Speculation: Penguins looking to trade Bryan Rust?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
If we can’t get a reasonable return on Rust I’d be interested in seeing what we could get for Kessel. Rust is a proven guy you can win with and can be put anywhere in the top 9. If he were a natural LW I wouldn’t want to move him at all.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, wrong guy to trade Pittsberg....Although by all means.

Sheary is the guy you trade, not Rust. Rust is actually a good player.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's a nice complimentary winger. But unless the team acquiring him has a Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin to send him out there with, that production mostly evaporates. He's never hit 40 with them, I'm convinced he would never do it without them. He's a middle six depth winger that can you can afford to play higher in the lineup if someone else is driving the offense. Props to Chayka for turning that offer down.

Lol considering Rust is better away from Crosby or Malkin, as he likes to carry the puck. The team getting him wouldn't have to worry about having a star Centre to make him good.

He's a 20 goal, 40 point player(while seeing no Power play time) anywhere.

He's also a fantastic PKer and defensive winger, rarely has a bad game, consistently good.

Rust has more even strenght goals in the playoffs since the 2016 playoffs than Malkin,Crosby and Kessel. Rust is a fantastic player who gives you secondary scoring, and solid defensive play, Pens would be foolish to trade him imo.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He was on pace for 40 points in 2016-2017 and was on pace for 45 points this season. He's not a "20-30 point winger without Crosby and Malkin", that's a ridiculous claim to make. I think you're just underrating Rust here. I don't know if he brings back Fabbri or a Fabbri equivalent player, but that's the kind of player the Penguins are probably looking at for Rust.

If I had to guess, they'd either want to do something like the rumored Domi offer (Rust+ for Domi) or they'd want to get basically a LW version of Rust that's either cheaper or younger. The latter is similar to the Hagelin deal from 2015, where the Rangers more or less traded him straight up for Emerson Etem (it was Etem and a mid 2nd for Hagelin, a late 2nd and a 4th IIRC). Hagelin is probably the best player comparison for Rust, although Rust is more skilled and versatile.

Like how this dude just ignores that Rust missed games so he can push his "Rust is a 20-30 point player" narrative. Totally ignoring that he was on pace for 40 and 45 points the past two years, basically all at 5v5 or SH.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'd want Fabbri for Rust, which is more in line with the Penguins going after Domi with using Rust as a trade chip. I think the purpose of trading Rust would be:

1. Saving some money on RW, since they have Kessel and Hornqvist making $12.1 million combined and Sprong likely getting a nice raise in the near future if he hits
2. Balancing out the RW/LW depth, since the Penguins are horribly imbalanced right now on the wings
3. Getting some more skill to play with Crosby and Malkin, since they really only have 1 skilled LWer in Guentzel. I feel like Sheary is very likely being traded this week.
Very, very high on Rust. I would love him on the Blues! I like the Fabbri idea, but I think the Pens add a bit.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
"We need to get deeper... balance throughout our lineup."

Trading Rust would sure accomplish that.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What sort of a contract is Rust looking at going forward do you think? I sure would hate to see STL trade off something aside from a Berglund or Sobotka for Rust and then in return see Rust have the same sort of contract with the same sort of production and become the whipping boy like Berglund and Sobotka.

We ideally need to shed one of Sobotka or Berglund or in the very least fill out the top 6 to allow them to play on the 3rd instead of having either one of them are into the 1st and 2nd line roles due to our deficiencies up front of filling out each line.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
What sort of a contract is Rust looking at going forward do you think? I sure would hate to see STL trade off something aside from a Berglund or Sobotka for Rust and then in return see Rust have the same sort of contract with the same sort of production and become the whipping boy like Berglund and Sobotka.

We ideally need to shed one of Sobotka or Berglund or in the very least fill out the top 6 to allow them to play on the 3rd instead of having either one of them are into the 1st and 2nd line roles due to our deficiencies up front of filling out each line.

I think something around 3m AAV would satisfy both sides.

Sheary is probably what we'd be willing to give up for someone like Sobotka.

Berglund isn't needed with Brassard on the team. If you want Rust it would take a better piece than Sobotka/Berglund.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Sorry, zero interest in Sheary. We have enough LSH LW's. I would honestly consider Fabbri for Rust straight up.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The people who are saying Rust needs a Crosby or Malkin to be productive have apparently not watched the Penguins at all. Rust isn't even good with Crosby. Or should I say Crosby isn't himself with Rust. I think that's more accurate.

Rust is versatile and solid everywhere. He's a player who can play any situation and not look out of place. I am a huge fan of what he brings to the Penguins and would be bummed if they moved him.

Lucic for rust?

I just want to know why you think this is a good trade. It is ****ing horrendous. I mean no offense to you as a person, but that is how I would react if the trade were made.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
Rust is listed as a RW, but he played a lot of LW too, moving up and down the lineup. Go back to the start of the 2017 playoffs the Rust-Malkin-Kessel line dominated Columbus in the first round that playoff run.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"We need to get deeper... balance throughout our lineup."

Trading Rust would sure accomplish that.

If you assume that he means "balance" as in LW/RW balance, it makes sense because the Penguins are absurdly deep on RW and Rust is a RW. If you think he means "balance" as in offense/defense in the bottom-6, it makes sense because the Penguins have a lot of defensive wingers in the bottom-6 and they need more skill there. It makes sense in either way you look at it.

I think he's looking at about a $3 million cap hit. That's not a problem for him, it's just a problem because the Penguins are paying Hornqvist and Kessel as much as they're paying him. Like I said on the first page, I'd personally want to do Rust+ for Fabbri, but I may be convinced to do Rust for Sobotka if that's the best offer out there.

There would have to be an add from the Pens, but what about something around Tyler Toffoli for Bryan Rust+ ?

If we're talking about LA, I would rather target Pearson than Toffoli if they're trading Rust. Pearson makes a lot more sense from the Penguins POV and I'm not sure the Kings would trade a skilled offensive winger in Toffoli over an all around winger in Pearson.

C'mon man.

I'd like to see Rust in an Oilers jersey but I certainly wouldn't give up a young player on an ELC like Puljujarvi or Yamamoto to do it. I'm not certain what would entice Rutherford to trade him. Could the Penguins use a player like Strome?

The only positions Strome plays are positions that the Penguins are already really deep in, so no, not really.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If you assume that he means "balance" as in LW/RW balance, it makes sense because the Penguins are absurdly deep on RW and Rust is a RW. If you think he means "balance" as in offense/defense in the bottom-6, it makes sense because the Penguins have a lot of defensive wingers in the bottom-6 and they need more skill there. It makes sense in either way you look at it.

I think he's looking at about a $3 million cap hit. That's not a problem for him, it's just a problem because the Penguins are paying Hornqvist and Kessel as much as they're paying him. Like I said on the first page, I'd personally want to do Rust+ for Fabbri, but I may be convinced to do Rust for Sobotka if that's the best offer out there.

If we're talking about LA, I would rather target Pearson than Toffoli if they're trading Rust. Pearson makes a lot more sense from the Penguins POV and I'm not sure the Kings would trade a skilled offensive winger in Toffoli over an all around winger in Pearson.

The only positions Strome plays are positions that the Penguins are already really deep in, so no, not really.

Fair enough.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I would really rather see the Pens trade Sheary than Rust if they're looking to move a middle 6 winger. I think Rust's game is much more consistent.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I would really rather see the Pens trade Sheary than Rust if they're looking to move a middle 6 winger. I think Rust's game is much more consistent.

And if you replace Rust with Sprong, then who is going to be killing penalties?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I'd want Fabbri for Rust, which is more in line with the Penguins going after Domi with using Rust as a trade chip. I think the purpose of trading Rust would be:

1. Saving some money on RW, since they have Kessel and Hornqvist making $12.1 million combined and Sprong likely getting a nice raise in the near future if he hits
2. Balancing out the RW/LW depth, since the Penguins are horribly imbalanced right now on the wings
3. Getting some more skill to play with Crosby and Malkin, since they really only have 1 skilled LWer in Guentzel. I feel like Sheary is very likely being traded this week.
Rust would not get Domi. Rutherford offered both sheary and Rust for Domi (separately I assume- but it may have taken the package of them). Either or... both of those pieces alone need a +.

ARI wanted Guentzel and that’s why the deal fell through. Idk Guentzels numbers away from Crosby, but his value could be lowered if he’s just a product of him. Rutherford wouldn’t do that.

Galchenyuk for Domi was the value they were looking for. Idk who has more value in Galchenyuk or Guentzel, but I assume they got the better player in Galchenyuk, but again idk really.

If you’re looking for cheaper depth- this may not be the most sought after trade. Rust is a good producer and PKer in a B6 role. You’d be trying to find someone like him that makes less money.

Sobotka, Pageau, Boedker, Grabner, Frolik are similar options. (Yes I know Boedker was just traded and some are more expensive than rust right now). You can always package salary tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad