GDT: PDF/WCSF: G1 SJ Sharks @ Vegas Golden Knights 7PM PST (I've got boxes full of Pepe edition)

Will Vegas win?

• Total voters

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Its one road loss for them, not exactly trouble. I believe the Knights are smart enough to not get overconfident, but easy to do when everything goes in and you can kill 5 on 3s like its no big deal. We'll see if they remain intense and stick to their system over the next two games. If they do then I'll breathe a little easier because a game after a blowout and then the first road game of the series are always minefields that have to be passed.

How you lose does matter. And this conversation isn't really about the Knights being overconfident, because we all know that Turk keeps them grounded so that's not going to happen.

The bright side for the Sharks is they're only down one game. But they were outmatched all over the ice. Speed and forecheck isn't going to change, and just like we discussed before in another thread I felt going in that the Sharks were not going to be able to match the Knights in speed. The difference in the teams was glaring.

So maybe the Sharks bounce back and do a better job of dealing with the forecheck. But honestly I don't think they are good enough to hang with us over 7 games and there's no reason to think Vegas will suddenly quit doing what they've done all year, which is play an intense, full 60 with four lines rollin hard.

Like I said before this series started, I like our chances. And even moreso now that they slapped the Sharks around like they did. We'll see how it goes from here.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegasKnightlife

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Shea is becoming a monster!
I was gonna give him special notice last night but I had too many distractions on different points of the internet (plus I had a lot of playoff board clean up to take care of)

As someone who has a nearly 20 year Ducks fan before Vegas came into the fold I've gotten to watch just about every game of Shea Theodore's career. It was always apparent he was going to be a wonderful puck carrier/distributor. He was great at it as soon as he came into the league. His biggest issue was his defensive awareness/instincts/reaction timing/and general sense of positioning. I thought it would be the greatest thing to hold him back.

While I felt he improved these things in Vegas he was still the occasional liability in that defensive group. I don't know if Vegas gave him an individual coaching regime with some super defense coach from Sweden or something, because in the last month his development has taken him to a place that...I can't even recognize him from a defensive standpoint. His awareness, instincts, and positioning have hit a whole new level. He's gone from not being that big of a defensive liability, to a guy who is actually making big things happen defensively. The spike is huge. I mean he's developed as much defensively in one month as it took someone like Cam Fowler 4-5 years.

I started the year thinking we took the lesser between him, Sami Vatanen, and Brandon Montour. Montour is still gonna be a stud, but I think Shea has that real #1 potential. He just needs to be a bit more of a factor in both ends with more intensity to get there. I'm bummed Anaheim lost him, but couldn't be happier that if he had to go somewhere, it would be Vegas.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
His awareness, instincts, and positioning have hit a whole new level. He's gone from not being that big of a defensive liability, to a guy who is actually making big things happen defensively. The spike is huge. I mean he's developed as much defensively in one month as it took someone like Cam Fowler 4-5 years.

Yeah and what's impressive is you can say the same about a lot of players in that locker room, that they have made enormous strides under this staff. From the goalies who held it down for much of the earlier part of the season through injuries, to the forwards and defensivemen, it's downright impressive. Makes me think we'll lose a coach off that staff to another organization too, I mean pick one.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
You missed a step. Since both teams swept their opponents, but SJS scored 13 points and Vegas only 7, SJS was going to destroy us.

Now we're going to get the "No way VGK beats SJS in Game 2 after embarrassing them in Game 1"

Who is going to say that? Stop with the nonsense of no one believes in this team. They are pretty massive favorites in Game 2, just as they were in Game 1. Plenty of people believe in them and anyone that doesn't is free to bet against them heavily and get nearly 2-1 on their money if the are right.

Feels like some will be sad to see the narrative end that they are the underdogs who can't possibly do this. No one buys it anymore, you don't win a division and then sweep a team in the first round without an ability to win. Its been a great story but thats the past, time to be focused on the now and this team's ability to make it happen now. To do that they need to have the right mindset of they haven't accomplished anything and it doesn't matter if they won it 7-0 or 1-0 in OT, its still a 1-0 series lead.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Who is going to say that? Stop with the nonsense of no one believes in this team. They are pretty massive favorites in Game 2, just as they were in Game 1. Plenty of people believe in them and anyone that doesn't is free to bet against them heavily and get nearly 2-1 on their money if the are right.

Feels like some will be sad to see the narrative end that they are the underdogs who can't possibly do this. No one buys it anymore, you don't win a division and then sweep a team in the first round without an ability to win. Its been a great story but thats the past, time to be focused on the now and this team's ability to make it happen now. To do that they need to have the right mindset of they haven't accomplished anything and it doesn't matter if they won it 7-0 or 1-0 in OT, its still a 1-0 series lead.
You must not listen to NHL Radio.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
You must not listen to NHL Radio.

Why would I listen to the Toronto is the greatest city in the world with a hockey team network? The TV guys on NHL Network have been admitting reality since the start of the playoffs, if it matters.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You can see my buddy Grant's grey hair in the still shot. The bald guy is blocking me from view. :laugh:

Time for a new GDT!
Who's up for the next GDT?

I'm doing the travelling thing today, so I'm out unless we want a re-run of the standard BB GDT, but that seems weak for a playoff game.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Who's up for the next GDT?

I'm doing the travelling thing today, so I'm out unless we want a re-run of the standard BB GDT, but that seems weak for a playoff game.
I'm creatively tapped out right now. I was hoping someone would handle the next one.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm creatively tapped out right now. I was hoping someone would handle the next one.

Do the Clerks one. Can't quit now. 7-0 last gdt.

95945-work-friday-after-thanksgiving-so-entertain-us-thread-im-not-even-supposed-here-today.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->