Prospect Info: Penguins #20 prospect

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
That's it for 2017. Thank you for voting and see you next year. Or at least in 5 years so we can all laugh at how wrong we were again. :D
In 5 years we will be laughed that Nikita Pavlychev weren't in the top-20

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is a little strange given our success with undersized college players, I guess he saw himself as being behind Sprong and ZAR plus all the young wingers already on our roster.

I guess. But there still a ton of potential openings over the next couple years, particularly with our injury history.

Ah well.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Is a little strange given our success with undersized college players, I guess he saw himself as being behind Sprong and ZAR plus all the young wingers already on our roster.

He's a center though. Which we're kinda in need of, oh well, you win some and lose some I guess. I'm a lot happier to have ZAR in our pipeline anyway.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm still scratching my head as to why he wouldn't just sign here.

It is kinda weird cuz of how slim we are with C prospects.
But College kids can be weird at times and do what they want even if it's not in their best interest. :laugh:
Also helps ease his lose that we picked up Johnson who can C pretty well in my viewings.

I wouldn't sleep on him.
Kid was very good for Penn State last season in terms of being a defensive C and very trusted by the coaching staff. On a very good team, mind you, as well.

ETA: On Taylor, i didn't like what i seen in his WBS games last year but that was like 1 or 2 games. Really need to see a full season to get a good gauge.

Prow had some solid development last season. Will be interesting if he can build on that.
Zink may be a guy to watch if he makes some strides next year. Only on an AHL deal for now.

And a ty to Burgs to close this one out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That really wouldn't surprise me - a 6'7" centre who can skate and think has a decent chance to make something of himself. But who do you leave off? We're pretty deep in terms of prospects who've got a chance to make it somehow in some way and Pavlychev suffers for a being lot further behind on the development curve.

I was gonna say if he builds next season he'll rocket up but on second thoughts, I'm really not sure. I think at most we lose 6-7 guys from that list. Throw in the new draft, throw in the possibility of our dman stockpile putting in good seasons and rising up the list... its gonna be tough to crack next year. I imagine he'd be on it, but he'd have to do really well to be higher than 15.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Every time Nikita Pavlychev talks about what he needs to do, he mentions improve his skating. I've heard people say that he's a good skater for his size, but never like he's even close to NHL. Nikita Pavlychev still needs to significantly improve his skating and creating, and honestly those can be hard.

Maybe he proves me wrong, but he's gonna have to make some big strides in production

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Every time Nikita Pavlychev talks about what he needs to do, he mentions improve his skating. I've heard people say that he's a good skater for his size, but never like he's even close to NHL. Nikita Pavlychev still needs to significantly improve his skating and creating, and honestly those can be hard.

Maybe he proves me wrong, but he's gonna have to make some big strides in production

If he can skate well enough and check well enough then his size will allow him a few cracks at making a 4th line down the road.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just for comparison's sake, this was The Hockey News' Top 10 for the Penguins:

1-Daniel Sprong
2-Derrick Pouliot (wtf)
3-Tristan Jarry
4-Filip Gustavsson
5-Zachary Lauzon
6-Kasper Bjorkqvist
7-Dominik Simon
8-Connor Hall
9-Clayton Phillips
10-Jeff Taylor

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

1-Daniel Sprong
2-Derrick Pouliot (wtf)
3-Tristan Jarry
4-Filip Gustavsson
5-Zachary Lauzon
6-Kasper Bjorkqvist
7-Dominik Simon
8-Connor Hall
9-Clayton Phillips
10-Jeff Taylor

There is a distinct lack of ZAR in this list.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

1-Daniel Sprong
2-Derrick Pouliot (wtf)
3-Tristan Jarry
4-Filip Gustavsson
5-Zachary Lauzon
6-Kasper Bjorkqvist
7-Dominik Simon
8-Connor Hall
9-Clayton Phillips
10-Jeff Taylor

What's the criteria to be considered a prospect? No ZAR? What about our godsend 28 year old Rowney? Dea? You know your prospect cupboard is empty when DP is your second highest prospect.

:(

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Jan Drozg takes 19th place and thus becomes our first ever Slovenian in the poll. Added Nailers goalie Sean Maguire due to sudden popular demand. And also Dane Birks, of the reigning WCHA champions, so this year will have featured every single prospect we have. Well, technically, we hold Blaine Byron's rights for another day, but...

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)
#3 Zach Aston-Reese (80.19%) (new)
#4 Filip Gustavsson (58.49%) (+2)
#5 Teddy Blueger (42.00%) (+5)
#6 Zachary Lauzon (27.96% in #6 poll, 56.58% in runoff) (new)
#7 Josh Archibald (26.88% in #6 poll, 43.42% in runoff) (+6)
#8 Dominik Simon (50.59%) (-4)
#9 Adam Johnson (28.95%) (new)
#10 Frederik Tiffels (35.21%) (+5)
#11 Linus Ölund (21.54%) (new)
#12 Niclas Almari (22.58% in #12 poll, 55.81% in runoff) (new)
#13 Kasper Björkqvist (24.19% in #12 poll, 44.19% in runoff) (-5)
#14 Sam Lafferty (35.00%) (new)
#15 Lukas Bengtsson (25.49%) (-10)
#16 Clayton Phillips (32.73%) (new)
#17 Anthony Angello (32.61%) (-5)
#18 Thomas di Pauli (33.33%) (-1)
#19 Jan Drozg (34.09%) (new)

about 4 months later, what's the current top 10 looking like? anyone making a big jump?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
about 4 months later, what's the current top 10 looking like? anyone making a big jump?

Hmm...

My top 10 currently:

Jarry
Sprong
Simon
ZAR
DiPauli
Bleuger
Bellerive
Phillips
Militec
Gustavsson/Lauzon/Bengtsson