Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I can`t believe AV used Lias on the 4th line, but some truth in it. and AV consider veterans had a longer rope, and one mistake from a youngster could quickly end on the 4th line next game. Will AV get hired this summer and coach another NHL team?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Pavel Buchnevich on his season, ice time and more

The line combinations at the end of the season seemed to be created in a "random way," like shuffling a deck of cards.

He "did not feel anything" when Alain Vigneault was let go and he learned about it from "the news."

On his season, Buchnevich said that everything depends on his confidence and that it's easier to play when he doesn't have to fear that one mistake will cause a decrease in ice time. He said that he could play a few good games in a row, struggle in one and then find himself on the fourth line with minimal ice time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Google translate from Russian is actually very good, some wacky phrasing but you can get 95% of something like this when you know the context

I'm not as fussed about the AV stuff as you guys, we all saw how he dealt with Buch's minutes and we all know he's hands-off with the players. No Kovalchuk question is interesting because I'm sure they chatted about that, the website links to the old story ten days ago where they say he's signing here.

Unlike most American or Canadian players Buch doesn't sound like an automaton, even with goofy Google Robot Russian transcripts.

I mean yeah it's the kind of stuff we knew, and it's hard to really tell much context at all from a translation of an interview. I'd say at most we know he had no confidence by the end of the season and was playing scared a lot of the time and that AV was hard on him when it came to mistakes, etc. All stuff we could see.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
At the end of the day Pavel scored 2 goals in the last 28 games of the season. Gorton talked about a couple of guys who kind of mailed it in and a lot posters here automatically assumed he was talking about Buch—and with good reason IMO.

My opinion—you don’t have to like it or agree with it—but the reason he stopped scoring goals more than anything else was he was too much on the perimeter after his concussion. He might blame AV for his numbers being shit in the second half. I think he should look in the mirror too. Personally I wouldn’t have had him anywhere near the first line if he wasn’t going hard to the net either.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Most likely both are to blame. With a long summer Buch has no excuse not to be in top shape come camp. A fresh start should do him good...and he should have plenty of opportunity to shine next season.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
At the end of the day Pavel scored 2 goals in the last 28 games of the season. Gorton talked about a couple of guys who kind of mailed it in and a lot posters here automatically assumed he was talking about Buch—and with good reason IMO.

My opinion—you don’t have to like it or agree with it—but the reason he stopped scoring goals more than anything else was he was too much on the perimeter after his concussion. He might blame AV for his numbers being **** in the second half. I think he should look in the mirror too. Personally I wouldn’t have had him anywhere near the first line if he wasn’t going hard to the net either.
No Gorton said he was disappointed there's a big difference. I remember what he said very vividly and if it's "disappointment" I can think of like 7 players he's talking about including Pavel and a laundry list of players and it's not for MAILING IT IN but perhaps their game wasn't sharp (Buch def had a reason for it.) Let's chill with the MAILING IT IN narrative.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Maybe you're seeing something different than what I've been seeing---Pavel Buchnevich is a very talented player and should be a very good player but nothing I've seen so far would lead me to think that he's ever going to be as good as Artemi Panarin. From what I've seen so far if I were to compare him to another Russian---it would be someone more like Maxim Afinogenov.

The Chicago pick right now is 7--the latest it will be is 9. Start ticking off the names---Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina are not going to be there--maybes start after those three--Boqvist, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Dobson---I don't know about you but I'd rather take my chances that every single one of them will be closer to the stud that Panarin is than Buchnevich will be. True that we'll have to wait a while to get that while Chicago quite possibly gets a guy who will begin to emerge right away but I still think in the long run we'll have the better player. It ain't Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge that I'm suggesting.

In any case it's probably not going to happen so there's no reason for anyone to get hyper over it.
You lost about 95% of this board when you dropped Middleton for Hodge.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No Gorton said he was disappointed there's a big difference. I remember what he said very vividly and if it's "disappointment" I can think of like 7 players he's talking about including Pavel and a laundry list of players and it's not for MAILING IT IN but perhaps their game wasn't sharp (Buch def had a reason for it.) Let's chill with the MAILING IT IN narrative.

