Penalty Box data for Power Play Goals

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I tried to look for data about which players were in the penalty box when a PPG was scored, and couldn't find it. There used to be a feed that had it, but I think it was discontinued; it was since 2010 anyways, and I wanted to look at least twenty years back.

So, if the mountaine will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet will goe to the mountaine, as the proverb goes. I scanned the reports from 1999 to yesterday (2/11/2018) myself. Why 1999? Because it's actually a part of a bigger research that requires on-ice data for scored goals. In general, I can do it all the way back to the start of my dataset which is the 1987/88 season. Maybe I'll do it.

So after a few days of hacking and with several manual corrections the resulting data is on my website:
The page with the disclaimer.
Direct link to the JSON.

There are a few errors detected and also a few questions that arose when parsing the source data:

Errors - the following goals SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PP goals, or the offending penalty is not listed:
Game NHL IDScore after goalScorer
19990207561-0J. Langenbrunner
20080210102-1 M. Samuelsson
20080211993-3M. Schneider
20160202762-1 J. Larsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Questions:
  1. If there's a scrum that results in: 1 minor to team A, player X, 3 minors to team B, - 2 to player Y and one to player Z, is there a strict matching penalty rule? I.e. should the final tally be one double minor to Y (5v4/2+2min), or 2 minors to Y and Z both (5v3/2min)?
  2. Is it correct that "Match Penalty" used to imply a 5 minute major PP, but the major penalty it was not explicitly written in the protocol? When did it change? Was it so for 'Game Misconduct' and/or for 'Misconduct' penalties?
  3. A player gets: 1) Instigator, 2) Fighting, 3) Misconduct, 4) Game Misconduct at the same time. There is NO penalty called on the opposing team (fighting penalty with no opponent!). It looks like the resulting penalty is 5+2, but it's not the case any more, right? If so, when did it change?
Thanks! Input and corrections are most welcome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad