Prospect Info: Penguins #4 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
ZAR enters the polls as #3. I'm wondering when we'll see our first close race, it's been very decisive thus far. Added Adam Johnson.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)
#3 Zach Aston-Reese (80.19%) (new)

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Definitely Blueger.

I'm not down on him, but I was hoping for more out of Gustavsson last season.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Went with Bleuger cuz of the strides he made last year. Gus would be my #5.
Add Olund.

Also believe Bengts had a legit shot at being top 4-5 if he had a fully healthy year last year.
His situation really blows right now and just hope at some point this next season he's back to normal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Our top 4 is rather easy in my opinion:

Sprong
ZAR
Jarry
Gus

After that, it's a discussion to have based on several factors such as proven abilities, ceiling, likelihood to reach it, positioning, etc. I mean, it's difficult to ask who the better prospect is - Simon or Lauzon? Tough call, different players at different phases.

DiPauli or Bjorkqvist? Countless factors to consider debating both of them.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
? They just drafted him.

Ok. Why are you so high on him then? Because he was a second round pick? I think Blueger did a lot more in terms of development, showed more potential in his game, and can make an impact in the NHL a lot sooner. I really don't know much about the team Gustavsson was on, but was hoping to see him get more wins than he did last year. Especially when he played a lot more games. His other stats weren't too great either.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ok. Why are you so high on him then? Because he was a second round pick? I think Blueger did a lot more in terms of development, showed more potential in his game, and can make an impact in the NHL a lot sooner. I really don't know much about the team Gustavsson was on, but was hoping to see him get more wins than he did last year. Especially when he played a lot more games. His other stats weren't too great either.

I believe people are high on him because he was the top ranked European goalie in the draft. He put together another decent season in Sweden too. We don't get to see him at all so we have to rely on scouts.

Steel Winning

Philling The Net
Aug 4, 2015
I like Angello, but he wasn't in our top ten last year and he didn't show much progress this year from what I've heard.

From seeing him live ~10 times this season, he doesn't stand out that much. Clearly one of the better players at Cornell, but not noticeably better than the other top 4-5 guys there.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I like Angello, but he wasn't in our top ten last year and he didn't show much progress this year from what I've heard.

Have you seen this boards top-10 lists? There's always omissions, high risers or fallers. You don't see a lot of eye popping growth in college hockey from frosh to sophomore year. It's typically the latter years you see larger numbers. Angello has been a consistent producer in a recently much tougher ECAC division.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was thinking about picking someone like Blueger, but in the end I opted for "potential upside" and went with Gustavsson over Blueger for that reason.

Side note: the prospect pool is really, really thin on blue chippers. I guess that's what happens when you win all the time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was thinking about picking someone like Blueger, but in the end I opted for "potential upside" and went with Gustavsson over Blueger for that reason.

Side note: the prospect pool is really, really thin on blue chippers. I guess that's what happens when you win all the time.

That will happen when you get them, they move up to the big club rather quickly.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Lulea were 9th and lost over half their games. The regular goaltender posted a save percentage of .916 (although he did also post GAA of 2.30). Personally I'm encouraged by the fact his save percentage crept up despite GAA and loss percentage going up, that suggests a guy who keeps playing even when getting shelled. Gustavsson's CL/play-off stats stunk, but not as badly as the regular goaltender's stats did.

He took a big stride forwards in U20 stats - .893 RS, .87 PO last season to .928 RS, .967 PO - and his percentage only dipped a little going from U18 international to U20 (.92 to .914). His best games last year came in the U20 play-offs and U20 JWC.

I dunno. It looks an okay stride forwards to me. Unless someone wants to tell me why I'm looking at fools' gold, I'll be voting him in at 4th, because he has a huge ceiling and while other guys might be closer, they're not gonna make much noise.

Also, add Almari. Took a big stride forwards.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I just see a higher ceiling at his position than I do Blueger. People are going to have different definitions of best prospect. Gustavsson being younger than Blueger isn't exactly his fault, so I'm not accounting for that. Regardless I have no idea what you were wanting to see from him this early. FWIW Blueger was considered heavily :dunno:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Going off the board with the shiny new toy, Adam Johnson.

Things are kind of a crapshoot after ZAR, and I'm encouraged by his scouting report, Recchi singling him out at camp, and Scott Bell's comments about how he would've been the #1 college FA with 31 teams after him next summer. Anybody who picked out a Guentzel in the rough gets my benefit of the doubt when it comes to smaller (the reason he wasn't drafted), skilled late-bloomers.

Full disclosure, this is sight unseen.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I would have voted Archibald here if he was an option - so add him, please?

I went with Simon mostly on "closest to NHL", since he's played in NHL games. I'm a bit gunshy on voting for goalies that haven't played much at higher levels yet - just too much variance as to how they can turn out.

That said, my track record on these polls is pretty atrocious, so what do I know? :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Going off the board with the shiny new toy, Adam Johnson.

Things are kind of a crapshoot after ZAR, and I'm encouraged by his scouting report, Recchi singling him out at camp, and Scott Bell's comments about how he would've been the #1 college FA with 31 teams after him next summer. Anybody who picked out a Guentzel in the rough gets my benefit of the doubt when it comes to smaller (the reason he wasn't drafted), skilled late-bloomers.

Full disclosure, this is sight unseen.

I have him next up. It's really only because he just got signed. Though I think some are worthy even after Gus to sway me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would have voted Archibald here if he was an option - so add him, please?

I went with Simon mostly on "closest to NHL", since he's played in NHL games. I'm a bit gunshy on voting for goalies that haven't played much at higher levels yet - just too much variance as to how they can turn out.

That said, my track record on these polls is pretty atrocious, so what do I know? :laugh:

Pretty sure the bolded applies to 99% of the folks voting in these polls (myself included). :sarcasm:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Outside of Sprong, i agree but theres real decent complimentary potential like how Rust broke through. I see alot of those possible types breaking through from whats there. From the ZAR's, Johnson's, Tiffels's, Olund's, Bjorkvist's to the DiPauli's and Joseph's.

Theres alot of wheels mixed with smarts and some skill in there and alot of em aren't afraid to get in there and battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad