Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Had a good game yesterday. That line had a few good chances. Lindberg almost put one in from Buch, but a Caps player seemed to put him off balance and caused him to whiff.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Both of these points are very, very fair.

Our ideologies are different. I trust the chart more than what I saw because I know that I can't remember all 100+ shot attempts that happen every night. I trust myself to remember the important ones, but I fear that leads me to a path of analysis where I only remember what sticks out in my mind rather than the game as a whole.

Let's bridge the gap together if we can.

I really dont want to get into this because I am trying (kinda) to get my work done, but...

Sabremetrics work much better imo for baseball. The game is just so much more straightforward than hockey, at least i think so. I think hockey has so many more dynamics and moving parts that happen during a shift on the ice. Yes players have labeled positions but they end up all over the ice required to do so many different actions while at a much quicker pace and less time for thinking or planning. I just dont think the charts can be 100% accurate or even 80% accurate to what a player truly is or provides.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the data. I saw a tweet a few days ago that highlighted an Erik Karlsson shot. Where he shot the puck from and where the shot location was recorded from were about 30 feet apart. Now when looking at larger sample sizes that should even out, but heat maps from a game can vary significantly for shot to shot.

Stats and the models derived from them, are only as good as the data that is used, if that data is suspect, doesn't that render the conclusion suspect as well?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Had a good game yesterday. That line had a few good chances. Lindberg almost put one in from Buch, but a Caps player seemed to put him off balance and caused him to whiff.

Agreed. Thought he responded extremely well to the benching.

If I'm Gorts, this whole situation resolves itself at the deadline with one of Nash/Zucc traded for futures/defense help. Buch slides up and you still have forward depth in Puempel and Pirri.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not to impose, but I believe this is a poor representation of BRB's argument. I think he came to believe his three points on his own accord, and is using Buch's benching as evidence supporting his conclusions. It isn't like AV benched Buch and BRB invented these flaws to justify it because he presumes AV's infallibility. I see these flaws in Buch's game too. It looks like many do. It isn't fair to just call it a narrative.

On the topic of Buch, I'm fine with him watching a couple from the press box. Some of our young players have benefitted from a bit of tough love from AV.

You've defended me better than I could defend myself. Seems like its taboo to try and argue the nuances of a very nuanced game these days. If you can't spout off a metric or put up a chart, your opinion is automatically cast aside. What a limited way to think.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You've defended me better than I could defend myself. Seems like its taboo to try and argue the nuances of a very nuanced game these days. If you can't spout off a metric or put up a chart, your opinion is automatically cast aside. What a limited way to think.

I had no issue with your argument. I had issue that the only evidence that your argument was right was because Buchnevich was scratched.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Believe Butch is going through the same overthinking process that Kreider went through. Yeah, he's not too strong on boards so he's trying very diligently to at least be in the right position defensively using his stick to break opponents' plays. But it hurts him on the offense (in addition to almost nonexistent chemistry/ understanding of what Lindbergh and Fast want to do). He literally would spend shifts without touching a puck once. He also cuts his own icetime per shift, afraid to be gassed toward the end.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Just wait on the russian community to grow on the Rangers and they all will be just fine in a couple of years when Zborovskiy and Shestyorkin are around.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
had a stellar game in the whale comes right back and has a good game here. he should stay in the top 6 for a few games so we can see what he really has to offer

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think this thread needs a bump. I thought he played one of his better games last night. Would have had a gorgeous assist if Nash weren't an idiot.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think this thread needs a bump. I thought he played one of his better games last night. Would have had a gorgeous assist if Nash weren't an idiot.

What did Nash even see there? Literally gaping cage with Price on the other side of the net. He cut back towards the center as if Price had the net covered. All he had to do was let it slide off his stick into the net. :cry:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd really love for him to get a consistent run in the top 9. Not just 10 games here or there before AV needs to change things up after a loss and he's down to the 4th. Who am I kidding though? Why would you put a skill-based rookie with grinders in the first place? It should never happen. It makes no sense. There is no reason to ever put Buchnevich or Vesey on the fourth line. There's either a place for them in the top 9 or not a place for them on the team. Grabner should've always been on the fourth line, no matter how many goals he was scoring. Not everything is about regular season results for a team that is going to easily make the playoffs. Sometimes you have to think about development.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
PB, you know he's gonna get shipped out for not performing on Glass's wing :laugh:

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

Yeah that was tough to watch. There were a handful of great plays from him that should have resulted in some points. Love that he's got some confidence going though.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Getting demoted could have hurt his confidence but his one game in Hartford really seems to have helped his confidence.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
screw his confindence, he isnt that good right now. He needs to more ice time in the minors. I really dont hone in on a player too much and watch them during games, but for some reason i seem to always find him on the ice and the one thing i noticed, he is a , horrible, HORRIBLE passer. Boy o' boy does he makes some poor poor choices with the puck on his stick. Its almost like clock work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad