PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Was W7 an N version too? Otherwise it should only end up an N version cause someone installed it by mistake :P
And if so you could reinstall W10 with a non-N version. Of course that might not be worth the effort but it seems weird that you'd have an N key.

I wouldn't bother with the extra money for the extreme CPU myself. Not worth $30 in performance. Q9550 is still relatively useful. Though if you're on a DDR2 motherboard it's crippled a little. But that applies to the Q8200 too anyway.

Better double check that the board can handle it though.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Was W7 an N version too? Otherwise it should only end up an N version cause someone installed it by mistake :P
And if so you could reinstall W10 with a non-N version. Of course that might not be worth the effort but it seems weird that you'd have an N key.

I wouldn't bother with the extra money for the extreme CPU myself. Not worth $30 in performance. Q9550 is still relatively useful. Though if you're on a DDR2 motherboard it's crippled a little. But that applies to the Q8200 too anyway.

Better double check that the board can handle it though.

My mistake, it was 8 that the computer started with, not 7 - well, it DID start with 7, but not a legitimate copy, 8 was the first legitimate copy. And yeah, it was an N version - it was a key gotten from the Microsoft software exchange on Reddit, and was cheaper - I hadn't anticipated WMP on an N version to be so problematic, or I wouldn't have bothered saving the few bucks.

The computer uses a DDR3 board, and is on the X38 chipset. The board will support all the way up to the QX9770 - and the 9550's I was looking at, now that I've looked closer, aren't true 9550's - they're Xeons with new tabs cut in to make them socket 775 instead of 771. I remember people doing that back in the day - so I can say it's a legitimate thing to do, but not that it would for sure work. The real 9550's are over $100, which suddenly isn't worth it to me. I did see a QX9775 with the same thing done though, for $30... that's tempting.

Damn - just looked the QX9775 is gone... oh well, I'll keep my eye open, and see if I feel like experimenting. The extra performance isn't necessary, but it could turn the computer into a moderate gamer - no modern AAA titles or anything, but it could still do some fun things.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
For that kinda money I bet you can find some used AMD FX CPUs out there, either FM2+ or AM2/3. 4300, 860k, stuff like that. Need a board too though.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, the only reason I'd think of doing it is that my dad already has the system. Although I should check and see what my mom's computer is built on and what I could do to it :laugh: I do remember that it built it on a DDR2 based board though, so that might be going back further than I care to deal with. There's also zero chance she is talked into doing anything that requires more computing power than she already has :laugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I would imagine that a 650w quality PSU whould be ample for anyone who's not trying to rock crossfire or SLI? I'm looking at a Seasonic Focus Plus - probably the platinum rated one. There are a few others I'm considering - namely Corsair, Seasonic, and EVGA PSU's, specifically their units that come with a 10 year warranty.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I would imagine that a 650w quality PSU whould be ample for anyone who's not trying to rock crossfire or SLI? I'm looking at a Seasonic Focus Plus - probably the platinum rated one. There are a few others I'm considering - namely Corsair, Seasonic, and EVGA PSU's, specifically their units that come with a 10 year warranty.

I usually use MSI's list:
Power requirements for graphics cards 2.0 | MSI HQ User-to-User FAQ

Even by that conservative list the only two cards you *might* have an issue with on a 650W are Vega's. But most good 650W units, probably all, have a 12v rail well above 40 amps. The focus plus has 54 amps. Overclocking I'd probably want a 750 for some cushion but @ stock the 650 would surely be fine. And like I said that's just on the Vega, the 650W is good for anything up to a 1080 ti.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I usually use MSI's list:
Power requirements for graphics cards 2.0 | MSI HQ User-to-User FAQ

Even by that conservative list the only two cards you *might* have an issue with on a 650W are Vega's. But most good 650W units, probably all, have a 12v rail well above 40 amps. The focus plus has 54 amps. Overclocking I'd probably want a 750 for some cushion but @ stock the 650 would surely be fine. And like I said that's just on the Vega, the 650W is good for anything up to a 1080 ti.

Thanks for the response! I might push for a 750w, but probably not. I don't see myself likely overclocking a Ryzen system, and on the GPU end, I only ever tried overclocking my 5870 - with extremely limited success.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
While I'm thinking about video cards... has anyone done much with streaming Steam games? I'm half debating initially sticking a cheap card in my new build when I put it all together, and streaming my games from the server that has an rx 480 in it, and put a nicer card in down the line. Both computers would be wired to the same router, possibly to the same switch... but if the performance isn't that great, I might skip that idea.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
While I'm thinking about video cards... has anyone done much with streaming Steam games? I'm half debating initially sticking a cheap card in my new build when I put it all together, and streaming my games from the server that has an rx 480 in it, and put a nicer card in down the line. Both computers would be wired to the same router, possibly to the same switch... but if the performance isn't that great, I might skip that idea.

It's not horrible even on wireless, but it also it was it is...as it were.
If you're experienced at all at PC gaming you'll never feel like you aren't constricted. Ever so slight imperceptible input lag is more noticeable but not so bad as to make it unplayable. Outside of shooters anyway. I even managed to play Dirt Rally on a steam stream once and it wasn't outright horrible.

I'd highly suggest trying it first if it's going to be used a lot. Try it on a laptop hooked up to a monitor.

Something like Civilization would be totally playable via stream. Or single player RPGs.

If it were me I'd just rip the RX out of the server though ;)

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It's not horrible even on wireless, but it also it was it is...as it were.
If you're experienced at all at PC gaming you'll never feel like you aren't constricted. Ever so slight imperceptible input lag is more noticeable but not so bad as to make it unplayable. Outside of shooters anyway. I even managed to play Dirt Rally on a steam stream once and it wasn't outright horrible.

I'd highly suggest trying it first if it's going to be used a lot. Try it on a laptop hooked up to a monitor.

Something like Civilization would be totally playable via stream. Or single player RPGs.

If it were me I'd just rip the RX out of the server though ;)
That's probably the best solution... but that old console radio is not fun to take parts in and out of :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The important question is have you been using your RX 480 in the server during idle times to mine for dogecoins at a net loss due to the power consumption :popcorn:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The important question is have you been using your RX 480 in the server during idle times to mine for dogecoins at a net loss due to the power consumption :popcorn:

Haha... no. If I had someone explain to me that such and such a coin was absolutely worth the cost of electricity and the wear and tear on the system, and it was demonstrable, I would jump on it - that said, I'm totally not looking for it. On the other hand, I will admit, the thought of building a box, and running it off of someone's electricity and network - no I won't do it, but it sure is tempting to do something like that at work :naughty::laugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
So I just picked up the LG 27UD60-B. I know I'm skipping steps but it was a great deal and my friend has the 32 inch version and loves it.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So I just picked up the LG 27UD60-B. I know I'm skipping steps but it was a great deal and my friend has the 32 inch version and loves it.
Nothing wrong with skipping steps if you know where you're going, and good opportunities are presenting themselves.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I just pulled the trigger on the Seasonic Focux Plus Platinum, 650w - I almost went for the 750w Gold instead, but the Platinum has a $20 rebate on it, and I really don't see myself needing the extra 100w, so I might as well get the higher efficiency PSU for the cheaper price.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm still figuring out how I'm going to arrange my PC and the room it goes in... anyone know if the Coolermaster HAF XB EVO would do with a monitor sitting on top of it? I suspect it's not the best case for that, but if it would work, I'd maybe perch my 21.5" screen on top of it.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Any modestly priced power unit suggestions? My CX600W has been driving me crazy with the amount of fan noise that's been happening. I didn't mind dealing with it for the last 4 years when it happened for like 10 minutes after turning on a computer, but it's been getting ridiculous lately.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Any modestly priced power unit suggestions? My CX600W has been driving me crazy with the amount of fan noise that's been happening. I didn't mind dealing with it for the last 4 years when it happened for like 10 minutes after turning on a computer, but it's been getting ridiculous lately.
Canada, or the US? Sorry, I don't remember. Also, what's your "modest" budget?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Probably due to heat, most PSUs have heat sensitive fans these days that speed up on higher temps. And since you now have a 1060 (right?) that probably generates more heat than you used to have.

Are you 100% sure it's the PSU though and not the video card? Usually the video card is louder on load than any other fan.

The Seasonic 650W unit Kestrel was looking at last page is probably as good as any.

This one is the 550W version, $79
Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-550FM 550W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 mm Size, 7 yr warranty - Newegg.ca

Or if you want to potentially cut out any noise issues ever, the BitFenix Whisper is highly regarded for its lack of noise:
BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 550W PSU, BWG550M - Newegg.ca

$115 at newegg, maybe someone else has it cheaper in Canada.

You don't need a ton of wattage on your build 500w is enough. Though I like to leave myself some cushion in the event I go a little nutty on an upgrade.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Canada! Probably under $100. I'll budget that but I don't think a decent one would cost that much.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.ca

That one's roughly the same wattage as yours, and it's also fully modular, which is nice if cable management matters to you. I'd imagine you can go cheaper if it doesn't - but I've turned into a PSU snob, and like mine to be modular.

It gets a good score from JonnyGURU, who does a lot of really good PSU reviews.

Seasonic M12 II Evo Edition 850W Review

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I'm still running my 760, I've been hoping for a discount anywhere on 1060s but that hasn't come to fruition yet. I'm also pretty sure it's not the temperature that's an issue. My room is pretty darn cold most of the time, and this fan issue has been around for like 4 years. If I turn on my computer it'll make the loud 'wrrirr'-ing sound, and recently it starts up again after like an hour. This isn't during gameplay either, it's literally happening when I'm on the internet or even just have it on.

I'm not 100% sure it's the PSU or the graphics card, but when searching up my parts I get a lot more hits on issues with the CX600. If I replace both (eventually), that would probably solve the issue one way or another.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not 100% sure it's the PSU or the graphics card, but when searching up my parts I get a lot more hits on issues with the CX600. If I replace both (eventually), that would probably solve the issue one way or another.

When it starts making the noise, you can always put a couple fingers on the graphics card fan to slow it down/stop it. If the noise stops it's the video card.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
When it starts making the noise, you can always put a couple fingers on the graphics card fan to slow it down/stop it. If the noise stops it's the video card.
It's the PSU. Stopped and started up again so that's a pretty bad sign at this point methinks. Regardless, can't deal with that noise going for half hours at a time anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad