Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Sabres 4 (OT) - A Win is Nice, But These are Hard Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Its mostly mental things holding us back... sid and geno look fine when engaged but obviously are taking a back seat a lot this year.... A lot of guys are having bad puck luck and gripping the stick hard right now... the goals will come.... then they press less and aren't irresponsible defensively...

Its a dam that will break, but we may need a nudge or two to get there

Sid doesn't want to shoot the puck until it's already behind the goalie atm. He's getting some looks, he's controlling the puck along the boards, but you can see the second he has space he's gliding and looking for passes instead of attacking the net and using his shot. He's playing like Phil without the shot instead of like Sid. Geno is also looking pass, pass, pass but at least he's attacking the net. Those two need to lead from the front, make short passes, cut to the net, look to shoot. The same thing on the PP. The other stuff will open up after that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If I'm Rutherford, I'm looking for a player with better skating ability and maybe less offensive ability and a plus for Maatta right now.

It is clear having a player like Daley or Hainsey who could skate in our top four was more vital than Maatta and while I think he works right now, he just doesn't fit in our top four.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because?

Reaves played another good game... or is this board doing their one play analysis again?

Kuhn is the one who needs an upgrade. He looks like a guy straight out of the E.

Yeah, Reaves actually looked pretty good outside of a weird penalty where Okposo literally put his head into Reaves elbow after Reaves tucked his arm to avoid elbowing him.

I'm honestly constantly surprised how clean Reaves game is.

Reactions: wtd and Badfish87

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Here's what I learned-- or more precisely relearned-- tonight: The ball is in JR's court. Not much of a market, but you're not firing the coach, Sid and Geno can only do so much, and it's clear this team needs SOMETHING to jump start them . . . and by SOMETHING, I don't mean a 5-4 OT 'win' against Buffalo at home. As I keep saying, I get why JR didn't go crazy this summer. You can never undo crazy changes if they don't work out, but you can stand relatively pat and fix things later if it doesn't pan out. Well, it's LATER. And, by it's later, I mean RIGHT NOW.

Maybe that thing is an injury because it’s this team...

But for real, maybe we look back on this game and what looks like a comeback against Nashville to lose in the SO as the team building positively. Idk what’s going to happen with them this season. They look like a team that thinks it can flip a switch when it matters. Maybe they can but I think they’re further away from the flip switched state this season compared to last season.

Reactions: KIRK

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd treat the 4th line as a your play warrants your press box time.
Reaves doesn't deserve the press box atm. Kuhn does.
When Rowney gets back, he's in the battle and 2 sit.

Dunno why they're so scared of a minimal change in Archie in for Kuhn.
Guess coaches will always be in love with bigger players/shot blockers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens' season so far.

um1Lisu.gif

h71Lhfe.gif

1288719242_drunk-almost-hit-by-truck.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Btw.. Greg McKegg - 73% faceoffs. 8/11. Really nice stuff. The guy is an underrated 4th liner. He makes plays and gets chances. Better than the other bottom guys like Kuhn, Reaves, Sheahan, and hell even Hags.
He should seriously start as 3C next game. What is the downside? We don’t want to hurt Sheahan’s feelings?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If I'm Rutherford, I'm looking for a player with better skating ability and maybe less offensive ability and a plus for Maatta right now.

It is clear having a player like Daley or Hainsey who could skate in our top four was more vital than Maatta and while I think he works right now, he just doesn't fit in our top four.

Well the funny thing is, Carolina could be a good dance partner for that. You get Carolina to retain nothing on Staal and we get Hanifin too, send them Hagelin, Maatta, the 1st, and a solid prospect not named Sprong hopefully (they can have Jarry if they retain on Ward and send us a pick back too).

Hanifin is more like Dumoulin in terms of ability (big, skates very very well, has some offense to his game, solid in his own end, LD).

Losing Jarry would suck, but we get a solid veteran goalie in Ward, likely a final season type of deal (hey an old fart to rally around! JR and his Canes guys!) and it's not like we don't have Gustavsson.

Guentzel, Crosby, Sprong
Rust, Malkin, Kessel
Sheary, Staal, Hornqvist
Archibald, Sheahan, Reaves

Dumoulin, Letang
Hanifin, Schultz
Cole, Ruhwedel
*Corrado/Hunwick*

Murray
Ward

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Here's what I learned-- or more precisely relearned-- tonight: The ball is in JR's court. Not much of a market, but you're not firing the coach, Sid and Geno can only do so much, and it's clear this team needs SOMETHING to jump start them . . . and by SOMETHING, I don't mean a 5-4 OT 'win' against Buffalo at home. As I keep saying, I get why JR didn't go crazy this summer. You can never undo crazy changes if they don't work out, but you can stand relatively pat and fix things later if it doesn't pan out. Well, it's LATER. And, by it's later, I mean RIGHT NOW.

Seriously though, what realistic move does he have? We can bring up people from WBS, which I've endorsed, but that's on Sully really to play them over Kuhn, for example, which we know he won't do because Kuhn is his Holy Grail (I mean Tanner Glass). Don't you think if there was a solid trade available to help this team right now he'd be doing it?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well the funny thing is, Carolina could be a good dance partner for that. You get Carolina to retain nothing on Staal and we get Hanifin too, send them Hagelin, Maatta, the 1st, and a solid prospect not named Sprong hopefully (they can have Jarry if they retain on Ward and send us a pick back too).

Hanifin is more like Dumoulin in terms of ability (big, skates very very well, has some offense to his game, solid in his own end, LD).

Losing Jarry would suck, but we get a solid veteran goalie in Ward, likely a final season type of deal (hey an old fart to rally around! JR and his Canes guys!) and it's not like we don't have Gustavsson.

Guentzel, Crosby, Sprong
Rust, Malkin, Kessel
Sheary, Staal, Hornqvist
Archibald, Sheahan, Reaves

Dumoulin, Letang
Hanifin, Schultz
Cole, Ruhwedel
*Corrado/Hunwick*

Murray
Ward

Why is Carolina trading Hanifin for a defenseman?

In what world does Dumoulin have any offense to his game?

Why is Carolina making any type of trade that isn't for solid offensive help when they have games on hand on everyone in the division and could very easily be in a playoff spot with a couple wins?

If we are moving Maatta for Hanifin straight up you are probably adding a first.

I'm talking like a Muzzin or Tanev type player if we are adding.

If we aren't adding I'm looking at maybe like Colin Miller from the Knights or like Stephen Johns from Dallas with some incentive picks.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Hanifin has never impressed me. (although I haven't seen a ton of their games)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well at least at the end of the season this game will only mean 2 points and nothing else. Although it’d be nice to win a bit easier right now.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
So wait....are we turning on Sully? I don't spend as much time on here since the update not I'm getting that feeling

I read Cole's rant in Preds post game and I tend to agree but others I get the feeling are def ready to turn on him which.... Is scary

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So wait....are we turning on Sully? I don't spend as much time on here since the update not I'm getting that feeling

No, just the usual white noise of Letang sucks on the powerplay, Crosby could produce 120 points with the right wingers, this other guy that plays less minutes than our stars could easily produce because he had a brief stretch, etc.

If anyone turns on Sullivan they are completely foolish. Obviously, there will come a time when our team tunes him out, but last year's defense and usage of them should be a testament to how unBylsma he is.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Penguins: "We have to cut back on Letang's minutes"

*Plays Letang over 25 minutes, while no other defenseman plays 20 minutes*

Um, do they even remember what they say to the press?

Reactions: ColePens

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Are you predicting a deal in the next 10 days?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I read Cole's rant in Preds post game and I tend to agree but others I get the feeling are def ready to turn on him which.... Is scary

I would caution one thing - I've stayed at one standard my entire time here on HF. I will bring up talking points in these PGTs based on a short time period. I think Sully deserves being called out for this season so far. He's not doing a great job. That doesn't mean I'm turning on him. That doesn't mean his credentials thus far are ignored. That doesn't mean he's a bad coach. But in relation to what he can do, he's making some mistakes on a consistent basis.

- Letang's minutes/powerplay time: Been discussed to death. Sully even says it and fails to act.

- Not dressing Archi: And once again, I'm not at practice so maybe he doesn't deserve it, but I find it hard to believe the shot of energy Archi brings couldn't give us something on a b2b.

- Odd line jumbling: Kuhn was in the top 6 this season. Why in the f***?

- Poor 4th line choices: This is the guy who said we are best when we are running 4 attacking lines with speed/skill. Why are Kuhn/Reaves standards if that's the identity?

- Last game using Sheahan for d-zone faceoffs. He was getting murdered. In-game adjustments are big. I would have used anyone but Sheahan when he kept getting rocked.

That being said, it's imperative to realize I'm not turning on him or saying he's a bad coach. He's just coaching pretty poorly thus far. There are some components limiting him (bottom 6 center depth), but he's also limiting himself.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because?

Reaves played another good game... or is this board doing their one play analysis again?

Kuhn is the one who needs an upgrade. He looks like a guy straight out of the E.

At this point, I'm convinced some folks will just give Reaves a negative no matter how he plays. With the amount of flak Reaves gets, you'd think he was playing like Kuhnhackl.

There's one guy on that 4th line who should *not* be in the lineup when everyone is healthy, yet for some reason a lot of folks focus on the wrong winger.

Reactions: wtd and Pens17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->