PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
So, when you have the power supply plugged into the motherboard, and everything completely set up, the motherboard has a light that is on - and this is the case with either power supply? When you push the power button, what happens? Nothing? Fans start up, but no display?
Yes, if I flick the switch on the power supply my mobo has the green light. When I turn on the computer nothing happens. No fans, nothing.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I think it would be worth trying Sniper's CMOS battery trick. Otherwise, my tendency, since you tried two separate power supplies, would be to think it is the motherboard that is the issue. It does somewhat remind me of a computer I built for my mom years ago however. Every so often, the computer won't turn on. If you flip off the power supply at the back, and give it a few seconds (or watch for one of the LED's on the front of the computer to power down), then flip it back on, the computer can power up again. I thought it was the power supply, but the original power supply was replaced, and it still does it.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I think it would be worth trying Sniper's CMOS battery trick. Otherwise, my tendency, since you tried two separate power supplies, would be to think it is the motherboard that is the issue. It does somewhat remind me of a computer I built for my mom years ago however. Every so often, the computer won't turn on. If you flip off the power supply at the back, and give it a few seconds (or watch for one of the LED's on the front of the computer to power down), then flip it back on, the computer can power up again. I thought it was the power supply, but the original power supply was replaced, and it still does it.
Tried that. Still no luck. I can afford to buy a new processor and mobo since it will be about $300.00. But man if my gpu is damaged I'll cry.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I really doubt it's the GPU, unless something happened to kill several of your parts - I would expect that the computer should at least still try to do something if your GPU was toast. Still, crossing my fingers for you, I know I'd still be anxious in your position, but the GPU SHOULD still be fine.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think you ever said what the CPU and Board were @Levie, but there's a very good chance the CPU is still fine. When boards die it's pretty rare they take the CPU with it.

Of course I totally understand the instinct to buy both due to being unsure about the CPU (or it's in upgrade range). But if the CPU is relatively modern like say Haswell or newer I'd probably roll the dice on just a new board. Unless it's a lower end CPU that isn't worth keeping.

Also if it's a relatively new board, you might be able to RMA it with the manufacturer if you're in the warranty period and get a new one. I had an ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 croak out, got a refurbished one from ASRock about 3 weeks later. Waiting sucks though.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I don't think you ever said what the CPU and Board were @Levie, but there's a very good chance the CPU is still fine. When boards die it's pretty rare they take the CPU with it.

Of course I totally understand the instinct to buy both due to being unsure about the CPU (or it's in upgrade range). But if the CPU is relatively modern like say Haswell or newer I'd probably roll the dice on just a new board. Unless it's a lower end CPU that isn't worth keeping.

Also if it's a relatively new board, you might be able to RMA it with the manufacturer if you're in the warranty period and get a new one. I had an ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 croak out, got a refurbished one from ASRock about 3 weeks later. Waiting sucks though.
Board is a 1150 series ASrock. I'm upgrading the processor because the 1150 series mobos are now more expensive than just upgrading to 1151.

Skylake i5 should be a nice performance increase.

I totally got my moneys worth for this mobo and processor. 7 years of consistent use and only the gpu died from my original build. upgraded that to a 970 gtx 2 years ago.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure if it is just me but the Newegg links for SniperHF's Desktop PC Builds on post #12 of this thread don't seem to work. It just sends to a generic Newegg builds page.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not sure if it is just me but the Newegg links for SniperHF's Desktop PC Builds on post #12 of this thread don't seem to work. It just sends to a generic Newegg builds page.

I haven't updated it in a long time, one of these days I'll make a new one.

Anandtech does a good job with some of their quarterly build articles if you're just looking to get some ideas or see what's out there.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
So, got my new parts and began building. Everything is plugged in but I'm getting a weird display that's just a green screen with random pixels.. All fans are on (cpu fan, gpu fan, psu fan, case fan) lights are all on on the mobo.
Did I f*** up mounting the cpu? Or is my gpu toast? The weirdest thing was one of the times I turned on my computer I heard windows boot up but there was no display (just a black screen)

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So, got my new parts and began building. Everything is plugged in but I'm getting a weird display that's just a green screen with random pixels.. All fans are on (cpu fan, gpu fan, psu fan, case fan) lights are all on on the mobo.
Did I **** up mounting the cpu? Or is my gpu toast? The weirdest thing was one of the times I turned on my computer I heard windows boot up but there was no display (just a black screen)

I assume you went Intel? If so, can you plug it into the motherboard's video out, and get it to display properly? With/without the video card plugged into the motherboard?

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I assume you went Intel? If so, can you plug it into the motherboard's video out, and get it to display properly? With/without the video card plugged into the motherboard?
I have no clue what is up I am just getting no display. I can't figured out why,. (Not sure how to plug directly into mobo but I using both an HDMI and dvi connection on my monitor and don't see anything. It's a new mobo, no processor, new ram. All fans running properly. Boots up (can even hear windows theme on my speakers) but just a black screen.

I've never built a new computer with an existing SSD could this be an issue?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I have no clue what is up I am just getting no display. I can't figured out why,. (Not sure how to plug directly into mobo but I using both an HDMI and dvi

If your motherboard/CPU have a built in graphics processor you can plug into the HDMI/ display port on the motherboard header where all your USB's and network port are.

Very model dependent.

If you're getting sound and all that it's probably working just displaying video output somewhere you aren't expecting.

Using an existing SSD shouldn't matter at all for seeing the UEFI boot up screen and all that. It might cause issues in windows if you are trying to use an existing install of Windows from your old board. But if you can't see anything at any point it's not the issue.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
If your motherboard/CPU have a built in graphics processor you can plug into the HDMI/ display port on the motherboard header where all your USB's and network port are.

Very model dependent.

If you're getting sound and all that it's probably working just displaying video output somewhere you aren't expecting.

Using an existing SSD shouldn't matter at all for seeing the UEFI boot up screen and all that. It might cause issues in windows if you are trying to use an existing install of Windows from your old board. But if you can't see anything at any point it's not the issue.
Have no clue what the deal is. The main connection called for 2 pairs of pwer LEDs to be inserted but my case only has cords for 1 I assume that isn't the issue.

It's a gigabyte Z170 Mobo and the error code I'm getting is AO (or A0)

Edit: Screen Came on for a second, saw windows theme...then... green screen with random red pixels. That's a gpu issue if I didn't know any better FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Have no clue what the deal is. The main connection called for 2 pairs of pwer LEDs to be inserted but my case only has cords for 1 I assume that isn't the issue.

It's a gigabyte Z170 Mobo and the error code I'm getting is AO (or A0)

Edit: Screen Came on for a second, saw windows theme...then... green screen with random red pixels. That's a gpu issue if I didn't know any better FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

First thing I'd try is looking to see if your motherboard has a DVI or HDMI hookup - like Sniper said, it would be in the same area as all your USB and ethernet connectors are. If it does, connect your monitor to that, and see how it goes - and report back if you need further help of course. If that isn't an option, I would try a different video cable - that CAN create the problems you are seeing. It may be the video card, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
yeah any Z170 should have an HDMI port. if that works, your GPU is kaput

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
yeah any Z170 should have an HDMI port. if that works, your GPU is kaput

It has been awhile since I built mine... but there were actually a handful of Z170 boards that I steered away from because they did NOT have an HDMI port. It kind of blew my mind - they weren't totally without video ports, they had one or both of D-SUB and DVI - if a modern board is including video ports, you would think it should include the most commonly used one?!?

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It has been awhile since I built mine... but there were actually a handful of Z170 boards that I steered away from because they did NOT have an HDMI port. It kind of blew my mind - they weren't totally without video ports, they had one or both of D-SUB and DVI - if a modern board is including video ports, you would think it should include the most commonly used one?!?
Thank you for the advice. My old mobo didn't have a display port so I didn't think of it. Just plugged in my display through the mobo and took my gfx card in... works. Well I'm glad I bult the computer properly but shitty I don't have a gfx card.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Thank you for the advice. My old mobo didn't have a display port so I didn't think of it. Just plugged in my display through the mobo and took my gfx card in... works. Well I'm glad I bult the computer properly but ****ty I don't have a gfx card.

That does really suck. The good news is, onboard video is miles ahead of where it used to be, so you can still limp along with some moderate, low detailed gaming until you're in a position to replace your video card. What was your card? Do you have any budget left at the moment, or do you need to hold off on a card for awhile?

Also... IF you're brave... you could research the video card oven fix. I've done it with a motherboard, and had mixed results, but if the card is currently useless anyway, it could be worth a try.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Just to briefly explain the fix, so you know if you want to look into it, you would remove the plastic shroud from your card... you would ball up some aluminum foil - you would get a cookie sheet, and put the foil balls on there, to keep the card from directly contacting the cookie sheet, and you would put the card in your oven for a set period of time at a set temperature - the idea is that you are melting down the solder points just enough to repair any micro-fractures. If your card has bad caps or a problem along those lines, you're probably just screwed, but there is a chance that you bring your card back to life - and can use it long enough to hold you over until you can get a new card.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Mmmmm, baked graphics card.

Maybe it's still under warranty though?

Haha, if it's still under warranty, definitely go that route. Where he mentioned earlier that he can't really handle replacing the card, I assumed it wasn't.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Here's another thought Levie... I don't know where you're located, and I don't know for sure what prices are like in the US - but if you're in the US, here's a 1050ti for about $120 - not a high end card, but should be a reasonably competent gamer until you're in a position to buy something else, assuming you could budget for this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6255-RX

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That's a good price, the 4GB version even.

I mainly brought it up because you'd be surprised how long warranties are for some parts :laugh:

But then again his whole computer fried as I recall so they'd probably figure that out :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad