PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Good time to be an AMD fan I think, especially with Ryzen. Really ****ing glad they are a legit competitor in the CPU market again.
Absolutely. My sister loves her Ryzen gaming build that I did for her, and my Threadripper is doing a marvelous job of what I got it for - specifically ripping and encoding 100's of DVDs and blurays while still doing a bunch of other things :laugh: I'm happy that they have forced Intel to up their core count too - that's just good for everyone.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Threadripper is so overkill for a single person :laugh:. I'd love one though. I'm currently running an i7-6700K and would love to upgrade, but yeah, money haha. I'm sure the new 2700X would torch my i7-6700K.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Threadripper is so overkill for a single person :laugh:. I'd love one though. I'm currently running an i7-6700K and would love to upgrade, but yeah, money haha. I'm sure the new 2700X would torch my i7-6700K.

In productivity stuff, us 6700K users would absolutely get wrecked. In gaming, though, not so much....at least from what I've read.

I'd love to build an AMD system next but I'm pretty much locked into NVIDIA cards ever since the purchase of that ridiculously expensive G-Sync monitor....

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

In productivity stuff, us 6700K users would absolutely get wrecked. In gaming, though, not so much....at least from what I've read.

I'd love to build an AMD system next but I'm pretty much locked into NVIDIA cards ever since the purchase of that ridiculously expensive G-Sync monitor....
Yeah, for what I'm doing with it, it wrecks an i7-6700K - I know first hand, because that's exactly what my Plex server runs on, is an i7-6700K. With the Threadripper, I will rip two discs simultaneously while encoding all the backlogged rips I already have, while watching a movie on another screen, while browsing, and often while playing something like Minecraft at the same time. No hiccups at all, while still absolutely destroying what the 6700K would do with the encodes.

Gaming, I can't directly comment as I haven't done anything demanding. It runs New Vegas like a breeze, but any modern CPU should do that. I do have some newer games, but I'm just not the gamer I once was. It is supposed to do just fine on most games, as long as you are willing to switch CPU modes - but if the computer's primary use was as a gamer, I would say that would be a real hassle, and not worth it.

Edit: and I misread your gaming comment - my understanding would be that yes, you are right - Intel is the way to go for a purely gamer machine... although I don't think AMD is a wrong answer for gaming, unless you've got to absolutely pump out as many FPS as you possible can. Threadripper though, would be an insane machine to put together as a gamer. I don't mean insane in a good way either - just as a way to throw away money for nothing. For a multi-purpose machine - ie, productivity and gaming - I think I would go AMD. For pure single threaded performance, Intel is still king, but if the article I posted is accurate, it sounds like AMD is narrowing that lead.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Pretty funny to flip through the gaming tests on TPU and see @1080p the i3-8350k in the top 5 of a lot of games or even leading. Only 4/4 but I would find it hard to beat at $175. Which is of course why old i5's that are also only 4/4 still blast through everything too.

Also the new Ryzens seem to have some bizarre overclocking behavior.
What I really want to see is what the new Ryzen 3's look like. They were the best value in the last gen IMO. 1300x with a pretty high stock clock for $130 was pretty nice.

Intel's price shifting last time made the R5's kinda pointless, I expect they'll do something similar again. I wouldn't mind seeing the 6 core 8600k price cut.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Pretty funny to flip through the gaming tests on TPU and see @1080p the i3-8350k in the top 5 of a lot of games or even leading. Only 4/4 but I would find it hard to beat at $175. Which is of course why old i5's that are also only 4/4 still blast through everything too.

Also the new Ryzens seem to have some bizarre overclocking behavior.
What I really want to see is what the new Ryzen 3's look like. They were the best value in the last gen IMO. 1300x with a pretty high stock clock for $130 was pretty nice.

Intel's price shifting last time made the R5's kinda pointless, I expect they'll do something similar again. I wouldn't mind seeing the 6 core 8600k price cut.
I think the 6 core r5's still weren't a bad option when you factor in motherboard costs and features - at least in the Canadian market. I do kind of wish that Intel's price and core shift had happened before my sister needed a system, so I would have had more options, but that said, her r5 1600 has been a pretty solid system for her, and I think was the best option available for her at the time.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Might have finally reached the end for Sandy Bridge.

My keyboard had been bugging out disconnecting and reconnecting. I figured it was the KB. But then the mouse started doing it too. Probably the motherboard.

Also I saw this linked the other day. A *VERY* thorough benchmarking of CPUs @1080p from many generations as part of the new Ryzen review.

It was done by a French site but here's a translate link:
Google Translate

Wish they included minimum FPS as I think that's the most important factor in when you need a CPU upgrade or not. But still very interesting. Also it's with a 1080 ti so the test is a little silly when you pair it with a core 2 quad :laugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Might have finally reached the end for Sandy Bridge.

My keyboard had been bugging out disconnecting and reconnecting. I figured it was the KB. But then the mouse started doing it too. Probably the motherboard.

Also I saw this linked the other day. A *VERY* thorough benchmarking of CPUs @1080p from many generations as part of the new Ryzen review.

It was done by a French site but here's a translate link:
Google Translate

Wish they included minimum FPS as I think that's the most important factor in when you need a CPU upgrade or not. But still very interesting. Also it's with a 1080 ti so the test is a little silly when you pair it with a core 2 quad :laugh:
I didn't sleep last night, so I'm largely in TLDR mode - do you have a TLDR? I read the last page, which made it sound like the new chips won't perform to the same degree as the Intel chips in gaming (but do great in productivity use), but still won't hurt most people in gaming, and are relevant due to aggressive pricing - am I close?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I didn't sleep last night, so I'm largely in TLDR mode - do you have a TLDR? I read the last page, which made it sound like the new chips won't perform to the same degree as the Intel chips in gaming (but do great in productivity use), but still won't hurt most people in gaming, and are relevant due to aggressive pricing - am I close?

I don't really have a fully formed opinion yet. I want to see some reviews with a card that's something less than a 1080 ti :laugh:

The new R5 and R7 have a single threaded score on passmark that's pretty close to an i3 8350k but worse than the 6 core i5 8600k.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

3-7% slower than Intel 6+ cores. But again that's with a stupid 1080 ti. Switch it to an Rx 480 or even a 1070 and you'll see the margins shrink considerably I'd imagine.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I don't really have a fully formed opinion yet. I want to see some reviews with a card that's something less than a 1080 ti :laugh:

The new R5 and R7 have a single threaded score on passmark that's pretty close to an i3 8350k but worse than the 6 core i5 8600k.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

3-7% slower than Intel 6+ cores. But again that's with a stupid 1080 ti. Switch it to an Rx 480 or even a 1070 and you'll see the margins shrink considerably I'd imagine.
Thanks. Yeah, I agree... 1080ti tests are interesting and all... but most gamers are definitely gaming with something more in the 1050ti to 1070 and their AMD equivalents range. Like you mentioned in your previous post, minimum frame rates can be a bigger deal than average frame rates too. I'd rather play something at a consistent 30 to 40 fps than something that averages 60 fps but will at times dip to 10 or 15.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I could see my new system being a GTX 1170 and whatever the newer version of the i5 8600k is at the time

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
EVGA has started offering "instant discounts" on most of their cards ranging from roughly 5-15%. Still higher then last summer, but positive sign downward pricing pressure is happening. Some of the current prices:

1060 6GB - $290
1070 Ti 8GB - $510
1080 8GB - $610

no drops on the 1080 Ti yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Alright, so I've decided that I NEED dual monitors. Really enjoy the monitor I have now, which is a Asus - MX239H 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor -- I'm just wondering for those of you that have the dual monitors, how big of a deal is not having two of the same kind? Cheapest I can find that for is ~230 CDN after taxes and all that, and I'm not sure if I wanna drop that on something that isn't a necessity.

So, in your opinion- same monitor, different monitor with the same color scheme, or who gives a f*** a monitor is a monitor?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Alright, so I've decided that I NEED dual monitors. Really enjoy the monitor I have now, which is a Asus - MX239H 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor -- I'm just wondering for those of you that have the dual monitors, how big of a deal is not having two of the same kind? Cheapest I can find that for is ~230 CDN after taxes and all that, and I'm not sure if I wanna drop that on something that isn't a necessity.

So, in your opinion- same monitor, different monitor with the same color scheme, or who gives a **** a monitor is a monitor?

I base it on how much I'll be using the secondary monitor.

If you are using it as a sometimes secondary monitor, maybe throw up a stream on it once in a while or a a few documents you'll look a when working: Basically any ole monitor will do. I would try and find one about the same height (psychically) though. It makes it more comfortable when moving the mouse around.

If it's a frequently used monitor on a work system or something you are doing a ton of productivity type work on, using dual monitors >50% of the time, I'd prefer them be the same.

In some cases a different monitor is even preferable though. For example I have an old 4:3 monitor I keep around and if I'm doing a lot of word document stuff I'll hook it up as a second, since 4:3's are generally give you more vertical space.

It looks like the one you have now is silver, so if you wanted them to match color wise jsut for looks purposes that will be a little harder. Though you could maybe get something like this one which has a very thin bezel so there's not much to see anyway:
AOC I2267FW 22-Inch Class IPS Frameless/Slim LED Monitor, Full HD,250 cd/m2 Brightness,5ms,50M:1 DCR,VGA/DVI - Newegg.ca

Or this one a little more money but is another 23"
AOC I2379VHE 23" 50,000,000:1 (DCR) 16:9 LCD Monitor, 250cd/m2, Frameless IPS with HDMI - Newegg.ca

Also don't forget to check what inputs/outputs you have available.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I base it on how much I'll be using the secondary monitor.

If you are using it as a sometimes secondary monitor, maybe throw up a stream on it once in a while or a a few documents you'll look a when working: Basically any ole monitor will do. I would try and find one about the same height (psychically) though. It makes it more comfortable when moving the mouse around.

If it's a frequently used monitor on a work system or something you are doing a ton of productivity type work on, using dual monitors >50% of the time, I'd prefer them be the same.

In some cases a different monitor is even preferable though. For example I have an old 4:3 monitor I keep around and if I'm doing a lot of word document stuff I'll hook it up as a second, since 4:3's are generally give you more vertical space.

It looks like the one you have now is silver, so if you wanted them to match color wise jsut for looks purposes that will be a little harder. Though you could maybe get something like this one which has a very thin bezel so there's not much to see anyway:
AOC I2267FW 22-Inch Class IPS Frameless/Slim LED Monitor, Full HD,250 cd/m2 Brightness,5ms,50M:1 DCR,VGA/DVI - Newegg.ca

Or this one a little more money but is another 23"
AOC I2379VHE 23" 50,000,000:1 (DCR) 16:9 LCD Monitor, 250cd/m2, Frameless IPS with HDMI - Newegg.ca

Also don't forget to check what inputs/outputs you have available.
Thanks SniperHF -- I was just planning on throwing a stream on it whenever I'm doing something on the other screen. Having the same silver scheme will look better in my opinion, so I think I may pull the trigger on that first link you posted, I have an extra VGA, and DVI port in my GPU so everything should be good.

Thanks again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

So, in your opinion- same monitor, different monitor with the same color scheme, or who gives a **** a monitor is a monitor?

Personally I'd go nuts if they weren't identical in screen size and viewing height. Which often means you need identical monitors as different models/brands usually have slightly different viewing heights even if they're identical screen sizes.

I treat my dual monitor systems equally--I'm just as likely to do a task on either monitor. It mostly depends on what other multitasking windows I currently have open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad