Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Sabres 1 - GQ Sweeps the Home and Home with Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Can someone confirm...i heard he started using Listerine?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Sucks we're gonna lose Jarry eventually but I'm going to enjoy the ride while he's here.

Some forgot or didn't realized before Murray played an NHL game we had Jarry as the most likely projected to take over MAF. Filip Gustavsson is also another goalie waiting in line and who is also projected as a #1. (And ive read he is a calm and cool as these 2) I agree we'll have tough choices to make when we come to them. Hopefully it won't be for a while.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well there was that hush hush Sully/Phil meeting in the summer. Other than that I assume it was a normal summer for Phil. Probably worked a little with Gary Roberts like he did the year before.

ETA: He did...

"Easy" would not be the word to describe Kessel's off-season training routine. He spent part of his summer working with Gary Roberts, who is considered ground zero when it comes to summertime workouts.
"Gary's a great trainer, and we have a great group," said Kessel, 30. "We have a lot of fun and we train hard."
"I think everybody in general is seeing, at 30, a decline in players' performances if they're not doing the right things off the ice," Roberts said. "I think Phil recognizes he needs to do a little more off the ice in order to keep him healthy and to give him [a chance] to be an elite player for a long period of time."

Reactions: td_ice and NEPA

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Well there was that hush hush Sully/Phil meeting in the summer. Other than that I assume it was a normal summer for Phil. Probably worked a little with Gary Roberts like he did the year before.

ETA: He did...

Hi, my name is Phil and I'm a hot dogaholic. I need Gary Roberts to help change my life. :thumbu:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Passed out just after this game started. Go me...

Really liked Hagelin's goal for someone who must have been a bit desperate for one, lotta patience and poise. Lot of confidence. If the swagger and fight you see in the goal highlights remains for the upcoming games, I like our chances. Can't believe that line scored a goal by someone who wasn't Bryan Rust!

Nice night for the PK too. Ain't no use having the stars run amok if the bottom 6 leak it all back out.

That two point night for Geno means our big 3 are all back at ppg. Shame the Tampa Two are running away the scoring rate or it would be a great battle for hardware this season, still 30 guys on ppg.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm sure there will be speed bumps at some point with Jarry but it's good to see him have some early success so that he knows he can do it.

It's puzzling why he wasn't on the team from the start. Kid had a 925 save percentage last season, and it was his second year in the AHL. It's easy to use hindsight of course but imo there was no reason not to pencil him in coming into this year. Two seasons in the AHL with his second being very good. He was ready.

Playing goal in WBS can inflate your numbers a bit. Jarry had some solid stats but DeSmith's were even better, so I imagine the brass wanted a bigger sample size before giving him a back-up role.

Ideally, you have a back-up with a little experience sharing the load when your starter is only 23 years old with just one full season on his own resume. Niemi could have filled that role nicely if he weren't ready for the glue factory, but he was cheap enough that he was worth the risk. Who ever heard of a defending champ with a 23 year old starter and a 22 year old back-up?

I mean, it's awesome but unorthodox as hell.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So, now that Jarry's stringing together some good games, why are people still talking about packaging him for mediocre trades? I'd think that as of right now, neither Murray nor Jarry would be available, outside of being insane overpayments.

Honestly, of all the places to look for tweaking, I'd say the goalie situation is as untouchable as the top 6 center situation.

Reactions: NEPA

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So, now that Jarry's stringing together some good games, why are people still talking about packaging him for mediocre trades? I'd think that as of right now, neither Murray nor Jarry would be available, outside of being insane overpayments.

Honestly, of all the places to look for tweaking, I'd say the goalie situation is as untouchable as the top 6 center situation.

Because this board can’t help itself :laugh:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens have won 4 in a row, but the last 3 wins have come against the worst team in the league and a team on a 10 game losing streak.

We will get a better idea how the pens are playing after this week when they play NYR Isles and Leafs.

Jarry has looked good, but teams don't have a book on him yet.

It took teams a while to realize Murray's glove wasn't great.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Still can't believe how lucky we are to watch Kessel with Crosby and Malkin.

I used to watch Kessel with the Leafs and wonder why he was so under appreciated... I'd sometimes let myself dream a little what he would be like with Crosby or Malkin... then get a little angry at Shero for not making the obvious choice...

I'd snap back to reality though when I realized the Leafs would never trade a talent like that, and if they did, there was no way in hell the Pens had the assets or cap space for him.

You always imagine this great player or that great player on your favorite team, and in the rare cases it comes to pass, it usually doesn't work out quite the way you hope (like Lindros on the Leafs for my wife).

It's just so surreal that Kessel is a Pen and doing everything I imagined he could do for this team...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Pens have won 4 in a row, but the last 3 wins have come against the worst team in the league and a team on a 10 game losing streak.

We will get a better idea how the pens are playing after this week when they play NYR Isles and Leafs.

But..I mean..like..they were still wins, right?

They could have been losses. But. They..were..wins..maaaaan.

Spoiler alert: glove side on any goalie is a good choice for a shot. Although the hand is fast, it doesn't cover as much as a blocker and stick to start with.

And people were targeting high glove on Murray by the playoffs..after what, 15 games? Maybe Jarry will fall apart in ten more, though...

Be positive when the team gives us something positive....we'll have a chance to complain soon enough, I'm sure.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
So when Houston or Quebec get a team, who do we expose in the expansion draft?

:sarcasm:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
But..I mean..like..they were still wins, right?

They could have been losses. But. They..were..wins..maaaaan.

Spoiler alert: glove side on any goalie is a good choice for a shot. Although the hand is fast, it doesn't cover as much as a blocker and stick to start with.

And people were targeting high glove on Murray by the playoffs..after what, 15 games? Maybe Jarry will fall apart in ten more, though...

Be positive when the team gives us something positive....we'll have a chance to complain soon enough, I'm sure.

I think you took my post the wrong way, it wasn't a negative post, i wasn't complaining about anything.

Just pointing out the pens completion hasn't been very good.

And we need some sample size on Jarry to see how hes going to be in the NHL.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I get what you're saying, and it's good to have as a reminder.

Any goalie's going to fall down to earth, and any goalie is beatable. But that's also why I'm advocating on evaluating Jarry before making any decisions about who is the franchise goalie going forward. Keep him around, he's cheap, it's a good time to figure out what you have, and it looks like he's ready to make a name for himself in the NHL.

Even a bad NHL team is better than a good AHL team, you know? Might as well evaluate him here now while we need 'im. :dunno:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I get what you're saying, and it's good to have as a reminder.

Any goalie's going to fall down to earth, and any goalie is beatable. But that's also why I'm advocating on evaluating Jarry before making any decisions about who is the franchise goalie going forward. Keep him around, he's cheap, it's a good time to figure out what you have, and it looks like he's ready to make a name for himself in the NHL.

Even a bad NHL team is better than a good AHL team, you know? Might as well evaluate him here now while we need 'im. :dunno:

And I don't always think some players NEED the AHL games. Some players thrive being in the NHL and getting that experience. Jarry seems to be in that category. Players who are ready can get bored or less motivated playing in a lesser league. We can see it with Jarry that he's ultra motivated to show what he has. His NHL stats are going to be better than his AHL if he keeps this up.

If he's going to play like this, he's the backup for the entire year. It won't mess with his progression. It will actually help it. Every practice he gets Geno, Kessel, and Sid firing pucks at him. That's great stuff.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yea it would be huge if Jarry can be the backup. It’s one thing less Gramps will have to worry about tinkering with this season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would be extremely nice for Hagelin to start turning it around and for Sheahan to continue playing how well he has played. I think if your 4th line is Hagelin-Sheahan-Rowney, you're well set going into the playoffs. And even if it isn't and either Hagelin or Sheahan are in the top-9, I think just having one of those guys on the 4th line is a big help for that line.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It would be extremely nice for Hagelin to start turning it around and for Sheahan to continue playing how well he has played. I think if your 4th line is Hagelin-Sheahan-Rowney, you're well set going into the playoffs. And even if it isn't and either Hagelin or Sheahan are in the top-9, I think just having one of those guys on the 4th line is a big help for that line.

6-7m on your 4th line isn't ideal... so we will need to fix that down the road. But sure... it would be a decent 4th line. At least one you can play night in/night out more than 3-5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->