PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Also should I be buying connecting stuff separately or should I just cannibalize from the prebuilt computers I have kept around? Dust off the cables and use them for hard drives and stuff?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Also should I be buying connecting stuff separately or should I just cannibalize from the prebuilt computers I have kept around? Dust off the cables and use them for hard drives and stuff?

Motherboards usually include a few new cables.
If you need extras the old ones are probably in working order. I've had maybe 2 bad SATA cables in the ~13 years SATA has been around.

You could also borrow an optical drive from one of the older systems if needed. Though it looks like the case in the linked build doesn't have a drive bay for it. Most likely you don't need it anyway, but if you ever did have the need you can temporarily connect one and leave it sitting outside the case.

DO NOT cannibalize modular power supply cables. That's a good way to snap-crackle-pop something.

And yeah, you'd be good to buy the other parts now (unless waiting on new AMD CPUs) if you wanted and wait on the video card. Though I'd be tempted to just build it and have it sitting there waiting for a card to put in it. Run it on the integrated graphics if it's intel or borrow an older video card (depending on what it is anyway).

The only part that might substantially come down in price besides the video card if mining dries up is the RAM. And the savings on that would probably be $20-40 or so at most.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
You could also borrow an optical drive from one of the older systems if needed. Though it looks like the case in the linked build doesn't have a drive bay for it. Most likely you don't need it anyway, but if you ever did have the need you can temporarily connect one and leave it sitting outside the case.
Oops! I apparently wasn't paying quite enough attention! :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Oops! I apparently wasn't paying quite enough attention! :laugh:

I didn't even notice you had a blu ray on the list :P

So either the Phanteks has to go or the BDD drive.

Or keep the Phanteks and get an external 5.25 enclosure. Though if going that route you might as well get an external drive instead.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
If I weren't ripping a bunch of DVDs and Blu-rays, I might well have gone without an optical drive myself.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think I'd ever give up a 5.25 bay on my main system, too many old games. And it's not like they take up much space in the case if you're already committed to a full tower.
If you're really interested in the look or literally never use CD/DVD/Bluray then fine. Some people prefer the aesthetics of 5.25-less cases but I don't care about that. I'd just as soon throw my computer in a closet if it would stay cool in there.

My home network lab is progressing nicely. My half broken NAS is setup on a timer to come on when the backups run and stay off the rest of the time.
My old E8400 system is now a CentOS server running Apache and BIND so now I've got a local DNS.
My crusty Cisco 2507 (It has HUB ports...), the 2960 switch, and 2801 Router are all talking and can get out to the interwebs through my normal home router.
Still to set up: 3750x switch, two 2900 routers, and a 5510 ASA. And I need to get some SFPs for the 3750.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I do have a bluray drive sitting on top of my current tower (which only has a DVD drive). It would be ideal if I could throw 1-3 hard drives into the new case so I'll go looking for one that fits my needs.

Ultimately I am moving towards 8TB external drives, I already have one for my movies/TV shows from iTunes that's nearly full. I also noticed iTunes doesn't know how to find any of my stuff anymore and crashes. I need to locate the individual files on my external drive and open with iTunes. I guess I'll have to fix it and make a new "library" file or whatever Apple calls it.

I'll probably get a second 8TB in a few months because right now I have 2 1TB drives and a 2TB drive sitting around with quite a lot of other stuff like pictures and Windows Store movies and stuff. I'll throw it on there.

I've slowed down a lot on buying new stuff though. The iTunes stuff has been accumulated ever since release. I think I'll be fine for a long time at 16TBs unless I really start ripping my bluray discs and then I might get into a little trouble again.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
That sounds like quite the network you have going. I... kind of envy you. I've got my ISP's junky wireless router, directly connected to an 8 port gigabit switch, which is directly connected to a couple of better wireless AC routers - that's about as exciting as my network gets.

On another note... would you find it... unsurprising for a budget Acer laptop running an AMD A9 processor to maybe have heating problems? My mom's laptop has started to randomly reboot, so I reinstalled Windows, but also took a look at temperatures. CPUID hardware monitor was reporting temps up to 97 degrees, and looking up the processor, it is supposed to have an operating temperature of 90 degrees. I'm debating taking it apart, and repasting heat sinks... but I might get her a laptop cooler first, and see if that does enough.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I do have a bluray drive sitting on top of my current tower (which only has a DVD drive). It would be ideal if I could throw 1-3 hard drives into the new case so I'll go looking for one that fits my needs.

Ultimately I am moving towards 8TB external drives, I already have one for my movies/TV shows from iTunes that's nearly full. I also noticed iTunes doesn't know how to find any of my stuff anymore and crashes. I need to locate the individual files on my external drive and open with iTunes. I guess I'll have to fix it and make a new "library" file or whatever Apple calls it.

I'll probably get a second 8TB in a few months because right now I have 2 1TB drives and a 2TB drive sitting around with quite a lot of other stuff like pictures and Windows Store movies and stuff. I'll throw it on there.

I've slowed down a lot on buying new stuff though. The iTunes stuff has been accumulated ever since release. I think I'll be fine for a long time at 16TBs
If you don't mind a rather large case... I really like this one:

It has plenty of drive bays, including 5.25" bays. It has plenty of room for a large CPU heat sink if you end up wanting to put one in too.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
On another note... would you find it... unsurprising for a budget Acer laptop running an AMD A9 processor to maybe have heating problems? My mom's laptop has started to randomly reboot, so I reinstalled Windows, but also

I'd lookup a teardown if the model and see if it has a crappy heat pad. That might be a pain to replace.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'd lookup a teardown if the model and see if it has a crappy heat pad. That might be a pain to replace.
That's why I'm very tempted to just go the laptop cooler route first :laugh: I have never yet wrecked a laptop in a teardown, but I'm painfully aware that it's a possibility - especially when it's not my own laptop! I'll wait and see if it has any more random reboots now that I've reinstalled Windows too.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If you don't mind a rather large case... I really like this one:

It has plenty of drive bays, including 5.25" bays. It has plenty of room for a large CPU heat sink if you end up wanting to put one in too.

Thanks I'll grab it now with the money off and free shipping on Amazon and then look out for deals and those new releases on CPU and graphics card.

Reactions: Kestrel

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Thanks I'll grab it now with the money off and free shipping on Amazon and then look out for deals and those new releases on CPU and graphics card.
When you do start to build, I can give a pointer or two on that case.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That sounds like quite the network you have going. I... kind of envy you. I've got my ISP's junky wireless router, directly connected to an 8 port gigabit switch, which is directly connected to a couple of better wireless AC routers - that's about as exciting as my network gets.

Your network is mostly faster than mine though :laugh:. My only gigabit ports are on my TP Link router. All the rest are just fast Ethernet. Most of it was EoL at least 5 years ago, except the 2900's and the 3750.
All this crap is mostly for retraining purposes, I don't have much use for it otherwise. Make a 3 router network, ping around, blow it up and do it again. One of the Routers has a T3/E3 module, don't think I'll be needing that :laugh:. Also some of them as loud as f***. Especially the ASA 5510.

Though I might use one of the switches to replace my old netgear 24 port.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Your network is mostly faster than mine though :laugh:. My only gigabit ports are on my TP Link router. All the rest are just fast Ethernet. Most of it was EoL at least 5 years ago, except the 2900's and the 3750.
All this crap is mostly for retraining purposes, I don't have much use for it otherwise. Make a 3 router network, ping around, blow it up and do it again. One of the Routers has a T3/E3 module, don't think I'll be needing that :laugh:. Also some of them as loud as ****. Especially the ASA 5510.

Though I might use one of the switches to replace my old netgear 24 port.
Yeah, I definitely made sure my network was all gigabit and wireless AC when I did some upgrading a few years ago. I haven't been in the networking industry for years and years, so I don't need any training tools, but it would still be fun :laugh:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Just a thought @Daxi - IF you are waiting on the new AMD processors, you may want to wait on a motherboard too - the current AMD motherboards should work with new AMD processors, but may need a new BIOS - which depending on the motherboard, is likely to require a processor that already works on the motherboard. Now... AMD, with their current new APU processors, actually have a program where they will send you an older APU processor for the purpose of updating your motherboard BIOS, but it means you have to wait on them to send you a processor before you can get your system up and running. A new B450 or X470 motherboard will take the new processors right out of the box.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah. I'll wait it out for those new processors. I might get one or maybe I'll see if there are some modest price drops or sales in the current processors when the new ones come out.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to register to get alerts on sales on any video cards 1070Ti and better, lol. Maybe I'll wait it out for that Amphere stuff but Nvidia is already throwing wet water on that claiming they won't reveal as soon as websites have rumored they will be.

Motherboards usually include a few new cables.
If you need extras the old ones are probably in working order. I've had maybe 2 bad SATA cables in the ~13 years SATA has been around.

DO NOT cannibalize modular power supply cables. That's a good way to snap-crackle-pop something.

And yeah, you'd be good to buy the other parts now (unless waiting on new AMD CPUs) if you wanted and wait on the video card. Though I'd be tempted to just build it and have it sitting there waiting for a card to put in it. Run it on the integrated graphics if it's intel or borrow an older video card (depending on what it is anyway).

The only part that might substantially come down in price besides the video card if mining dries up is the RAM. And the savings on that would probably be $20-40 or so at most.

About the power supply cables - would I ever run into an issue of having to hook up too many things or are most power supply sources really generous with the amount of cables they have?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
About the power supply cables - would I ever run into an issue of having to hook up too many things

Unlikely.

I have run out of SATA connector power on occasion but it's pretty rare, usually on models from a few years back which have more MOLEX connectors for old 12v devices like some fans and older peripherals. And even then you can buy Y splitters for 3-10 bucks.

According to the specs the Seasonic in the linked build above has 8 SATA power connectors which should cover almost anything you need.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyone have issues with Ubuntu 16.04 and Steam? I think it has to do with audio drivers (Crashing in Ubuntu 16.04 when using Steam - Planetary Annihilation Titans & Classic PA Wiki) but that isn't doing it. I just got a brand new acer swift 3 with amd ryzen 7 - the few games that are compatible run fairly decent, but audio causes the OS to crash.

Frustrating because I don't want Windows 10 on this machine, only Linux.

I would definitely be looking at anything related to your hardware being basically brand new. Even though Ryzen has been out awhile now the APUs are fresh.
If you disable your audio system, either the device or just shutting off ALSA/Pulseaudio, does the problem go away?

Could always try switching distros, though Ubuntu is more likely to have support faster than the others.

There might be some alternate sound servers you can install in the package list though that's probably a long shot. A lot of that stuff has been homogenized/standardized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad