Prospect Info: Penguins #14 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Almari beats Björkqvist in the runoff so 12th and 13th place are set.

I added puck-moving defenseman Jeff Taylor, embarking on his AHL rookie season this fall after a promising college career, and Baby Pens forward J.S. Dea who placed 14th last year and made his NHL debut last season. Dea is currently a restricted free agent but since he was qualified and has no arbitration rights he's still going to be our property.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)
#3 Zach Aston-Reese (80.19%) (new)
#4 Filip Gustavsson (58.49%) (+2)
#5 Teddy Blueger (42.00%) (+5)
#6 Zachary Lauzon (27.96% in #6 poll, 56.58% in runoff) (new)
#7 Josh Archibald (26.88% in #6 poll, 43.42% in runoff) (+6)
#8 Dominik Simon (50.59%) (-4)
#9 Adam Johnson (28.95%) (new)
#10 Frederik Tiffels (35.21%) (+5)
#11 Linus Ölund (21.54%) (new)
#12 Niclas Almari (22.58% in #12 poll, 55.81% in runoff) (new)
#13 Kasper Björkqvist (24.19% in #12 poll, 44.19% in runoff) (-5)

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Haven't checked in in awhile for these, but I'm a bit surprised to see Lafferty still on the board.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Haven't checked in in awhile for these, but I'm a bit surprised to see Lafferty still on the board.

Me too, but I'm going for Bengtsson. We've run out of guys I feel surer about at which point I'd rather take the guy where I'm worrying about an illness than where I'm worrying about talent. Possibly misjudging Lafferty, another year like last year and he'll shoot up.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I could go Phillips or Lafferty in either order, but it's apparent that Phillips is seemingly very underrated among people on these boards.

IMO, Bengtsson needs to prove he can be healthy and play regularly again before he should be considered a legit prospect again. If he can be, he would be much higher on this list of course, so it seems arbitrary he's just listed somewhere in the middle. .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I went with Angello simply because at this point, with so many long shots and wildcards, there's something intriguing to me about a guy who is 6'4 and isn't devoid of skill.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I could go Phillips or Lafferty in either order, but it's apparent that Phillips is seemingly very underrated among people on these boards.

Phillips was even ranked higher than Lauzon in most draft rankings but it seems like he will go more than ten spots behind him in our prospect ranking. Absurd.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Phillips was even ranked higher than Lauzon in most draft rankings but it seems like he will go more than ten spots behind him in our prospect ranking. Absurd.

I believe the difference is that those pre-draft rankings don't take NHL readiness into account at all, but these polls allow you to. Phillips is just a 17 year old kid who won't even play NCAA for another year. He is about 4 years away from even dressing up for the Baby Pens. If he was only one week younger he would have been a 2018 pick. Hard to get excited about him when he has such a long way to go and prove himself against better competition than what he faces in the USHL.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I believe the difference is that those pre-draft rankings don't take NHL readiness into account at all, but these polls allow you to. Phillips is just a 17 year old kid who won't even play NCAA for another year. He is about 4 years away from even dressing up for the Baby Pens. If he was only one week younger he would have been a 2018 pick. Hard to get excited about him when he has such a long way to go and prove himself against better competition than what he faces in the USHL.

Well I believe that these rankings should be solely based on estimated potential. NHL readiness is simply something that makes a players estimated potential more/less exact. Just like the draft rankings do. Hence why I was quite up in arms over Archibald at #6.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well I believe that these rankings should be solely based on estimated potential. NHL readiness is simply something that makes a players estimated potential more/less exact. Just like the draft rankings do. Hence why I was quite up in arms over Archibald at #6.

One of the problems with Phillips is exposure. How many people here have even seen him play? At least with the other prospects, some folks have seen them a handful of times.

It's hard to vote for someone you know next to nothing about.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

This is usually the case with players drafted outside the second until they've proven themselves a bit more. Potential doesn't mean squat if a player never plays in the NHL. Players like Rust, Guentzel and Wilson have been completely overlooked in these polls at times while players like Marcantuoni and Zlobin were overhyped about their potential and fell flat.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Potential doesn't mean squat if a player never plays in the NHL. Players like Rust, Guentzel and Wilson have been completely overlooked in these polls at times while players like Marcantuoni and Zlobin were overhyped about their potential and fell flat.

Their initial estimated potential, sure. But it's not like a player always has the same estimated potential. If he has a bad season the estimated potential will most likely drop.

Surprised that you would mention Guentzel when he too was seen as a high potential player, and look how he turned out.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Their initial estimated potential, sure. But it's not like a player always has the same estimated potential. If he has a bad season the estimated potential will most likely drop.

Surprised that you would mention Guentzel when he too was seen as a high potential player, and look how he turned out.

There's a lot of seasons in a lot of different leagues Phillips has to play between now and whenever he makes it to the NHL, if he does. Can you or anyone else really know what sort of an impact he's going to have at the NHL level right now? Would I pick him right now over a maybe 4th liner like Josephs? Most certainly. Would I pick him over a winger with top 6 potential that just scored over 30 points in college like Lafferty? Not yet.

I'm not sure if you were around these boards when Guentzel was a prospect. But most people weren't very excited about Guentzel's potential even after he put up 30+ points his first two college seasons and 42 his junior year. Many people continued to knock him because of his size and still thought he was a long shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->