GDT: PDF GAME 4 - San Jose Sharks Vs. Vegas Golden Knights - 7 PM PST, NBCSN

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I stated my opinion over and over again, to the consternation of this board, that we shouldn't rebuild and that this team would be competitive, meaning chance at the cup, without it. Keep trying to rewrite history, though.

Oh absolutely, you’ve been steadfast to your position. I’m just trying to figure out where it differs from what Doug Wilson says and does.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
It differs because DW speaks in riddles and non answers in a way that'd make most CIA interrogation experts proud. LZ actually fairly bluntly says what he/she thinks.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Until a team without back-to-back top-5 draft picks wins a Stanley Cup, or even doesn’t get crushed in the SCF, I’m going to find it difficult to say that tanking wasn’t the right idea. We absolutely could have pulled it off and 2015 would have been perfect timing because McDavid was up in that year.

Had we gone full tank in 2015, we could have drafted Barzal. (Obv we could draft him anyway but in hindsight he is the best pick outside of McDavid and maybe Eichel). In 2016, if we tanked again, we could have had a shot at Tkachuk, Keller, McAvoy. Last year we probably would have been in a position to try and make minor improvement trade/signings and try to push us back to being a playoff team. We could have a young core of Hertl, Barzal, Sergachev, Tierney, LaBanc, Ryan, and whatever other players we traded our core players for.

We probably could have traded Logan Couture for Seth Jones since Jones got a struggling Ryan Johansen 1-for-1 and Couture is better than Johansen. A guy like Vlasic or Burns could probably have returned a player like Draisaitl in 2014. The other of that duo could have returned us another

It’s very realistic to say we could have a young core of the following:

Hertl-Barzal-Pavelski
X-Draisaitl-X
X-Tierney-LaBanc

Sergachev-Jones
Ryan-X

The 2016-2017 season would be a season to try to make the playoffs. A UFA signing like Boedker then wouldn’t have been a bad idea at all although he probably would have cost more. You get the team entirely out of the tank mentality and try to win. Maybe they don’t make the playoffs, but improvement is key. During this 2017-2018 season, doing exactly what DW did with Evander Kane wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.

Kane-Barzal-Pavelski
Hertl-Draisaitl-Boedker
Trade Acquisition-Tierney-LaBanc

Sergachev-Jones
Ryan-Trade/Homegrown pick

This is a fantastic core and one of these moves are very unrealistic or idealistic at all. I guess you’re assuming that our picks don’t bust, but you’re also assuming that we don’t win a single lottery. Realistically, you could be replacing Barzal with McDavid/Eichel, or Sergachev with Matthews/Laine/PLD, and potentially adding another elite core piece from any one of the Marleau/Thornton/Burns/Vlasic/Braun trades.
I'm sorry but are you really suggesting that we would have picked Barzal with a higher pick when we passed on him with a lower pick? Or even using him as a pro tanking argument when we passed on him later in the draft? It's easy to draft a great team in hindsight. This goes to proving my point perfectly. Some bad luck in the lottery and a few bad picks and your stuck being a bottom feeder for a long time.

Again I'm not anti-tanking. I'm ant-tanking when your in a mid level and somewhat fickle market, and have a veteran led playoff team with a path to future success. Whether people agree or not, it's just not what happens in sports. A GM is not going to put his job on the line, risk losing fans, TV numbers, etc. Just because they aren't the odds on favorite. If you expect DW to ever blow this team up while it's still very competitive your going to be disappointed.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
On the thought of rebuilding, assuming he either waved his 3 team clause or could be traded to one those teams, what do people think could be gotten for Burns should the sharks attempt to trade him at this point I'm his career?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
On the thought of rebuilding, assuming he either waved his 3 team clause or could be traded to one those teams, what do people think could be gotten for Burns should the sharks attempt to trade him at this point I'm his career?
A young probable core player, an A prospect, and a 1st. Standard return dialed up to premium

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

In 2015, we discussed Burns for Draisaitl or Hall from Edmonton with Oilers fans. They seemed amenable. Who knows if Burns would have accepted a trade to Edmonton, but he had that type of value around here.

For the record, Burns is the one vet I wouldn’t trade.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
A young probable core player, an A prospect, and a 1st. Standard return dialed up to premium
My only thing with it is contract length looking like an albatross as he ages. In a few years he may not be the player he is now. If I were a GM that may not be a burden I would want holding me down later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->