That’s fine. I wasn’t making a direct quote. Gorton was disappointed and had reason to be. Anyway I think we’re both hoping that Buch has a much better year next season no matter who our new coach happens to be. Buch needs to get better for sure too. Let his play on the ice do his talking for him.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Pavel Buchnevich on his season, ice time and more

The line combinations at the end of the season seemed to be created in a "random way," like shuffling a deck of cards.

He "did not feel anything" when Alain Vigneault was let go and he learned about it from "the news."

On his season, Buchnevich said that everything depends on his confidence and that it's easier to play when he doesn't have to fear that one mistake will cause a decrease in ice time. He said that he could play a few good games in a row, struggle in one and then find himself on the fourth line with minimal ice time.

I’ve been saying this for a long time and I’m glad that’s the case and I like that he owns up to it. Every player develops differently and Buch with confidence vs without is really noticeable. Hopefully the new coach gives him consistent minutes and has patience with him

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
That’s fine. I wasn’t making a direct quote. Gorton was disappointed and had reason to be. Anyway I think we’re both hoping that Buch has a much better year next season no matter who our new coach happens to be. Buch needs to get better for sure too. Let his play on the ice do his talking for him.
Personally, I think he had a great season barring the craziness and injuries, does he have another level to his game? Absolutely.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So one thing not mentioned in the summary was that he did admit something that people talk about but not everyone would admit. At least if I understood what he said correctly. He basically said that being out of the playoffs by as much as they were and playing teams fighting for the playoffs made getting ready for (getting up for?) games hard. Not something you want to hear but I guess it's human nature.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This got me sad.

Interviewer: After those words [that they will rebuild because they're not winning a cup] you don't have try too hard?

Pavel: It was something else. There was some time before the (trade) deadline and everyone was worried. Will they trade or keep me? It was tough to think about hockey. Wake up and check the news, did they trade me, did they keep me?

:(

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This got me sad.

Interviewer: After those words [that they will rebuild because they're not winning a cup] you don't have try too hard?

Pavel: It was something else. There was some time before the (trade) deadline and everyone was worried. Will they trade or keep me? It was tough to think about hockey. Wake up and check the news, did they trade me, did they keep me?

:(
It's a very real scenario for players on pretty much every non-playoff team going into the TDL. Futures are uncertain. Especially after Gorton/Sather released that letter and mentioned that fan favorites would go.

It's tough.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This interview is gold. Why don't we get this level of detail from North American interviewers and players?

Interviewer: I would think that your agents can inform you whether there are trade rumors or not.

Pavel: What about the agents? Tell me how they traded JT Miller, there were no rumors about him. We're flying to Vancouver, we have WIFI, the entire team is following the trades. Possibly only Miller isn't watching. And then there's the news...JT is traded.

Interviewer: Right in the plane?

Pavel: Yep. We fly to Vancouver and they don't let him get on the team bus to get to the hotel. We had to go to the hotel by himself in a taxi and take a returning route.

Interviewer: That's great (sarcastically)

Pavel: So if there were no rumors about me, that doesn't mean anything. When everything finished we exhaled. We ended up winning 4 straight games after the deadline.

This is gold Jerry gold!

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's a very real scenario for players on pretty much every non-playoff team going into the TDL. Futures are uncertain. Especially after Gorton/Sather released that letter and mentioned that fan favorites would go.

It's tough.

I would think to a smaller extent it would be the same with contenders if they want to buy too. Though usually those are for futures.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I would think to a smaller extent it would be the same with contenders if they want to buy too. Though usually those are for futures.
Indeed.

Pretty much goes to show you that unless you're a franchise player, you basically gotta live with the fact that it's likely you'll be traded at some point.

And then for franchise players, you don't really need to worry about that unless Chiarelli is your GM.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->