watch it, it looks awkward, not the controlled smoothness of other great powerplays.

Take the Capitals: Mike Green and Ovechkin bombed the puck from the point. That was their powerplay. Movement, shot from the point. Same with the Canadien powerplay with Surray-movement, shot from the point.

The Penguins.... man I'd be so frustrated playing against them. Philly was eating us for lunch in the first last night. Out hustling, blocking lanes. The Pens were playing lazy, not supporting the puck. Bam, two ridiculously skilled passes and an open net powerplay goal. That is NOT the sign of a well coached, well executed powerplay. That is the sign of five guys so damn talented they can NOT not succeed!

Still, interesting to watch. Hornqvist is the key to that unit.

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I mean honestly, with those 5 guys (or Schultz instead of Letang), we should be leading the league in PP scoring every year. Show me another team whos 5 man unit even comes close to the talent level the Pens have on PP1.

- Hornqvist is the best net front guy in the league
- Crosby is the best boards/in tight/deflection guy in the league
- Malkin is at worst top 3 on the half wall
- There are better RHS one timer shooters than Kessel, but he might have the best wrist shot in the league
- Letang isn't perfect, but he's great getting the puck in, and he distributes well to Kessel/Malkin

What's not to love?

Reactions: ncm7772

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I imagine it’s a hard PP to coach. These guys are elite and so skilled at passing they probably think they could pass through anything.

Instinct probably takes over at some point with all those guys on the ice rather than sticking to the X’s and O’s

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The underlying averages are good but this PP is so underwhelming at times. It's not consistent. There were a couple weeks in January or earlier where it was like a 50% clip and then weeks recently where they were like 1 out of 17 or 18. Sometimes people are feet their feet, shooting and using deception. And other times it looks like a lazy, hot mess....
The numbers I think are misleading....

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
The underlying averages are good but this PP is so underwhelming at times. It's not consistent. There were a couple weeks in January or earlier where it was like a 50% clip and then weeks recently where they were like 1 out of 17 or 18. Sometimes people are feet their feet, shooting and using deception. And other times it looks like a lazy, hot mess....
I don’t think it’s misleading at all. Superbly talented but sometimes inconsistent because there’s a lot of free lancing.

Just because it’s fathomable that they could do better because they get lazy at times doesn’t mean the way they’ve put the puck in the net is any kind of a mirage. They’re just so good that despite their bad habits at times they’re still the best unit in the league.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

No, they’re not. People who believe that the Penguins powerplay is in any way inefficient must not watch much around the league. No team in pro hockey is going to get the consistency you are dreaming of here unless they get to play the Oilers at home every single game.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is it really that historic though? We're not talking about the 89-90 Pens or the 55-56 Habs. It's a good powerplay, but certainly only in the context of contemporary hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->