Prospect Info: Pavel Zacha

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Hope he's back soon.
I just don't understand how you can call a 20 year old a bust when they obviously show skill and talent. Sure, he's frustrating at times but so are most 20 year olds. Everyone doesn't come in and perform McDavid or Hischier right off the bat.

He's really just gotta work on his shot and his skating to get a bit more explosive in his acceleration.

His shot is clearly hard as hell, he's just gotta a get quicker with the release and a bit more accurate.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I personally think Zacha's skating is fine, obviously if he can improve on it then that'd be great but right now it's not a big problem. The two biggest things I'd like to see him improve in would be his stick-handling and shot accuracy. His shot has a lot of power to it, he just needs to get it off in better locations.

For his stick-handling he loses the puck quite a bit in tight situations, which I mean makes sense but it can definitely be better. Like when he's 1 on 1 against a defenseman he has the size and skating to get by him but he isn't handling the puck well enough at the moment. I really like how Zacha's progressing but there are some clear holes in his game that are keeping him off the scoresheet on a consistent basis. His vision is incredible. He's one of the few players on the team that can really thread the needle and find the open man in the offensive zone.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
He's really just gotta work on his shot and his skating to get a bit more explosive in his acceleration.

His shot is clearly hard as hell, he's just gotta a get quicker with the release and a bit more accurate.
His top end speed is very good imo, but like you said, he needs to improve that first step.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It'd be nice to know what is going on with him. That game he went out, there was no indication on the play or whatever that had happened to him. Its strange because he got totally plastered in the game before and was A-OK...

We need him in the lineup soon.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He still projecting as top6?

Given his offensive production so far I would say he projects more as a third liner at the moment. That's not to say he can't break out next year and still be a top 6 forward, but as of now I have my doubts.

He's clearly got the tools to be a good player in this league. I just sometimes wonder if he has the drive to be one.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He still projecting as top6?

I think so. I think he can be a strong 2nd line center. Production wise he had more points at even strength this season but he still struggled a bit. What's encouraging is his play was much better from the 2nd half of the season onwards, he just didn't convert that in those points.

This upcoming season will be massive to see how good of a player he can become. As it's been said since day 1 pretty much, he has all the tools. Can be put them together? It looked like he was getting the hang of it last season but now it's time to produce. I'm hoping for 50+ points in a 2nd line role next year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I’ve seen nothing from zacha (consistently) to indicate he’ll be anything other than a very good 3rd liner

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It honestly would be a shame if he can’t put it together as a top 6 player. Not because of the pick, but because he really does have all the tools.

Always sucks when a talented kid isn’t able to put it together.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It sucks too because he seemed so excited that the Devils drafted him. Hopefully he's just a late bloomer (compared to some others in his draft class at least) and puts it together next year. Having a legit #2 center would be absolutely huge for this team.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
It's going to be a long off-season and summer. This board will have projected Zacha's career a thousand times before puck drop next season, me included. I don't think he's smart enough or all that skilled enough to become the Getzlaf/Kopitar/etc-type that people, including Conte, may have envisioned on draft day. In the context of that draft, it doesn't look good, but bottom line is we got an NHL player with our pick.

Now Tedenby, Corrente, Matteau - those are terrible picks. Goddamn.

A main board thread brought an idea to mind, though, especially with respect to Zacha. NHL teams seem to overestimate how much of the game is teachable. The way information travels now, I find it hard to draft a kid with questionable IQ being that there are so many different ways to improve and learn the game with a click of a button. Motivated kids who eat, sleep and breathe hockey will show an obvious curve upward over time, Nico style. Which isn't to say some kids don't put it together later, but more often than not, with high end skill, morning shows the day.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's going to be a long off-season and summer. This board will have projected Zacha's career a thousand times before puck drop next season, me included. I don't think he's smart enough or all that skilled enough to become the Getzlaf/Kopitar/etc-type that people, including Conte, may have envisioned on draft day. In the context of that draft, it doesn't look good, but bottom line is we got an NHL player with our pick.

A main board thread brought an idea to mind, though, especially with respect to Zacha. NHL teams seem to overestimate how much of the game is teachable. The way information travels now, I find it hard to draft a kid with questionable IQ being that there are so many different ways to improve and learn the game with a click of a button. Motivated kids who eat, sleep and breathe hockey will show an obvious curve upward over time, Nico style. Which isn't to say some kids don't put it together later, but more often than not, with high end skill, morning shows the day.

I am not sure how much I buy that. Each level of hockey is just so different from the last that it makes sense some guys take more time to settle in. Especially the jump from juniors to the pros.

Some guys click quickly, some take time. Hell some need a new team before they find their traction.

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
I hope that he is late boomer like for example Mark Scheifele. I am not saying that he is going to be as good as Scheifele but I am saying that we have still hope with him and it is very possible that he can be a great top6 player in future.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

JJ was also a bad pick

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zacha is different than those guys though. He at least has the size to at worst be what he currently is. Those other guys were too undersized to contribute if they weren't scoring. Corrente just sucked.

Corrente had a bum shoulder before we picked him and it only got worse.

Nice kid, I talked with him at a training camp

Conte was on a long drunken bender for too many years with so many whiffs including JJ.

Hopefully his parting gift, PZ, harnesses his talent and becomes a solid Top-6

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
European Skaters Final Rankings | NHL.com - 2009 NHL Entry Draft
Josefson 3rd ranked European skater (ahead of OEL, MarJo, Orlov as examples)

The Hockey News' 2009 Draft Prospect Rankings | The Hockey News
Josefson 9th overall

Allan Muir: 2009 NHL mock draft
Josefson at 17

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey-spy’s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-preview/
Josefson at 20

2009 NHL Draft Power Rankings
Josefson at 14

He was picked 20th overall. But yes, please tell me how it was a reach.

The fact that he didn't turn out as we had hoped doesn't mean it was a bad pick at the time

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I see Zacha's issue's as lack of assertiveness, I think he thinks the game pretty well. Overthinks it perhaps.

Unless we are saying a guy who over thinks or over passes or is not aggressive enough lack's hockey IQ, and I could see using the term in that way, but I feel that is not often how it is used.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad