Prospect Info: Penguins #12 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Linus Ölund wins a close race to nab 11th place. Added Quebec-bound Slovenian Jan Drozg.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)
#3 Zach Aston-Reese (80.19%) (new)
#4 Filip Gustavsson (58.49%) (+2)
#5 Teddy Blueger (42.00%) (+5)
#6 Zachary Lauzon (27.96% in #6 poll, 56.58% in runoff) (new)
#7 Josh Archibald (26.88% in #6 poll, 43.42% in runoff) (+6)
#8 Dominik Simon (50.59%) (-4)
#9 Adam Johnson (28.95%) (new)
#10 Frederik Tiffels (35.21%) (+5)
#11 Linus Ölund (21.54%) (new)

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Bengtsson, again again again. I really wish we could have seen more from him last year.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Almari. All are are over a year away at least.

Bjorkvist was drafted a big worry was his inflated numbers based on his team, his struggle in the NCAA gives a bit more weight to that. Could be an "adjustment season" based on ice size, but idk.

Lafferty at 22 not turning pro sends signals hes not exactly on path to the NHL, and really one had the one season of good production anyways.

I'd take the guy who's playing well at the Liiga, coming off a strong season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Went with Bjorkqvist just because of how high the scouts were on him.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Oh well. It's probably a good sign for his career that hardly anyone on this forum seems to like Lafferty.

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
Played high school hockey against Lafferty. Everything I've heard was that it was a pure political pick and they didn't see him ever actually panning out. He's obviously following that path right now. He shouldn't be mentioned above almari or anyone else for that matter, for he is a wasted pick.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Played high school hockey against Lafferty. Everything I've heard was that it was a pure political pick and they didn't see him ever actually panning out. He's obviously following that path right now. He shouldn't be mentioned above almari or anyone else for that matter, for he is a wasted pick.

how so? he put up 35 points in 31 games, while leading his team in points. you can argue the quality of competition, but i don't see how that production leads to the 'wasted pick' claim.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
At the development camp both Recchi and Guerin said Lafferty was one of the most impressive prospects in camp. He was praised as much as ZAR, Sprong and Johnson. I dont see why he's not considered as one of the best prospects here. Easily top 5 imo.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
how so? he put up 35 points in 31 games, while leading his team in points. you can argue the quality of competition, but i don't see how that production leads to the 'wasted pick' claim.

I'm guessing because there's no lunatic scouts saying he's going to be the next Rick Nash with a Phil Kessel wrist shot. If there was everyone would probably go nuts about him. People here would probably still vote for Jaden Lindo thinking he's still going to be the next Wayne Simmonds because that's who someone compared him to when he was drafted. It was easy to feel like Lafferty was a wasted pick the last two years with his **** poor production and assume it was because the Pens wanted to draft someone local. But he was a ranked North American player at the draft, and was always determined to be a long term project and decided to start college a year early instead of playing in the USHL. With Lafferty's production last season along with his non existent power play time, his abilities to kill penalties, his work ethic and training in the summer with other NHL players at Evo Ultrafit... should easily puts him on the path to having a professional career. It's completely foolish to think otherwise.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sexton said he will eventually play in the NHL. He also played in the Liiga as a 19 year old.

Then blew up the U20 play-offs. Done everything right, then yeah, Sexton's pumped him more than anyone else in the Pens organisation has pumped a prospect this year. Err, that sounds wrong, but you know what I mean.

Also, I'm flabberghasted that being near PPG on an awful College team with no PP time can be said to be on the road to being a wasted prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad