Recalled/Assigned: Pavel Buchnevich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Probably because they're trading for Smith and they need to be roster cap compliant until 5pm today.

This move isn't worth looking further into.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Confirmed, there is no 23-man roster limit on the day of the trade deadline.

https://committedindians.com/hockey-411-roster-limits/

According to Article 16 Section 4, the 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots (note: players assigned back to their junior clubs do not count towards the 50).

Buch will be called back up tomorrow. Basically, since NYR is picking up Smith, that puts them at 23. Vesey isn't going down apparently, so in order to be roster compliant, NYR needs to send Buch to the minors. at 12:01AM on 3/1, Buch can be called back up without consequences.

This is essentially a paper transaction.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Seems smart. Bounce a skilled Russian winger between the NHL and AHL to use him as a cap decoy. What could go wrong here :shakehead

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Nothing really.

Because Russian players that have played in the KHL never get pissed off at their respective NHL team and decide to go back home. That never happens.

If this is really roster related was there no one else they could have sent down? Genuinely asking

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Because Russian players that have played in the KHL never get pissed off at their respective NHL team and decide to go back home. That never happens.

If this is really roster related was there no one else they could have sent down? Genuinely asking

He's on an ELC. He can't go back.

Given that he's waiver exempt he's a logical choice. Other choices would be Skjei who we need or Vesey.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

He's not going to the AHL. This is a paper move because of Roster limits and them bringing in a player without trading one away.

Had to be made for the trade call to go through and PB is the only skater (besides Vesey who is playing tonight) who doesn't require waivers.

So they "send Pavel to the AHL" for a few hours until the roster limit is lifted. He won't actually go to Hartford.

This isn't even news but dumbell Aaron Ward just wanted to throw something out there and get some hits on his twitter.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
He's on an ELC. He can't go back.

Given that he's waiver exempt he's a logical choice. Other choices would be Skjei who we need or Vesey.

He's not going to the AHL. This is a paper move because of Roster limits and them bringing in a player without trading one away.

Had to be made for the trade call to go through and PB is the only skater (besides Vesey who is playing tonight) who doesn't require waivers.

So they "send Pavel to the AHL" for a few hours until the roster limit is lifted. He won't actually go to Hartford.

This isn't even news but dumbell Aaron Ward just wanted to throw something out there and get some hits on his twitter.

I hear you guys. It just seems like playing with fire and messing with his head for no reason. Doesn't seem like a smart move to potentially **** off your highly skilled Russian winger. But if there's no one else waiver exempt I get it

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I hear you guys. It just seems like playing with fire and messing with his head for no reason. Doesn't seem like a smart move to potentially **** off your highly skilled Russian winger. But if there's no one else waiver exempt I get it

He's literally down just to be roster compliant. He probably won't miss more than a game.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
wow
calm down friends
he probably wont even empty his locker or leave town
its a paper transaction
there are enough real things to bother yourself about
if you think this means any thing. in any way, I assure you, you're wrong about that

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
He's literally down just to be roster compliant. He probably won't miss more than a game.

I understand that. How Buch receives it is another matter. I hope his agent and/or the team explains it to him in a manner that makes him understand that fact. On the surface it just doesn't seem like a smart idea to choose to use him as the guy to dangle because it makes a statement about his current place on the team. If he was consistently in the top 6 like many think he should be then this never happens.

I'm sure it's a non issue.. all I'm saying is why screw with the psyche of a skilled 19 year old Russian still trying to acclimate to NA

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
wow
calm down friends
he probably wont even empty his locker or leave town
its a paper transaction
there are enough real things to bother yourself about
if you think this means any thing. in any way, I assure you, you're wrong about that

Pretty much this.

But, as I said before.. why not just IR Girardi if he's going to be out 2 weeks? 15 days for IR or am I mistaken?

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I understand that. How Buch receives it is another matter. I hope his agent and/or the team explains it to him in a manner that makes him understand that fact. On the surface it just doesn't seem like a smart idea to choose to use him as the guy to dangle because it makes a statement about his current place on the team. If he was consistently in the top 6 like many think he should be then this never happens.

I'm sure it's a non issue.. all I'm saying is why screw with the psyche of a skilled 19 year old Russian still trying to acclimate to NA

If his psyche is so weak that he can't handle a nothing paper transaction to get around the roster limit, he'll never be able to deal with the rigors of the NHL.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

There is literally nothing happening with him. He will do the same thing he would have done today and tomorrow as he would if this didn't happen.

I can't imagine anyone who's psyche is so weak they would be upset by this. There are no other options right now.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pretty much this.

But, as I said before.. why not just IR Girardi if he's going to be out 2 weeks? 15 days for IR or am I mistaken?

It's probably because they will technically bank a little bit of cap space today.

but yeah they could have just IR;d girardi. I think they're trying their best to pamper him so other GM's aren't afraid of him.

DOesn't matter, he's immovable anyway

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

So Buchnevich should be coddled because Russian players have acted like spoiled brats in the past? Speaking of making no sense...

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
For the record, during his press conference just now, Gorts mentioned the roster limit –*but also said "Pavel needs to play. If he wasn't going to be in the lineup tonight, we needed to get him some games." (Or something like that.)

Could just be smoke, and he could be back as early as tomorrow when the limit lifts, but at least that's the official statement as of this evening.

Could also be that he plays tomorrow in HFD and is back up for either of the next two games (one in Boston and one at MSG).

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If they want him to play a few games as well, I'd play him in Hartford until the big road trip the Rangers have coming up in early March. Bring him up for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad