PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
It's just nuts. I don't need the laptop for portability, rather it's the footprint and weight that work really well where I want to use it. Using a desktop PC and getting a monitor in that space will take some real rearranging, and be a real hassle, but at this point, I'm starting to think I would be better off building a desktop, and getting a Ryzen 7. Thread Ripper even crossed my mind, given that I'm in the middle of transferring the X-Files from Blu-Ray to PC, and the encoding is brutally slow on my 6700K, but I'd probably stick with the Ryzen.

As a gamer, I'd got for the 8700k personally. It's best for gaming and now with Intel pushing out 6 cores... hell even the 8600k looks dope as f***. I got f***ed man. I was trying to keep my old PC running long enough for it and the motherboard died like 2 months before coffeelake so I had to go with skylake :(

It's still amazing though, just wanted the 6 core beast. You could do a micro-atx or mid-tower build tho, there are some smaller mid-towers. Micro-ATX board, could probably even do a 1080Ti build in it for the price of one of those ridiculous gaming laptops. Like I recently spec'd out 4 builds for a friend, and the most expensive one was 1300$ USD, you change the 1060 for a 1080ti it's probably around what 2000$ USD? Those laptops are like 2000$ CAD the ones with a 1060. Seems way more worthwhile to do an 8700k + 1080Ti smaller build than to go with a gaming laptop.

Me personally, I need it for portability tho so I can game on the go.

Reactions: Kestrel

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
As a gamer, I'd got for the 8700k personally. It's best for gaming and now with Intel pushing out 6 cores... hell even the 8600k looks dope as ****. I got ****ed man. I was trying to keep my old PC running long enough for it and the motherboard died like 2 months before coffeelake so I had to go with skylake :(

It's still amazing though, just wanted the 6 core beast. You could do a micro-atx or mid-tower build tho, there are some smaller mid-towers. Micro-ATX board, could probably even do a 1080Ti build in it for the price of one of those ridiculous gaming laptops. Like I recently spec'd out 4 builds for a friend, and the most expensive one was 1300$ USD, you change the 1060 for a 1080ti it's probably around what 2000$ USD? Those laptops are like 2000$ CAD the ones with a 1060. Seems way more worthwhile to do an 8700k + 1080Ti smaller build than to go with a gaming laptop.

Me personally, I need it for portability tho so I can game on the go.

Yeah, portability would be nice... but almost anything I would have taken my laptop on the road for, I've got a beastly little tablet that will do the job. I do still game, but not frequently enough I would call myself a gamer anymore. I'm half trying to talk myself into Threadripper, half trying to talk myself out of it - I'll probably settle for an AMD r7, or possibly the Ryzen 2000 equivalent if I wait that long - multitasking is more of a big deal to me than straight out maxing my frame rates, but I would probably still get a 1060/580 level card, possibly more.

But... if I'm rearranging the space for a PC, I think I'm going all out, and getting a full ATX board. I've never been able to talk myself into anything less than that :laugh::laugh:

Any of you guys play with Launchbox? I've got it on my Plex server, but haven't fully set it up. If any of you have, are you aware of any good walkthroughs? I need to take a weekend, and get a few of the systems working - having that thing hooked up to the big screen, there's just too much potential for retro fun there to be passing up!

Reactions: Devourers

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
More on the 4K Netflix thing - apparently it needs a WHQL driver, so it is likely that the next time AMD has a driver WHQL certified, whenever that is, that there will be 4K Netflix available over AMD GPU's. I have still seen a claim that the 580 can do 4K Netflix, IF over the Netflix app, and I have seen a claim that the Vega cards do 4K Netflix at this time, but I can't verify that those claims are accurate. I just know my 480 tops out at 1080p using either Edge or the app. Of note - most in this thread probably realize this, but if you don't - Chrome does not support even 1080p, nor does Firefox. Chrome I believe tops out at SD resolutions, but it might hit 720p, I don't remember for sure.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Seems like the most streamlined and out of the box guarantee would be to just get a Kaby Lake.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Seems like the most streamlined and out of the box guarantee would be to just get a Kaby Lake.

If you're buying within the next couple of months, I would say yes, although if you can get Coffee Lake without much of a premium, I would recommend that instead. You are getting 2 extra cores to your processor if you do that, and as the newer architecture, it will do everything Kaby Lake will do.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If you're buying within the next couple of months, I would say yes, although if you can get Coffee Lake without much of a premium, I would recommend that instead. You are getting 2 extra cores to your processor if you do that, and as the newer architecture, it will do everything Kaby Lake will do.

It's definitely something to think about. It will depend on price somewhat as I don't want to go any higher than $250 for the processor.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's definitely something to think about. It will depend on price somewhat as I don't want to go any higher than $250 for the processor.

Coffee Lake might save you money in a sense. An i3 8350K is quad core like Kaby lake i5's but $30-40 less or so.

7600k is $240 ish
8350k is $190 ish

Both perform about the same.

If you can find one anyway, since stocks are low. If you go Coffee lake you need a 300 series chipset on your motherboard though.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Well, I have partially committed myself to a full PC build as opposed to getting a laptop. If a screaming deal comes along, I'll still grab a laptop, but for now, I've ordered a CM HAF EVO XB II

71Bjq5xnJJL._SY542_.jpg

Bigger footprint than a regular case, but easier to hide away under things. I'm debating holding off for Ryzen 2xxx to come out - I'll have to do some research and see if it's likely to come out when I think it is. I'll probably buy a power supply in the more immediate future. Silly as it is, I kind of like to buy a piece at a time - it satisfies my spending urge over a more drawn out period, and keeps me from blowing more money :D That does make it a little easier to hold out for some newer parts next year, but we'll see if I can stick with it. If I can't, I'll likely build a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1060/580+ level card.

Edit: And I'm being wishy washy... I canceled the case order for now to think about it a bit. I'm half halfheartedly trying to talk myself down to an mATX board and case, but I have never regretted getting a full sized ATX board, but I HAVE regretted setting up a system with an mATX before. Choices choices.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Any advice on integrated Wi-Fi on the mobo or Wi-Fi card?

A lot of the times the "integrated" Wifi is actually a card as well that just happens to come with the board. So you might check that.

If you upgrade your router with new wireless standards ASAP you might get a card instead of paying for the premium motherboard that has built in wifi.

My preference are the little half size mini-pcie cards, they are about half the size of a lighter and lay flat on the motherboard. Then you get an antennae (separately) and attach it yourself. Unfortunately most motherboards for desktops don't have slots for them.

More common on Mini-itx boards. And laptops.

FWIW the integrated Wifi on my ASUS board is really good and came with a slick magnetic antennae.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
A lot of the times the "integrated" Wifi is actually a card as well that just happens to come with the board. So you might check that.

If you upgrade your router with new wireless standards ASAP you might get a card instead of paying for the premium motherboard that has built in wifi.

My preference are the little half size mini-pcie cards, they are about half the size of a lighter and lay flat on the motherboard. Then you get an antennae (separately) and attach it yourself. Unfortunately most motherboards for desktops don't have slots for them.

More common on Mini-itx boards. And laptops.

FWIW the integrated Wifi on my ASUS board is really good and came with a slick magnetic antennae.

Thanks for the advice. I have an updated router so maybe get a card separately.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, portability would be nice... but almost anything I would have taken my laptop on the road for, I've got a beastly little tablet that will do the job. I do still game, but not frequently enough I would call myself a gamer anymore. I'm half trying to talk myself into Threadripper, half trying to talk myself out of it - I'll probably settle for an AMD r7, or possibly the Ryzen 2000 equivalent if I wait that long - multitasking is more of a big deal to me than straight out maxing my frame rates, but I would probably still get a 1060/580 level card, possibly more.

But... if I'm rearranging the space for a PC, I think I'm going all out, and getting a full ATX board. I've never been able to talk myself into anything less than that :laugh::laugh:

Any of you guys play with Launchbox? I've got it on my Plex server, but haven't fully set it up. If any of you have, are you aware of any good walkthroughs? I need to take a weekend, and get a few of the systems working - having that thing hooked up to the big screen, there's just too much potential for retro fun there to be passing up!

I have full version of launchbox, normal free version of plex. Didn't know you could install launchbox on plex. Does that mean technically you could access launchbox via the PS4 plex app? Never even knew Plex could use Launchbox tbh.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I have full version of launchbox, normal free version of plex. Didn't know you could install launchbox on plex. Does that mean technically you could access launchbox via the PS4 plex app? Never even knew Plex could use Launchbox tbh.

I didn't actually install Launchbox on Plex, I just refer to that computer as the Plex server as that's its primary purpose - but it's an i7, it's more than powerful enough to run Plex in the background while doing other things, so I have Steam on there and Launchbox as well. I'd like to set it up as an extensive emulation machine.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Well, I have partially committed myself to a full PC build as opposed to getting a laptop. If a screaming deal comes along, I'll still grab a laptop, but for now, I've ordered a CM HAF EVO XB II

71Bjq5xnJJL._SY542_.jpg

Bigger footprint than a regular case, but easier to hide away under things. I'm debating holding off for Ryzen 2xxx to come out - I'll have to do some research and see if it's likely to come out when I think it is. I'll probably buy a power supply in the more immediate future. Silly as it is, I kind of like to buy a piece at a time - it satisfies my spending urge over a more drawn out period, and keeps me from blowing more money :D That does make it a little easier to hold out for some newer parts next year, but we'll see if I can stick with it. If I can't, I'll likely build a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1060/580+ level card.

Edit: And I'm being wishy washy... I canceled the case order for now to think about it a bit. I'm half halfheartedly trying to talk myself down to an mATX board and case, but I have never regretted getting a full sized ATX board, but I HAVE regretted setting up a system with an mATX before. Choices choices.

C'mon, I know you always wanted this baby. :thumbu:

800013.jpg

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
@Puck Haha... I've already used 3 of those in builds... the last one I gave to my sister when I moved on to my yet (this won't surprise you) unfinished console radio build... it's still completely functional, but aesthetically unfinished, but I haven't forgotten that when it's done, you want to see it.

Last edited:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Coffee Lake might save you money in a sense. An i3 8350K is quad core like Kaby lake i5's but $30-40 less or so.

7600k is $240 ish
8350k is $190 ish

Both perform about the same.

If you can find one anyway, since stocks are low. If you go Coffee lake you need a 300 series chipset on your motherboard though.

After looking into this I think I'm gonna go with the 8350k.

I can get one for $184 from newegg after tax (I have a 10% off coupon because they now make you pay tax in PA) or should I wait for a better deal?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
After looking into this I think I'm gonna go with the 8350k.

I can get one for $184 from newegg after tax (I have a 10% off coupon because they now make you pay tax in PA) or should I wait for a better deal?

If you can do that, I don't see an overriding reason to wait. There's ALWAYS something new and better on the horizon... in my case, I want a Ryzen system, but I know the new Ryzen upgrade is supposed to be coming in March, and I'm not in a hurry - but I'm not aware of anything compelling coming along if you're staying in the Intel ecosystem - that, and I'm waiting, because I'm very demanding and abusive of my computer hardware. My server has been hammered at close to 100% utilization for about a week now :laugh:

Others can always chime in if they disagree, but I would think you're just fine to buy now.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I had this thought as well, but then I remember I don't move.

"Portability" to me means walking from my desk to the couch. Fortunately, they make HDMI cables long enough for that. :laugh:

I have upon occasion taken my laptop over to my cousin's place when visiting - but I don't really do network gaming anymore, haven't in years - so my tablet does the job just fine these days. Other than that - I fit largely into the same scenario as you.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So... I was working on my dad's computer for him the other day - every damn time Windows 10 updates, it removes Windows Media Player from his N version and I'm ****ing tired of having to reinstall it - anyhow, that's a topic for another day. Anyhow, I realized his computer only has 2 GB of RAM in it - I had forgotten that he had had RAM die previously, while he was still on W7. I went ahead, and grabbed some cheap RAM from E-Bay; once it's here, I'll just ditch the 2 GB, and put in 8 GB. That got my curious though. I could pick up a Q9550 (or modded Xeon) for roughly $20, or one of the QxxxxX extreme processors for closer to $50. I normally don't like throwing money at such an old computer, but that seems like a cheap way to drastically improve processing power over his Q8200. Seems like a cheap way to indulge the upgrade bug and play around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad