Prospect Info: Penguins #2 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
So Sprong wins with an even bigger lead than last year, and defends his 1st place.

Concerning eligibility, I'll go with the majority so yes to Archibald, no to Pouliot. Added Zachary Lauzon.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to say it's Jarry, but i'm tempted to pick another player here because for the Pens prospects, I feel his worth to the organization really isn't all that big. He will either be traded or be a backup and I don't see either of those suiting the Pens. So it's tough to say our #2 prospect will not have much of any impact on the Pens (or so it seems).

Dawkins

Jan 20, 2013
UK
Jarry for me. Think he has starter potential. Unlikely to be with the pens. Could be a nice trade chip eventually.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's hard to rate Jarry because he likely doesn't have a spot here long term as a starter. He's probably the 2nd best prospect in the organization, but he'll never be anything more than a backup here most likely (Murray's a franchise goalie, after all).

I honestly don't even know if Jarry is going to be here in a year, I could see him being the trade chip for a 3C. Especially with DeSmith under NHL contract now, I could see the Penguins being okay with a DeSmith-Maguire AHL tandem with hoping one of them ends up a NHL backup.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Jarry, though I tend to agree with Cole that his value to the org might not be as high simply due to being behind Murray. But he still gets my vote.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I went with Jarry. Having already reached the NHL and performed at a very solid level in the AHL put him over the top, for me at least.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
In a vacuum it would be Jarry so I went with him. I do agree that his future here is limited because of Murray.

ZAR makes a compelling #2 If thats the criteria (prospect worth to the Pens long term)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
These prospects threads always bring back nightmares when people would discuss big expectations for guys like Morrow, Harrington, Tangradi, Pouliot, Samuelson, Bennett, Blueger, Sundqvist, etc.

Luckily Sheary, Gunetzel, Murray have all developed amazingly. Our cupboard was so bare for years.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's one of the 2 goalies for me. It comes back to the debate we have every year - I think Gustavsson is a superior goaltending prospect to Jarry...but Jarry is almost NHL ready.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
ZAR is the easy choice for me. Lit up the NCAA last year and made a solid impact in WBS after that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Went with ZAR. From all accounts, he sounds to be projected as another Kunitz-type and with all the speed and skill we have (Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong) we could use some more physicality and puck-hounds, especially if they have a scoring touch. I think we need that much more than what Jarry brings, even if Jarry is a great goalie prospect.

Jarry's probably a bit closer to NHL-ready though. But from what I hear about Blueger, he's probably the most NHL-ready of all, but I wouldn't put him up there with Sprong, ZAR or Jarry.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
ZAR because of the cool name and playing style that could be useful in the NHL lineup as soon as later this season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I watched ZAR up close last week in Cranberry and I can tell you the kid has a presence.

I'm going to bet he will be a force very soon with the big club.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Jarry is a top 5 goalie prospect. Him being less valuable to us does not change that.

Add Ölund.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
ZAR. Goalies are a crap shoot and people are expecting Jarry to go the Murray route even though Murray is a total anomaly. AHL success does often does not preclude to NHL success for a goalie. I see Gustavsson starting to be hugely overrated as well. It's waaaaay too early to tell.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Went with ZAR. From all accounts, he sounds to be projected as another Kunitz-type and with all the speed and skill we have (Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong) we could use some more physicality and puck-hounds, especially if they have a scoring touch. I think we need that much more than what Jarry brings, even if Jarry is a great goalie prospect.

Jarry's probably a bit closer to NHL-ready though. But from what I hear about Blueger, he's probably the most NHL-ready of all, but I wouldn't put him up there with Sprong, ZAR or Jarry.
I watched ZAR up close last week in Cranberry and I can tell you the kid has a presence.

I'm going to bet he will be a force very soon with the big club.

how is ZAR in front of the net? It would be huge to have a guy like him establishing himself this year with Horny's contract running out. Even if it just takes away some leverage from Horny in negotiations, I think that could be big.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I want to say it's Jarry, but i'm tempted to pick another player here because for the Pens prospects, I feel his worth to the organization really isn't all that big. He will either be traded or be a backup and I don't see either of those suiting the Pens. So it's tough to say our #2 prospect will not have much of any impact on the Pens (or so it seems).

I was thinking the same thing but still went Jarry because he still should bring us a nice return if traded.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
ZAR. Goalies are a crap shoot and people are expecting Jarry to go the Murray route even though Murray is a total anomaly. AHL success does often does not preclude to NHL success for a goalie. I see Gustavsson starting to be hugely overrated as well. It's waaaaay too early to tell.

Ditto and ditto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->