PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So I have a routine of getting home and checking graphics cards and I saw this one on sale: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1070 Ti DUKE 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.ca

I know you said minimum was 1070ti for good VR, what do you think of that card?
It's a very good card. It's a lot of money. If being guaranteed that you will get a very good card is your top priority, grab the card at the bottom of the page for less money, and don't let yourself be disappointed if it ends up you could have gotten a better card cheaper with a little patience.

I'm not saying you WILL be able to get a better card cheaper - it's just a situation that is that uncertain right now.

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 DUKE 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Cards - Newegg.ca

That's a 1080... slightly better than the card you posted.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's a very good card. It's a lot of money. If being guaranteed that you will get a very good card is your top priority, grab the card at the bottom of the page for less money, and don't let yourself be disappointed if it ends up you could have gotten a better card cheaper with a little patience.

I'm not saying you WILL be able to get a better card cheaper - it's just a situation that is that uncertain right now.

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 DUKE 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Cards - Newegg.ca

Ha I was looking at the $1500 stuff. If I can get a card under $1000 I'm happy with that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The GTX 1080 MSRP was for $600 USD FWIW.

$874 CA doesn't seem to bad as far as things are going right now :laugh:

Switching over to USD, that card is selling for $679.

I usually prefer to buy direct from newegg (or Amazon) as well instead of from one of the partner marketplace sellers.

Reactions: Kestrel

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That's actually a good deal when you do the conversion assuming the last time I looked at forex was right.

Maybe I'll pick it up, save the money (I was thinking I was going to have to drop ~1200) and wait for those next-gen Ryzen processors.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
That's actually a good deal when you do the conversion assuming the last time I looked at forex was right.

Maybe I'll pick it up, save the money (I was thinking I was going to have to drop ~1200) and wait for those next-gen Ryzen processors.
Sounds like a plan - I'm jealously chugging along with my RX 560 - although with the old games I'm playing right now, the 1080 would be super overkill :laugh: I will eventually want to play something modern though.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
So while I don't have a link, there's a rumor that those awesome 4K HDR G-Sync monitors have been pushed back to Q3... and these things were shown off at CES 2017, over a year ago. f***ing hell...

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So while I don't have a link, there's a rumor that those awesome 4K HDR G-Sync monitors have been pushed back to Q3... and these things were shown off at CES 2017, over a year ago. ****ing hell...

Probably because only Warren Buffett could afford to purchase both the monitor and a gpu to run it. Seriously though, what are the prices on those monitors going to be like?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Really? That's not actually near as high as I was thinking. IIRC that is about where the PG279Q ROG started at. Will these be IPS as well or back to TN?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The GTX 1080 MSRP was for $600 USD FWIW.

$874 CA doesn't seem to bad as far as things are going right now :laugh:

Switching over to USD, that card is selling for $679.

I usually prefer to buy direct from newegg (or Amazon) as well instead of from one of the partner marketplace sellers.

EVGA actually has the 1070 TI SC (Super Clock) in stock right now for $609 USD.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Network is finally set up:

upload_2018-3-16_14-2-11.png

I haven't messed with Cisco crap in awhile so it's good retraining. Yesterday I thought I had a problem with my NAT or ACL as I couldn't remote into the two routers behind the gateway. So I'm running around trying to fix it, changing all these settings.

Turned out I was just dumb and forgot I had intentionally disconnected my management network so I could make sure no traffic was passing over it. Oops. The next day's fresh eyes are always helpful :biglaugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Network is finally set up:

View attachment 105129

I haven't messed with Cisco crap in awhile so it's good retraining. Yesterday I thought I had a problem with my NAT or ACL as I couldn't remote into the two routers behind the gateway. So I'm running around trying to fix it, changing all these settings.

Turned out I was just dumb and forgot I had intentionally disconnected my management network so I could make sure no traffic was passing over it. Oops. The next day's fresh eyes are always helpful :biglaugh:
I'm simultaneously jealous... and yet relieved that I'm only playing with consumer level stuff. My networking days were over 15 years ago, I don't want to have to relearn everything!

It does remind me of LAN gaming back in the day though - I did a fair bit of it with my family, and my dad and one of my uncles were NOT good at FPS games, so we gave them bright fluorescent skins, so everyone would leave them alone - yet my one cousin, that the rest of us KNOW was using an aim-bot, would routinely prey on them, and claim it was an accident. Back then, I used to really crave a managed switch - so that his computer could have mysterious connectivity problems :naughty:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I hope Video Card and Ram prices stabilize by next year. Just gave my dad my pc (i5 4690k w/ 1060 6gig). Really dont want to spend 200 bucks for a low end card.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I was going to order it this weekend but it sold out. LOL. Well.

How about this one sold by Amazon.ca that they say will be in on March 30th? I know the reviews talk about bad packaging but coming from Amazon itself should be good, right?

www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-Watercooling-Support-08G-P4-6288-KR/dp/B01LHYIFE0/

Others seem out of stock without any mention of restocking:

I'm kind of shocked. I thought I would be ok to wait until the weekend because I had some work to finish up. I was wrong.

Man, I'm really tempted to order that first one I listed just above in this post because I'm afraid the pre-order of a restock is going to run out. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I was going to order it this weekend but it sold out. LOL. Well.

How about this one sold by Amazon.ca that they say will be in on March 30th? I know the reviews talk about bad packaging but coming from Amazon itself should be good, right?

www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-Watercooling-Support-08G-P4-6288-KR/dp/B01LHYIFE0/

Others seem out of stock without any mention of restocking:

I'm kind of shocked. I thought I would be ok to wait until the weekend because I had some work to finish up. I was wrong.

Man, I'm really tempted to order that first one I listed just above in this post because I'm afraid the pre-order of a restock is going to run out. This is ridiculous.
I wouldn't count on it coming back in stock, although if it doesn't, you just cancel the order. That's a good price and good card - it IS set up for water cooling though - is that something you plan to do? You might be able to set it up for air cooling instead, but that's not something I've ever done, so I don't know how difficult it is to do - that might require buying a new cooler, and changing it out.

TLDR if you want to do water cooling, buy it - if you don't, it might be worth paying a bit more to get one set up for air cooling. You can also go to the card I linked you to, and set up an auto-notification for when it's back in stock.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I wouldn't count on it coming back in stock, although if it doesn't, you just cancel the order. That's a good price and good card - it IS set up for water cooling though - is that something you plan to do?

It looks like that card has the equivalent of a AiO CPU cooler like a Corsair H110 built into it with a pump. So you don't need any extra crap for it other than to mount the Rad/Fan. The Fury X reference cooler was like that.

The FTW HC is the one with just the water block.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I wouldn't count on it coming back in stock, although if it doesn't, you just cancel the order. That's a good price and good card - it IS set up for water cooling though - is that something you plan to do? You might be able to set it up for air cooling instead, but that's not something I've ever done, so I don't know how difficult it is to do - that might require buying a new cooler, and changing it out.

TLDR if you want to do water cooling, buy it - if you don't, it might be worth paying a bit more to get one set up for air cooling. You can also go to the card I linked you to, and set up an auto-notification for when it's back in stock.

I guess I don't know enough about watercooling but it sounds a little complex.

Maybe what I could do is order this one and hope it gets back in stock? www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GeForce-WINDFORCE-Cooling-Graphics/dp/B01GCAW1IA/

And cancel it if I get an auto-notification first on the Newegg one you pointed out?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I guess I don't know enough about watercooling but it sounds a little complex.

Maybe what I could do is order this one and hope it gets back in stock? www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GeForce-WINDFORCE-Cooling-Graphics/dp/B01GCAW1IA/

And cancel it if I get an auto-notification first on the Newegg one you pointed out?
You could do that. If you want something right away, this is more, but available now:

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 AERO 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card - Newegg.ca

@SniperHF I'm assuming you're just saying that it would be really easy to set up the water cooling on that card? I know nothing about water cooling.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They're good to order from? I'll order one right now.

I'll go with the $900 one I guess, should I write them first to confirm if they have them or not?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
They're good to order from? I'll order one right now.

I'll go with the $900 one I guess, should I write them first to confirm if they have them or not?
I've only bought from Mike's once or twice, and they weren't low stock items - but worst case scenario, pay with PayPal, if they don't deliver, and don't want to fix it, complain to PayPal. Or pay with your credit card, and do the same thing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I've only bought from Mike's once or twice, and they weren't low stock items - but worst case scenario, pay with PayPal, if they don't deliver, and don't want to fix it, complain to PayPal. Or pay with your credit card, and do the same thing.

Ah, maybe I'll email them first to see if they have them in stock and if they confirm they do then I'll order as soon as they get back to me on my phone at my desk, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad