Peak Evgeni Malkin or Nathan MacKinnon right now?

Malkin at his peak vs MacKinnon right now. Who would you take?

• Malkin

Votes: 177 56.5%
  • MacKinnon

Votes: 110 35.1%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 26 8.3%

• Total voters

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
MacKinnon never had Crosby to share the load with, so MacKinnon.
Two sides of the coin though, no? Sid "shared" the load with him but that may also have taken opportunities away from Malkin to be fully a #1 since there's only one puck and Sid's been the golden boy for most of his career overshadowing Malkin, whereas Nate's arguably had that since Duchene and O'Reilly got traded, etc. Nate's best running mates have been Kadri, now Mittelstadt... so Nate gets all the prime offensive minutes he wants with the best wingers and Makar. Just my opinion, curious about your thoughts on what I said.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yeah, he's definitely helped Nuke, but Nuke has also shown to be a late bloomer and a great player in his own right. I would take Mackinnon's supporting cast over Malkin's in 2011-12 every day of the week.

I agree, but I'd also prefer to play against Malkin's opponents in 2011-12 than against the league today. There's just so many more guys who are difficult to play against today.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I agree, but I'd also prefer to play against Malkin's opponents in 2011-12 than against the league today. There's just so many more guys who are difficult to play against today.
I think the league was actually tougher to play against back then. There was still a fair amount of grit in the game and a lot more defensive defenseman than there are these days.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think the league was actually tougher to play against back then. There was still a fair amount of grit in the game and a lot more defensive defenseman than there are these days.

I think it was "tougher" to play, and there was much more physical play, because it was an era where lot of very good forwards battled against a lot of very good defensemen, with only a handful of elite scorers who could make even those very good defensemen look bad. Very few players in the league had elite level skating, so defenders could play tighter and more physical, without worrying about getting walked, which is why size became so important. Being 20 lbs heavier than someone who can't just walk around you is very beneficial, and the ability to do something like make an outlet pass becomes less important.

Today, defenders have to contend with some of the best skaters the NHL has ever seen, and playing tight and physical would be a stupid choice. As a result, we've seen a massive shift to a league where skating and skill matters more than just size. And if I have my choice of trying to skate around Dan Girardi with elite level skating, or skate through Sam Girard with more size, I think skating around Dan Girardi is going to be much easier and more effective.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Okay so you're discussing hypotheticals and not reality, thanks.

It's a hockey forum where we discuss which players is subjectively better and make hypothetical trades,. Which part of this is reality, exactly?

It's also reality that Nuke wasn't Nuke until after he started playing with MacKinnon, and was even worse than Neal was before showing up here. When Malkin is being propped up by claims that he turned Neal into a PPG scorer, Mack having some part in helping Nuke become Nuke seems relevant to me.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It's a hockey forum where we discuss which players is subjectively better and make hypothetical trades,. Which part of this is reality, exactly?

It's also reality that Nuke wasn't Nuke until after he started playing with MacKinnon, and was even worse than Neal was before showing up here. When Malkin is being propped up by claims that he turned Neal into a PPG scorer, Mack having some part in helping Nuke become Nuke seems relevant to me.
Your prior post was a meaningless answer to an honest question. Thank you for finally answering it, better late than never.

Neal and Nichushkin were on completely different trajectories when they left Dallas. Neal was a good young player who excelled at every level, came to Dallas and developed into a good goal scorer. Nichushkin badly needed a change of scenery to the extent that he returned to the Stars GM to apologize for not being the player he could have been.

The situations are too different to compare, and MacK's role in Nichushkin's growth as a player was trivial at best.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Your prior post was a meaningless answer to an honest question. Thank you for finally answer it, better late than never.

Neal and Nichushkin were on completely different trajectories when they left Dallas. Neal was a good young player who excelled at every level, came to Dallas and developed into a good goal scorer. Nichushkin badly needed a change of scenery to the extent that he returned to the Stars GM to apologize for not being the player he could have been.

MacK's role was trivial at best.

Your post that was allegedly an "honest question" came off as a snide comment, much like this post which is why I didn't bother giving you a meaningful answer. Maybe you should check your tone instead of blaming me for reacting to it.

And you making unsubstantiated claims like "Mack's role was trivial at best" doesn't make that true. The reality is that Nuke has played more with Mack than without him over the last two seasons, and those are Nuke's two best seasons in his career. Why does Malkin get credit for Neal's best seasons but Mack gets zero credit for Nuke's?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
mackinnon. has the highest scoring season and has the higher production season as well.

mackinnons at 123pt season and counting vs makin who topped out a 113pts. mack's at 1.71ppg while malkin topped out at 1.45 ppg

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Your post that was allegedly an "honest question" came off as a snide comment, much like this post which is why I didn't bother giving you a meaningful answer. Maybe you should check your tone instead of blaming me for reacting to it.

And you making unsubstantiated claims like "Mack's role was trivial at best" doesn't make that true. The reality is that Nuke has played more with Mack than without him over the last two seasons, and those are Nuke's two best seasons in his career. Why does Malkin get credit for Neal's best seasons but Mack gets zero credit for Nuke's?
I just don't think that MacK's responsibility for Nichushkin's improved stats is significant enough to mention because I saw Nichushkin get a lot better as a player while his stats were improving and I didn't see the same from Neal. When Neal left Pittsburgh, his stats reverted almost exactly to his Dallas days. Both were former Dallas players so I got tons of viewings, and I followed along closely with both after they left.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
In a much higher scoring era...
looks like the goals per game increased from 2.85 in 2008-09 (malkins peak season) to 3.14 so far this season. an increase of 10.2%. so making the same adjustments youd have malkin's 113 pts = 125 pts and his ppg of 1.45 = 1.52. so malkin would be ahead of mack by 2 points but mack still has another 10 games in hand and mack still has a .19ppg lead over malkin

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
looks like the goals per game increased from 2.85 in 2008-09 (malkins peak season) to 3.14 so far this season. an increase of 10.2%. so making the same adjustments youd have malkin's 113 pts = 125 pts and his ppg of 1.45 = 1.52. so malkin would be ahead of mack by 2 points but mack still has another 10 games in hand and mack still has a .19ppg lead over malkin
Malkin did that with f***ing Ruslan Fedotenko and Maxime Talbot…

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
In todays game I would want MacKinnon due to his speed.

If I had to pick the best player though, it would be a prime Malkin

Reactions: sanscosm

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Malkin's peak was in 2011-12. 2.66 goals per game vs 3.08 today (removing shootout goals).

That's a 16% increase. And we know that scoring increases don't distribute evenly. Typically, top scorers get a larger benefit from incremental scoring benefits (i.e. a 16% increase in league wide scoring probably gives top scores a ~22-25%+ bump in production).

Example: 10th place in scoring this year is producing at 1.26 points per game vs 0.99 points per game in 2011-12, a 27% increase.

Reactions: dukeofjive

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Malkin's peak was in 2011-12. 2.66 goals per game vs 3.08 today (removing shootout goals).

That's a 16% increase. And we know that scoring increases don't distribute evenly. Typically, top scorers get a larger benefit from incremental scoring benefits (i.e. a 16% increase in league wide scoring probably gives top scores a ~22-25%+ bump in production).

Example: 10th place in scoring this year is producing at 1.26 points per game vs 0.99 points per game in 2011-12, a 27% increase.
even if that were right mack still has the production edge and probably still beats the total points after adjusting for the scoring difference.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

That wasn’t Malkin’s best year, it was 11-12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad