Penguins Arena Talk (merged)

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
doug mckenzie said:
canadain dollar now 87 cents vs the us dollar and climbing .
the econimics are looking alot better than they were at 64 cents i must admit . i just dont think betmen wants to go back to the same markets that were left not so many years ago in canada . he probally see's others usa markets that are more attractive ( in his mind)

I think another hockey franchise in Canada would be great but I don't see it happening because Canadians will support hockey with or without a team. Some fringe US markets might be converted to hockey markets with the presence of a team. Portland has only the Trailblazers NBA team and there is quite a negative perception of the team from what I have heard. Kansas City also has only one team, the Chiefs. Maybe if a team (and God I pray its not my Pens) were in town, they would be converted to hockey fans.

Claypool_*

doug mckenzie said:
he probally see's others usa markets that are more attractive ( in his mind)

Don't act like there have never been any Canadian NHL teams in financial trouble. :biglaugh:

Bettman already saved canadian teams by getting a cap. Get off his *** already.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
doug mckenzie said:
canadain dollar now 87 cents vs the us dollar and climbing .
the econimics are looking alot better than they were at 64 cents i must admit . i just dont think betmen wants to go back to the same markets that were left not so many years ago in canada . he probally see's others usa markets that are more attractive ( in his mind)

The world is in a state of bizarre currency flux. While it may take a few years to correct, the relative strength of the loonie is a temporary phenomenon and will reverse.

Hockeycanada*

Bring Back Bucky said:
The world is in a state of bizarre currency flux. While it may take a few years to correct, the relative strength of the loonie is a temporary phenomenon and will reverse.
As I mentioned in another thread, many economists are predicting that the CDN dollar will eventually surpass it's American counterpart. The Canadian dollar will stay at least around the level it's at right now, and most likely higher for years to come. The dollar is no longer an issue.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
doug mckenzie said:
i just dont think betmen wants to go back to the same markets that were left not so many years ago in canada . he probally see's others usa markets that are more attractive ( in his mind)
I really don't think Bettman cares where a team goes.

For the economics point, I more meant that when various cities make a pitch to Mario, the larger US ones will probably look more attractive with their very generous tax breaks and big potential. Canada's best bet for getting a team is to talk some very rich fan to buy a team and move it to a Canadian city like Saskatoon. Other than that, they'll face stiff competition from some US cities looking to add another sports team.

roryb

Jul 20, 2005
The Canadian Dollar used to be worth more than the American Dollar, and it's actually weird (and happened because of the Quebec referendums), that the dollar was so much lower than the American.

Our economy runs closely with the Americans, and ya it could even keep going up, although I doubt our government would allow it to for trade purposes.

Artyukhin*

Bring Back Bucky said:

yes but not as long as oil prices stay high . canada's currency is now called nicknamed the " petro currency" and we got alot of oil and the econmy is very robust due to this very fact . the usa wants it the chinese want our oil and were selling it like there no tommrow . were blessed with huge oil reserves . not so sure your ever goona see a 65 cent canadain dollar again for along along time . you could very well see the canadain dollar at par(even) or better to the american dollar in the near future (1-2 years) that would not suprise me .

smarter canadain owners and there financial advisors will
" lock in " there currency rates long before any down turn . canada's dollar was in my opinion kept artifically low for many years by the canadain govt as it created alot of jobs and exporting due to cheap canadain goods . now we got oil some are calling us the next saudia arabia .times have changes due to very high oil prices
the days of 20 dollar oil are gone . even at 40 dollar oil canada will be changed for many years ( 40 -50) until the oil starts to run out

if the canadian dollar stay at par or better new hockey teams in canada might be the new rage

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
hearing this news reminds me of the pre Jagr and pre kovalev trade era. PIT fans insisting they wouldnt be dumped for scraps because of x and y and z reasons. sure enough, dumped for scraps.

then, PIT wont move because of a and b and c reasons. sure enough, chances are great they are going to move. PIT fans live in denial, although I feel very sad for them.

they should plant all of their anger at the feet of Howard Baldwin. At one point he had the single most marketable hockey team and player on the planet and 2 stanley cups to show for it. instead of reinvesting the money that brought in (say like Vancouver who privatly finances their own arena), he put it in his pocket instead. well within his rights as the owner, but surely a large part of why they (PIT and conversly VAN) are whey they are today.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Resolute said:
An American sports owner spending his own money on a building?

Surely you jest!

:sarcasm:

Over half ($72 of $127.5 million) the construction cost of the HSBC Arena was privately financed. The Pens would stand a much better chance of getting public financing if they committed some of their own dollars. The days of the taxpayers bearing the entire cost are pretty much over. If Mario wants to get it done, he needs to bring in a minority owner(s) with deep pockets who will guarantee a privately financed arena loan for 40-60% of the cost and use that as leverage to get public financing.

Transported Upstater

I do not want to see the Pens leave Pittsburgh.

That would be heartbreaking, and I'm not even a Pens fan.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
Hmmmm ... private financing anyone ???

The big problem with private financing is the debt service. The SF Giants are paying over $25M a year on their debt from building Pac Bell (no, SBC, no, AT&T) Park. That puts them at a competitive disadvantage - that's $25M that can't be spent on starting pitching. And look at Portland, where Paul Allen put up a good chunk of the private financing for the Rose Garden - he (actually the company he set up to build/operate the Rose Garden) finally declared bankruptcy to get out from under the construction debt.

Now, then, given all of that, why would Mario (or any other ownership group) get involved in a privately funded arena when there are existing, already funded and built (or soon to be) arenas in Houston, Kansas City, Portland, OKC, and hell, even Winnepeg, that are looking for tenants and could probably cut Mario a much better deal without all the hassles, so he can finally walk away with his $$$s.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
_habsfan9 said:
move detroit to the east move the jets to the west and everything is set. however break up the north east division

make it so its

detroit,montreal,toronto,ottawa,buffalo

and get rid of the new nhl schedule well there at it.

thanks for making our division easier ;)

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
More good news...

http://post-gazette.com/pg/05354/625099.stm

Latest developments...

Penguins find arena funds - Partner in $1 billion plan would build facility

The Penguins will arrange for $1 billion in regional development, let the city take ownership of the arena, and won't profit from slots revenue. That proposal is going to be VERY hard to beat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05355/625661.stm

The Penguins have scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. ET Wednesday.

Artyukhin*

Wingman said:
More good news...

http://post-gazette.com/pg/05354/625099.stm

Latest developments...

Penguins find arena funds - Partner in $1 billion plan would build facility

The Penguins will arrange for $1 billion in regional development, let the city take ownership of the arena, and won't profit from slots revenue. That proposal is going to be VERY hard to beat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05355/625661.stm

The Penguins have scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. ET Wednesday.

congrats

good christmas present for all the pens fans :clap:

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
where is this press conference? What's going on? Doesn't even seem like any progress is being made...

Let me get this straight... The penguins are just showing the city their bid for the slots liscense in essence? It still says they need the slots liscense for this thing to go through. Also the Article above states that their is a Option for a 1 year lease which means nothing at all if they don't get the new arena.

It all seems like old news to me.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
I understand... at this point for pens fans any positive news is exciting, but seriously... what is the difference? It all involves the slots liscense that pretty much everyone knows they have to get.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Squiddy said:
I understand... at this point for pens fans any positive news is exciting, but seriously... what is the difference? It all involves the slots liscense that pretty much everyone knows they have to get.

Because now they're laying out specifics. That's very important.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
It's also good to see that they are working on two plans, one involving the slot money and one without. Although it will be tougher without the slots at least they are trying to develope a backup plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad