Prospect Info: Penguins #11 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Rust never sleeps but he can rest easy now that he made the top 10. Added Blaine Byron.

2015 poll results:
#1 Matt Murray (54.48%)
#2 Daniel Sprong (40.14%)
#3 Oskar Sundqvist (50.00%)
#4 Brian Dumoulin (83.33%)
#5 Tristan Jarry (36.73%)
#6 Dominik Simon (37.08%)
#7 Scott Wilson (45.59%)
#8 Conor Sheary (34.12%)
#9 Jake Guentzel (47.06%)
#10 Bryan Rust (50.00%)

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's Blueger time. He's a smart kid with some skill and a fairly complete game. Ceiling is a good #3 C IMO. More of a playmaker type, good vision and attention to detail.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
voted Archibald. Had a pretty forgetable first pro season, but still think there is a lot to like about him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
voted Archibald. Had a pretty forgetable first pro season, but still think there is a lot to like about him.

Same here. Last year, I had Archibald in my top 7 or so. Yes, he had one forgettable season, but Blueger has had 3 seasons in which his performance has been somewhere between disappointing at worst and inconsistent at best. Even last year, Blueger had a burst where he had much of his points and then went cold. Archibald's upside is top-5 among our prospects, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for one bad season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Really thought Clendening would be higher.

We just don't know a lot about him and he's been traded twice in the last year. He has to pass through waivers this year and is unlikely to make the team. He supposedly has skating and defending issues. Those aren't great qualities for a 22 year old dman.

A lot of these other guys are either younger, so their upside seems more attainable (Sprong, Jarry, Murray, Guentzel, Blueger, Simon) or are ready to contribute in the NHL now (Dumo, Sundqvist, Wilson, Rust). Clendening is sort of in the weird in between stage. This season could make or break him as a prospect.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Since being drafted, Zlobin has consistently, and without justification, been the most overrated player/prospect on these boards.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Since being drafted, Zlobin has consistently, and without justification, been the most overrated player/prospect on these boards.

The most? I doubt that. There's like 5 posters that overrate him. That hardly qualifies as most overrated prospect.

Edit: Apparently 11 currently overrate him. But still, he's not significantly below this list. It's kind of filled with a bunch of meh.

Last edited:

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
While I agree we have entered the land of the Longshot Prospect, I feel the need to point out the last prospect rated - Rust, is most likely to be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL soon, maybe even this season.

It's automatic as long as he can stay healthy IMO.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
IMO Zlobin's absolute ceiling is Michel Ouellet. A good nose for the net, decent hands in close and not totally lost in his own zone. But not fast or strong enough to provide more than some cheap secondary scoring. Ouellet worked very hard on his game to earn almost 200 NHL games, and it helped that he was Therrien's pet project (and that the Pens had no depth in those years). Zlobin is still pretty far from making any noise in the pros, and is still living off his Memorial Cup GWG. I think Hynes didn't like him very much, maybe Sullivan will find a niche for him. But there's also his shoulder injuries. He's had surgery twice on the same shoulder, and it cost him nearly a season and a half of developing time. He said this summer a third shoulder injury would really mess him up so if that were to happen I believe he'd be done as a prospect.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Blueger is probably the "right" answer here, but I went with Tiffels.

Tiffels was a freshman and put up 11 goals and 21 points in 32 games. Good for 5th on the team in points, and tied for 3rd on the team in goals. He was younger and played less games than everyone ahead of him. And he's already built pretty solidly at 6'1 206.

Add Marcantuoni.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad