Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Flyers 2 - Sid Goes Old School on the Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This may be sacrilegious but if Rust is out, I'd like to see Horny playing with Brassard and Kessel moved up with Geno. I think he's the type of the player who Brassard could play with and might be a better fit than Phil...that's still three solid offensive lines and it also might allow us to play someone who doesn't have jam, like Sheary, on LW there without worry...

Kids
HGK
X-Brass-Horny

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s coming into a completely polar opposite system. It takes time to get the passivity out of your game and play a more up tempo game.

It took MD quite awhile to adjust to Ott system.

For about the 100th time this season, patience people.

Remember when Hossa came in and "only" scored 10 points (only 3 goals) in 12 games after being acquired, but then proceeded to play outstanding in the playoffs?

I imagine the same folks questioning Brassard were having a fit over Hossa when he first arrived.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one still waiting for Brassard to impress? He was pretty invisible/bad last night and was completely responsible for a GA with (not just 1), but 2 bad plays on it. I don't see why he cost us so much for his .5pt/game pace. It's not like he's playing with plugs either. I'm still seeing Cole's loss out there, and nothing much from Derrick to justify it.

Pens played much better team D in the 3rd to completely frustrate PHI. Jarry still not controlling the puck as well as he should (lead to 2nd GA). He made some big saves, and got lucky a couple of times. Murray needs to come back soon and split 50/50 to get back into form. 4th line was pretty brutal for most of the game. Malkin's line was dominant again. Sid had a little bit of hustle and "I care" back to his game. Still not shooting enough and playing too much of a perimeter game. Sheary had a great game all around too, and he needed it. It shows that he CAN still use his skill to win you a game from time to time. Big Rig's headbutt was my favorite, but will prob cost him a game.

I was at the game and my god were the fans *********. Soooooo angry. Any time they'd start to think about the hockey score, they start their stupid E..A..G..L chant. So insecure.

Brassard's value at the moment is the matchup issues he creates for other teams. His scoring will come. Bonino didn't do much in the regular season either.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
there's a huge difference between a team playing badly and a team sucking. A lot of people in the GDT clearly don't see that. A few different people were saying how we just aren't built for playoffs and how we're going to be a 1st round exit. Like we've never played a handful of bad games in a row before. And we're good enough that we still win some of these bad games :laugh:

No, the bigger problem with them not being built for the playoffs.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin, Hornqvist, Guentzel, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Sheary, Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Ruhwedel, and Murray have all won at least a cup with this team. It’s most of the f***ing team. They upgraded Bonino with a playoff beast, ZAR is probably better than the misused anchor Kunitz became, Sheahan is a 3C on L4 and who knows what Oleksiak will do in the playoffs. They’re not built for the playoffs, though.

Yeah, Rowney is wet garbage and Kuhnhackl isn’t whatever Sullivan thinks he is, but they don’t have to play. As stupid as the Cole mess was he’s not a deathblow but Daley is a loss. The D are weaker (who knows by how much, tbh) but the forwards are better. Come the f*** on.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Remember when Hossa came in and "only" scored 10 points (only 3 goals) in 12 games after being acquired, but then proceeded to play outstanding in the playoffs?

I imagine the same folks questioning Brassard were having a fit over Hossa when he first arrived.

Hossa was also hurt at the time. Then Sid got hurt for a few games.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
A resurgence for the Kids line would be huge for this team going forward. Sheary is an anchor when he's not producing, but if he's going to play like he did tonight that makes the whole lineup better.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins fan here in peace Was looking up old highlites of dirty plays league never dealt with and saw Perry hit a few times on Letang.Do you think it was not dealt with because him and Parros are friends?Blindside hit to head for sure that was.Just curious of your fans opinions on Parros

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The D are weaker (who knows by how much, tbh) but the forwards are better. Come the **** on.

On paper, a defence with fit and firing Letang/Schultz/Maatta is stronger than anything we're put out in the last two years. There's some big form questions and I think we're short a physical option, but any gap of quality is small.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
On paper, a defence with fit and firing Letang/Schultz/Maatta is stronger than anything we're put out in the last two years. There's some big form questions and I think we're short a physical option, but any gap of quality is small.

Yeah, I was a bit iffy on that one. I think it’s more unknown than anything and one injury could get Hunwick in. If they’re healthy and everyone is on form they’re there. They really need Oleksiak to keep it together.

Reactions: Peat

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I see several reference to Manning and something he did at the end of the game. Can someone enlighten me or post video?
Just a late hit on Guentzel. Basically him and Gudas tried to start shit after the game ended. Much ado about nothing, nobody dropped the gloves or anything.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
what did manning do at the end of the game? i missed it and can't find video anywhere

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Remember when he and Crosby looked like ass together until the second round?

Smuckers Jam remembers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bruins fan here in peace Was looking up old highlites of dirty plays league never dealt with and saw Perry hit a few times on Letang.Do you think it was not dealt with because him and Parros are friends?Blindside hit to head for sure that was.Just curious of your fans opinions on Parros

I think that it has more to do with Letang’s reputation with selling hits the Parros / Perry.

Also, the carousel of NHL suspensions which even the “league beloved Penguins” are part of.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If Rust and Simon are out and we have only one more callup for the season, what happens next?

Rowney has to go back in, but we are then still one short. Is it worth it to play Sprong on the 4th? Bring him up and put him at LW with Brass and Kessel?

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
XXX Brassard Kessel
XXX Sheahan XXX

Kuhnhackl, Rowney, WBS callup. Go fish.

This might work:

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Hagelin Malkin Kessel
Sprong Brassard Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl Sheahan Rowney

I'd almost rather just do this:

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
Sheahan Brassard Kessel

Use Kuhnhackl for PK only, sprinkle Sprong into the lineup for Sheary or Hornqvist, and play Hunwick at a 7th D

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If Rust and Simon are out and we have only one more callup for the season, what happens next?

Rowney has to go back in, but we are then still one short. Is it worth it to play Sprong on the 4th? Bring him up and put him at LW with Brass and Kessel?

I don't think we'll see Sprong (or any F) up.

They have to save the last call up if there is any injury on D. Exactly why trading Cole without any defensive body coming back just really worried me

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
XXX Brassard Kessel
XXX Sheahan XXX

Kuhnhackl, Rowney, WBS callup. Go fish.

This might work:

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Hagelin Malkin Kessel
Sprong Brassard Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl Sheahan Rowney

I'd almost rather just do this:

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
Sheahan Brassard Kessel

Use Kuhnhackl for PK only, sprinkle Sprong into the lineup for Sheary or Hornqvist, and play Hunwick at a 7th D
they will not use the last callup on an AHL forward
They will dress 7 d-man and 11 forwards, if its short term injury for either Simon or Rust
you'll have three lines:
Jake sid sheary
HGH
Shehan Brass Kessel
and multiple iterations of 2 minutes for Rownwy and Kuhn, maybe two three shifts with sheahan, maybe they will send Kuhn for shift or two with Brass and Phil either way we dont have a one person on that 3rd and 4th line that can retrieve pucks, so that will suck

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He’s coming into a completely polar opposite system. It takes time to get the passivity out of your game and play a more up tempo game.

It took MD quite awhile to adjust to Ott system.

For about the 100th time this season, patience people.
Exactly. It isn't just knowing what you have to do in certain situations, it's reading and reacting without hesitating or second guessing. Fighting those Ott tendencies. Not to mention learning to read new teammates. He just needs time.

I wonder if there's a difference in the endurance required between Ott and Pit or if it's negligible at the NHL level. I noticed Brass taking shorter shifts in his first few games and it made me wonder. Anyone have any insights or opinions?

ETA: I just took a look at his avg shifts with the Pens and he doesn't seem to be far off of his average. Maybe just adjusting to the new circumstances and not wanting to get caught.

Last edited:

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

I think the best way to describe it DOPS doesn't know its head from its ass, the penalties on the hits to the head are so inconsistent then no one can make sense of it.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
what did manning do at the end of the game? i missed it and can't find video anywhere
I think Manning got bumped or judged by Jake right at the final horn and so he decked him on his can. Oleksiak came over to have some words for Manning and the two were trying their dangdest to get at each other while the refs were trying to keep them seperated. The game was over so literally every player from each team was on the ice and it looked a little chaotic for a time.

Gudas and Hagelin had an exchange as well.

Just typical Flyers.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

There is an adjustment to be made no matter how talented the player is
I have no doubt that Brassard will produce when the post season rolls on to our 3rd consecutive SC

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This may be sacrilegious but if Rust is out, I'd like to see Horny playing with Brassard and Kessel moved up with Geno. I think he's the type of the player who Brassard could play with and might be a better fit than Phil...that's still three solid offensive lines and it also might allow us to play someone who doesn't have jam, like Sheary, on LW there without worry...

Kids
HGK
X-Brass-Horny

Eh... I completely agree, FWIW. I'm completely sold on the fact that Malkin is perhaps playing the consistently best hockey of his entire career. I'm completely sold on he and Hagelin really having something good going. I'm completely sold on Malkin and Phil having some great natural chemistry -- they always seem to make something happen out there together.

I'm far less sold on Hornqvist and Malkin suddenly "getting it" together. I think Malkin could have been playing with Hagelin and whoever the last two+ months and he'd look much the same. I'd be more than fine moving Phil back up to his RW. I love the idea of Brassard and Kessel forming an HBK 2.0... but maybe "settling" for Hornqvist would be just as effective.

Reactions: Freedom

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Eh... I completely agree, FWIW. I'm completely sold on the fact that Malkin is perhaps playing the consistently best hockey of his entire career. I'm completely sold on he and Hagelin really having something good going. I'm completely sold on Malkin and Phil having some great natural chemistry -- they always seem to make something happen out there together.

I'm far less sold on Hornqvist and Malkin suddenly "getting it" together. I think Malkin could have been playing with Hagelin and whoever the last two+ months and he'd look much the same. I'd be more than fine moving Phil back up to his RW. I love the idea of Brassard and Kessel forming an HBK 2.0... but maybe "settling" for Hornqvist would be just as effective.

Yeah, I'm not saying Brass and Phil can't or won't be great together. I think Brass right now is struggling more or less to play the Pens higher octane offensive game. Horny as well has some some issues getting back up to speed since his injury. Playing with each other might help both....Brass is probably more used to playing with someone like Horny than like Phil

I actually think Rust could be someone who would play well next to Brass-Phil but if he's not available , it might make sense to move Horny down....

Wish we could get an update on Rust already....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad