Prospect Info: Pavel Zacha

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Zacha's value has fell off a cliff this year, no point in trading him now unless its a bargain deal, lets hope NJ can develop him into a 30-40 point winger.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Does any of you guys speak Czech? If not, I recommend you use Google Translator and try to understand (as far as it's possible...) some of the comments here

Diskuse: Varování, které může skončit špatně: Zacha začal vysedávat na tribuně - iDNES.cz

It's a comment board on an article on his healthy scratches.

Many people are blaming his dad. They're saying that Pavel Sr. always pushed him like crazy, that Pavel Jr. couldn't even decide what to do with this life, that he may be burned out at only 20. Of course I don't how much of it is true, but Pavel Sr. is also one who once suggested kids should go less to school and train more. That's his solution to improve the talent level of Czech junior teams. Also, he said: "as a kid, Pavel Jr. played 11h per week hockey and 11 tennis, and had 9 competitions per week. He missed 200 school hours per semester, but that was okay".
Another one says that Pavel Jr.'s goal was always to reach the NHL. Now that he's done he's lacking other goals in his life. Another one believes that at 30 he won't play hockey and talk to his psycho dad anymore.

Maybe google-translate this as well: Nekonečný dril a žádná škola. Tak Zacha vychoval šampiona | Aktuálně.cz
The title says it all: Endless drill and no school - that's how Zacha (Sr.) raised a champion

Again, I don't know the Zachas in person, I'm just translating what I'm reading. But I feel like there could be something to it and an explanation for his recent struggles.
Oof. What a nightmare.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I’d rather him be a center but people are so quick to throw in the towel (not you, just in general).
I'm not sure what to think, I am still wondering where this physical mean streak is? Predraft he had a reputation as the hardest hitting forward in the draft, a Holik clone. I am seeing none of it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm not sure what to think, I am still wondering where this physical mean streak is? Predraft he had a reputation as the hardest hitting forward in the draft, a Holik clone. I am seeing none of it.

Yeah I wasn’t ever totally onboard with it at the time, and he hasn’t done much to make me change that thought, but I am confused by what exactly he is.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
His secret concussions have made him shy away from physical play.

Camille the Eel

I thought he had a good game last night and showed why we drafted him. He was involved; he was in the dirty area in front of the goal. Made a great pass. Give him a year of steady use and put some faith in him before we treat him as JJ. He's played like two of the last ten games, and that in different roles, with different guys around him. That is not a recipe for making him confident.

Plus Hynes treats him like every time he makes a mistake he gets yanked for five games. Thats not a way to give a kid confidence. Leave him out there to develop.

He either will or will not develop and finding out is a big part of our future.

Give him a chance. He really hasn't had one this year.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
that article is from 2014 for what it's worth
Yes, from his formation years, when he was a teenager. That's what this subject is about: his dad's influence in the past, while raising him.
The other article is from last saturday.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought he had a good game last night and showed why we drafted him. He was involved; he was in the dirty area in front of the goal. Made a great pass. Give him a year of steady use and put some faith in him before we treat him as JJ. He's played like two of the last ten games, and that in different roles, with different guys around him. That is not a recipe for making him confident.

Plus Hynes treats him like every time he makes a mistake he gets yanked for five games. Thats not a way to give a kid confidence. Leave him out there to develop.

He either will or will not develop and finding out is a big part of our future.

Give him a chance. He really hasn't had one this year.
He's had a couple assists in his recent games too.

I don't so much mind Hynes stressing the idea that Zacha needs to bring a higher energy level, and sitting him as a motivational tactic, but you can't go over board. Zacha needs a stretch of games.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I brought up the issue his dad in passing in the 2015 draft threads, but it's the kind of thing that's almost not worth discussing because it's crazy conjecture.

I do wonder how he'd react to AHL demotion, though. If he wants it, he's got to work.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I brought up the issue his dad in passing in the 2015 draft threads, but it's the kind of thing that's almost not worth discussing because it's crazy conjecture.

I do wonder how he'd react to AHL demotion, though. If he wants it, he's got to work.

I mean perhaps it's a reason why they're so loath to send him down, but I do wonder how much of this even matters now if the article is three years old, it's a bit conjecture.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean perhaps it's a reason why they're so loath to send him down, but I do wonder how much of this even matters now if the article is three years old, it's a bit conjecture.
Well, I don't think there's a statute of limitations on being absurdly driven into a career by a domineering father. But it's all breadcrumbs. There are plenty of players with drive issues that you couldn't draw a straight line if you tried.

Where I get stuck with Zacha is even determining if it's work ethic or just demeanor. He seems fragile, but I don't really get a "doesn't want to work hard" vibe necessarily.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Hynes has the approach all wrong...

Play DJ Yoshi's personal playlists in the press box during games and assign Deb to interview Zacha between intermissions to ask about home life growing up in the Czech Republic.

Zacha will find the motivation to stay in the lineup in no time. He will be on the phone with his dad, you were right pop, I'll work harder...really I swear, I'll work harder!! :cry:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
The Draft Analyst at the time of draft:

"A strong center with a variety ways to beat you, Zacha’s at his best when he’s unbridled in open ice and exploding up the ice as if he was shot out of a howitzer. He’s a devastating hitter who toes that line between acceptable and dirty. His physicality coupled with his speed are reasons why the seas in the offensive zone seem to part whenever he has the puck. Zacha possesses an excellent shot and an even better release, and his one-timer is devastatingly accurate."

Lollllll

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
multiple concussions, taking penalties for being too aggressive probably played a part. he hasn't taken a penalty in a while

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
All they had to do was ****ing take Barzal like myself and several other posters wanted.

Sure but they didn’t and you taking credit now doesn’t change reality. Between the defenders on the board and even a guy like Rantanen there were a number of potentially better alternatives but you’d be on a long line of people with the I told you so routine.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Draft Analyst at the time of draft:

"A strong center with a variety ways to beat you, Zacha’s at his best when he’s unbridled in open ice and exploding up the ice as if he was shot out of a howitzer. He’s a devastating hitter who toes that line between acceptable and dirty. His physicality coupled with his speed are reasons why the seas in the offensive zone seem to part whenever he has the puck. Zacha possesses an excellent shot and an even better release, and his one-timer is devastatingly accurate."

Lollllll

Did Conte write that or did he pay the reporter to write that?

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
his penalties were always chincy stick penalties, at least this season. last season he got that game ejection on maybe the only hard hit ive seen from him but if he just went into the corners or finished his hits he'd be more effective. you can see times he pulls up from hits when he doesn't need to. would just like to see that element of his game more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad