Prospect Info: Penguins #4 prospect

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
We should make these prospect polls formulaic. Half the score for "potential" and half the score for "likely to play in the NHL".

So a guy like Archibald might score 2 out of 5 in potential, plus another 4 out of 5 in chances of being an NHL regular, for a combined score of 6. A guy like Simon might score 3 out of 5 in potential, but only 2 out of 5 in likelihood of being a regular, for a combined score of 5 out of 10.

I mean, who doesn't love doing math during the summer holidays? :D

We could go with the old Hockey's Future system of number potential followed by letter grade that indicates chance of achieving that potential... :)

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I was thinking about picking someone like Blueger, but in the end I opted for "potential upside" and went with Gustavsson over Blueger for that reason.

Side note: the prospect pool is really, really thin on blue chippers. I guess that's what happens when you win all the time.

We have also had many prospects added to the team in the past couple seasons such as Murray, Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, and Archibald. I would consider Murray and Guentzel as blue chippers. In fact I don't think you could get much better than how they came into the NHL. Murray with 2 Cups and 6-0 in playoff series and Guentzel as the playoffs goal leader and had 33 points in his 40 regular season games. Also Rust and Sheary have put up some very productive numbers in their first 2 seasons. Sprong also could be a blue chip prospect.

The Pens actually have done really good in adding youth to this team compared to most teams. In fact very few teams have done better even counting bottom dwellers that get top picks each year. 4 wingers for the top 3 lines and a number one goalie that is a legit top 5 in the NHL. Murray alone is the type of prospect you can build a franchise around. This sure beats the 90's when it seemed like we had no prospects at all for that decade once we became Cup champs.

TrudeauG

Jul 2, 2017
I can't vote yet, and I know zero about either player. (Gus or Blueger).

Please tell me why Gus is better than Blueger.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't vote yet, and I know zero about either player. (Gus or Blueger).

Please tell me why Gus is better than Blueger.

The argument for Gus is he could be Murray good. The scouting reports makes him a really obvious comparable actually - a goaltender who excels at keeping himself square to the puck and is pretty much unflappable.

The argument against him is he's so early in his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad