Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Sabres 4 (OT) - A Win is Nice, But These are Hard Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquorLicense

Jan 9, 2017
Here's what I learned-- or more precisely relearned-- tonight: The ball is in JR's court. Not much of a market, but you're not firing the coach, Sid and Geno can only do so much, and it's clear this team needs SOMETHING to jump start them . . . and by SOMETHING, I don't mean a 5-4 OT 'win' against Buffalo at home. As I keep saying, I get why JR didn't go crazy this summer. You can never undo crazy changes if they don't work out, but you can stand relatively pat and fix things later if it doesn't pan out. Well, it's LATER. And, by it's later, I mean RIGHT NOW.

Using Sheary as a trade piece is looking less and less intelligent, especially with what appears to be a pretty discounted cap hit (assuming he continues his good play and shows up in the playoffs this year). So since we have no more money, who do you even offer to acquire a 3C to jump start the team, Sprong? I don't like that idea. A 1st? I don't like that idea either. I think coach needs to Frankenstein Sheahan into a legit 3C over the next 20 games, and if someone becomes available at the deadline you jump on it. Maybe JR makes a move soon, but I think the chance the org is forced to gut this out is high.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Weirdly enough, maybe Sully needs a Tocchet-like AC to run the forwards again? That's really the only thing I can thing of that explains the weirdness of Sullivan's line usage lately. It's like he forgot how to bench manage over the summer. :dunno:

It’s certainly possible that the composition of the coaching staff was key and we lost Tocchet. It could be as simple as losing a voice in the room and Botteril could be the same thing.

...Tocchet should be available again in... a month?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well, haven´t seen a word about him in whole pgt... But man, Jake Guentzel was weak again. Sid actually played well for most of the game and Guentzel was killing game anyway. And I am saying that as his huge fan. I don´t know what´s the problem with him but it´s not good. Kessel keeps on being our best player so I have to give him credit. He is playing really well now. Hornqvist played a big game too, we just don´t win this game without one of these two..
my words exact, and its a big enough sample...real issue here..I am afraid..

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Weirdly enough, maybe Sully needs a Tocchet-like AC to run the forwards again? That's really the only thing I can thing of that explains the weirdness of Sullivan's line usage lately. It's like he forgot how to bench manage over the summer. :dunno:

It's strange right now because he's saying the right things, but his line up decisions are not matching up with his words. I'll give him all the time in the world, though, because the guy pushed every right button. He doesn't seem arrogant like Bylsma to make the same wrong decision over and over expecting a different result, although it's getting close w/ Letang on the PP and Kuhn.

And that's what people don't get. Bylsma didn't fail because he had a few wrong choices. Bylsma fails as a coach because he refuses to adapt and change. Sully has shown more than any coach i've ever seen he's willing to give enough time, stay patient, and then learn from mistakes. That's all you can ask for in a coach. As long as he doesn't turn into a stubborn coach w/ these decisions, we are fine. And he deserves as much rope as he wants.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe it’s time to try Jake at 3C. He can’t be any worse than Sheahan.

I was just thinking about this. If Sprong comes up, it gives us the luxury to try him there unless we decide hagelin isn't good enough for the top 9.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The third line has been outstanding the last two games, why would Sullivan mess with that line right now? If Sheahan wasn't supporting his linemates in all three zones, this line wouldn't be effective.

I swear people just see what they want...

Sheahan and Hagelin need to start scoring, but they are doing a lot of good things to help their respective lines right now. It blows they aren't potting goals, but that doesn't mean they are liabilities, and both of these lines are looking good and producing.

If both lines keep rolling, it may help both work their way out of their scoring funks.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe it’s time to try Jake at 3C. He can’t be any worse than Sheahan.

I think this could really help Jake (with lesser matchups) and the team, and I've been leaning this way for a couple weeks. I'd like to see something like

Sheary-Sid-Sprong
Rust-Geno-Phil
Hags-Jake-Horny
Some combo of McKegg, Rowney, Archi, Reaves and Sheahan

First line somewhat weak defensively but trade off for better, offensively threatening third line. Give the first line more O zone starts or play them as the second line....

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
The third line has been outstanding the last two games, why would Sullivan mess with that line right now? If Sheahan wasn't supporting his linemates in all three zones, this line wouldn't be effective.

Sheahan and Hagelin need to start scoring, but they are doing a lot of good things to help their respective lines right now. It blows they aren't potting goals, but that doesn't mean they are liabilities, and both of these lines are looking good and producing.

If both lines keep rolling, it may help both work their way out of their scoring funks.
Yeah, I thought that was Sheahan's best game so far. His skating looked much better.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
For most of the season the pens have been winning games with special teams and getting outplayed at even strength.

I feel like the last 5 games its been the complete opposite, pens even strength has improved, but they are now losing the special teams battle.

Hopefully they can get everything clicking here shortly and go on a nice run.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Schultz has to be on the number one powerplay. No excuse for him not to be. If Letang pouts and cries so be it he sucks. Schultz is just so calm and poised. He freezes defenders and gives so much space to Geno and Phil.

Letang is a magical bobbler cannot make a pass and sucks at every aspect of the game that involves thinking...

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Btw.. Greg McKegg - 73% faceoffs. 8/11. Really nice stuff. The guy is an underrated 4th liner. He makes plays and gets chances. Better than the other bottom guys like Kuhn, Reaves, Sheahan, and hell even Hags.

Honestly, I don't think McKegg is a bad 4th line center. He's no Matt Cullen, but I don't think he's as bad as some people make him seem.

With that being said, I would love to see an upgrade. And if he stays, he needs to start scoring a goal here and there.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Baby steps. The last two games has been more like what I expect from this team. The offense is starting to get going, slowly but surely. I wouldn't mess with the lines right now because they seem to be working for the most part. Hagelin is still killing all offense from Line 2 but Geno and Phil are on such a role that we can 'hide' Hagelin for the time being. The first line is getting better, but still has room for improvement. The third line looked great last night, hopefully more to come. Line 4 has been fine ever since Rowney got hurt, tbh. McKegg and Reaves are noticeable every night. I'd like to see Archibald play a little more, and Kuhnhackl a little less, but it's fine.

I wonder what happens when Hunwick is ready. I assume he'll slide in next to Maatta and Ruhwedel will go to the press box, but he has played well enough to keep his job imo.

JR will make a deal, at some point.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Honestly, I don't think McKegg is a bad 4th line center. He's no Matt Cullen, but I don't think he's as bad as some people make him seem.

With that being said, I would love to see an upgrade. And if he stays, he needs to start scoring a goal here and there.

I'm fine with McKegg as the fourth line center, but only with an upgrade at 3C. If we're not going to replace the offense Cullen brought, our 4C needs to be good at faceoffs and bring the speed and pressure, which he's been doing well.

I also don't really agree that our third line has been outstanding. To me that's just as delusional as saying they've been terrible.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, I thought that was Sheahan's best game so far. His skating looked much better.

He's doing a lot of dirty work down low and helping his line transition well out of their zone and through the NZ.

His line is really starting to click, so we should start to have a good idea in the next mo or two if Sheahan is a an answer or not.

Either way, I expect they will find an answer there before April, so no real biggie.

Hagelin is still killing all offense from Line 2 but Geno and Phil are on such a role that we can 'hide' Hagelin for the time being.

Hags doesn't need to be hidden. His hustle, boardwork and work in the Pens zone really benefits that line. The problem is his inability to bury pucks. I think Sullivan has found the right combos for now and needs to just let them play.

I also don't really agree that our third line has been outstanding. To me that's just as delusional as saying they've been terrible.

I'd counter you are delusional if you expect more out of them given what they have done the last two games.

If people aren't happy with that, they have very unrealistic expectations for a third line.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I’m not seeing the issue with Sullivan. He’s rotating Schultz and Letang and Guentzel and PH on the top PP unit. I actually like that because it allows the stars to stay out there longer with fresher legs surrounding them.

Letang isn’t Schultz as a QB. But I’m not going to bitch about Sullivan giving him looks on the PP.

In terms of the lineup, sure I’d swap Archibald for Kuhn, but again, in November it’s not a big deal.

Reactions: Shady Machine

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The Pens' season so far.

um1Lisu.gif

h71Lhfe.gif
Those geniuses didn't even look for traffic when continuing across the road. Paging Mr. Darwin...

So wait....are we turning on Sully? I don't spend as much time on here since the update not I'm getting that feeling

I read Cole's rant in Preds post game and I tend to agree but others I get the feeling are def ready to turn on him which.... Is scary
Hell no. I'd almost blow the team up before even considering firing Sullivan. He's got his blind spots, like every coach, but he's night and day better than anyone out there. He came in and was a huge part of fixing the horrendous culture of this organization and turning the whole thing around.

I agree. I really liked the 3rd line and I see a lot of good from Sheahan. He may not be producing right now but he elevates the whole line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think McKegg is just a better version of Rowney, a 4th line forward who could play center, but ideally he's on the wing with a better 4C at center. He's a perfectly fine 4th liner, but ideally he's on wing with a guy like Goc as the center. I don't think McKegg is any worse than guys like Lappiere or Vitale, though.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
We simply need a tweener center. A guy who is between a second and a third liner and that would shift the whole dynamic of this team. I'd really like to get a guy like Ryan O'Reilly out of Buffalo but that might be wishful thinking

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think this could really help Jake (with lesser matchups) and the team, and I've been leaning this way for a couple weeks. I'd like to see something like

Sheary-Sid-Sprong
Rust-Geno-Phil
Hags-Jake-Horny
Some combo of McKegg, Rowney, Archi, Reaves and Sheahan

First line somewhat weak defensively but trade off for better, offensively threatening third line. Give the first line more O zone starts or play them as the second line....

Gretchen, stop trying to make Sprong happen! It's not going to happen!

Reactions: Badfish87

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Also, for the love of God give Archie some games. We could use an injection of speed and hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad