Injury Report: Pavel Buchnevich: Concussion

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Contrary evidence: I told my wife, "no I wouldn't do the dishes" and the woman upped and elbowed me in the nose.

Knee in the crutch for me.

Thank you guys for keeping it light. In the last few days or a week the NYRHF went down a few notches. Interesting discussions getting derailed into crap.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
IMO Zuccarello is our only really legit 1st liner. The likes of Zibanejad, Kreider and Buchnevich might do okay on a 1st line but none of them as yet has produced more than mid 50's point production. Most teams--the good ones anyway will have one, two, three guys in the 60, 70, 80 range by the end of this year. Just saying. You can call them 1st liners but then they're low scoring ones. Top line talent is an issue for us. We're fine on 2nd line talent.

Kreider brings useful elements to the their line besides scoring goals as a 1st liner. Otherwise he’s 3rd on KZB depth wise. To me its pretty apparent that Zibanejad would be able to score high 60s points this season if not for injuries especially concussion type. Buchnevich should have been around 50 (also if AV ice time allocation would be more sensible). If the Rangers had depth elsewhere then I’d have absolutely no problem with them being default 1st line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The players aren’t being blamed. Fans who view these guys as first line players are being blamed. Like it or not durability means something as far as what type of player you are. Our guys are good second liners. Just like Stephan and zbrassard are good second line centers. Kreider could be a first line player but he’s too inconsistent. Facts. Not fancy stats. Watch the games

But from a statistical standpoint, they are first line players, so unless you know better than everyone else, they are first liners.

Of course durability means something, but it needs to be put in context. Kreider's durability issues have almost always been essentially meaningless games. I'm pretty sure he's never missed a playoff game. The last 5 or so seasons, we could make the playoffs with half a team, we were that good. The durability issues you are trying to claim for Zibanejad and Buchnevich the last two seasons haven't effected the team either. We made the playoffs easily last season with their injuries. This season, I don't think we are a playoff team, whether they get injured or not. You can claim durability issues, but if you put it in context, they play the important games, and when they are fit, they are first line players.

Kreider is not inconsistent. This is such a myth. He's as consistent in his play as just about any player who is around his level of hockey player. Some expect him to be superman because he's strong and fast, but that ignores his hockey skill-set. He's not Mario Lemieux, he doesn't have that talent. He has a lot of talent, but the difference between Kreider scoring 60 per 82 games and 100 per 82 games is not inconsistency, its talent he doesn't have. Stepan and Brassard are not on this team anymore, there's no need to compare them to Zibanejad. Your last point makes no sense. You are giving an opinion, not facts. We are talking about basic stats, not fancy stats. I watch the games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you want to anoint Pavel as a legit 1st liner before he puts up the raw and actual numbers to justify it--that's up to you. I don't really care that much. Saying there's not enough of a sample size doesn't do it for me. That's a judgement you're making. I want the raw and actual goals and assists and I'm not going to regard any Rangers forward as a legit 1st liner until they do put up those kind of raw and actual stats.

I will say though if Buch is our actual leader and is 58th in the league it's just another sign of how weak we are as far as top line talent. That would mean that most teams would have at least two forwards better than anyone we have. Buch is still a developing player in my eyes. I expect---hope he will get better. I think he has the talent to be similar to Pastrnak but he's still in the process of getting there. It probably will mean he is going to have to become the leader and driver of his line for that to happen. All in all he's taken a step forward this year but he'll need to get stronger again in the off season. Strength on the puck is one of his issues.

To add--somewhere standards have to be set. When you tell me our top line forwards aren't high end (but nonetheless their first liners anyway--so there!) then don't be surprised at the seasons conclusion that we end up with mediocre or even worse results. The only way a team can be successful otherwise is they win a lot of low scoring games--which means they're going to need outstanding goaltending for one thing. Lundqvist has been giving us that this year but IMO he's going to have to ratchet the old save% up drastically to say .950 for us to get in.

I'm not arguing with your last point. I've long said thats this team's biggest problem. I think our lack of elite forwards is why we didn't win the Stanley Cup during the five or so year window when we were a really good team. But I don't think that means we should disparage our best forwards because the current GM and previous one couldn't acquire those players. Thats their fault, its roster construction, not execution from the players, unless we want to discuss Nash's play when he was a semi-elite winger, and he struggled in the playoffs.

I understand your point about wanting the finished G, A, point numbers, but if we only judge on the raw numbers, you'll get somewhat flawed numbers because not every situation is the same. Some players play a lot more than others, some play much better situations than others, some play with much better line mates than others, some play on much better teams than others. There should probably be some type of balance there between what you use to make judgements. If you want to say only a certain amount of forwards are first liners, instead of 93 forwards, thats your call, but lets be consistent then. Is it the subjective group that the media's talking points consider first liners or is there some measure the players have to reach to be considered a first liner?

I don't think anyone would say 10 games into McDavid's career that they needed to see him play a full season before he was considered a first line player. And I'm not comparing him to Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, but its kind of the same point. When these guys play, they produce as first liners. Whether they rack up the raw numbers that we want, who cares that much? Isn't the goal to have the team win games and win the Stanley Cup? The numbers of all our players don't mean that much towards the big picture this season since we likely aren't making the playoffs, and the numbers in a season when we make the playoffs by 10 points don't either. What matters is their play in the big games, and in my opinion, on average they produce as first line forwards, so when the games actually get important, we can expect those three to produce as first line forwards. Teams build for the playoffs. They gotta get in, and we probably won't this season, but contending teams are constructed for the postseason.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it over yet? This season.

They will start to go on a winning streak of like 6 games or so and get everyone's hopes up then nothing happens. I think this may be it. But still a lot of games left. So don't even know what to think.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kreider brings useful elements to the their line besides scoring goals as a 1st liner. Otherwise he’s 3rd on KZB depth wise. To me its pretty apparent that Zibanejad would be able to score high 60s points this season if not for injuries especially concussion type. Buchnevich should have been around 50 (also if AV ice time allocation would be more sensible). If the Rangers had depth elsewhere then I’d have absolutely no problem with them being default 1st line.

Buchnevich was on pace for over 50, even with AV's nonsensical TOI distribution, so with normal TOI distribution, we are probably talking over 60.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Too bad even Messier took hard as hell hits and was injured. Mike Modano wasn't tuff enuff I guess? He had a real ass-y career didn't he? He should've tuffed his way off the stretcher and the paramedics wouldn't have dropped it. overrated scrub.

I was on a treatment table once. The girl who was seeing to me was trying to adjust the table and fiddling around with the middle of the metal sections below it. Next thing I know, the bed collapses, legs everywhere and I'm going flying. Thought I had just been Modano'd. Can imagine that wasn't plesant for Mike.

Last edited:
Reactions: shinchanyo

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
NHL tuffness fact 1: tuffness and shattering Wayne Gretzky's orbital socket with his stick cured Mario's cancer.

But he only got it bc he wasn't tuff
You’re actually a sick human being if you bring cancer into this equation. Cancer is not an injury you get from hockey it’s an illness. To even imply that my comments about Buch not being tough enough therefore getting knocked all over and injured is the same thing as cancer makes anything you post going forward trash. You’ve just rendered yourself useless on these boards

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
But from a statistical standpoint, they are first line players, so unless you know better than everyone else, they are first liners.

Of course durability means something, but it needs to be put in context. Kreider's durability issues have almost always been essentially meaningless games. I'm pretty sure he's never missed a playoff game. The last 5 or so seasons, we could make the playoffs with half a team, we were that good. The durability issues you are trying to claim for Zibanejad and Buchnevich the last two seasons haven't effected the team either. We made the playoffs easily last season with their injuries. This season, I don't think we are a playoff team, whether they get injured or not. You can claim durability issues, but if you put it in context, they play the important games, and when they are fit, they are first line players.

Kreider is not inconsistent. This is such a myth. He's as consistent in his play as just about any player who is around his level of hockey player. Some expect him to be superman because he's strong and fast, but that ignores his hockey skill-set. He's not Mario Lemieux, he doesn't have that talent. He has a lot of talent, but the difference between Kreider scoring 60 per 82 games and 100 per 82 games is not inconsistency, its talent he doesn't have. Stepan and Brassard are not on this team anymore, there's no need to compare them to Zibanejad. Your last point makes no sense. You are giving an opinion, not facts. We are talking about basic stats, not fancy stats. I watch the games.
Kreider IS inconsistent.. in 7 playoff games vs Ottawa last year he showed up for 1 period and dominated. Zibby legitemetly is no different than a player who is a scratch most games, and yes Brassard and Stephan who were both centers here before Zibby was are relevant to discuss because they were comparables. Not to mention they were better. Buch has talent but gets knocked around like a rag doll. He skates around with this doofus oblivious look on his face and he gets laid out once or twice a game. IMO not first liners. If you believe otherwise and have stats to show it congrats

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You’re actually a sick human being if you bring cancer into this equation. Cancer is not an injury you get from hockey it’s an illness. To even imply that my comments about Buch not being tough enough therefore getting knocked all over and injured is the same thing as cancer makes anything you post going forward trash. You’ve just rendered yourself useless on these boards

Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not. Either way I'm mocking the absurdity of your opinion no matter how badly you want to detract from it by trying to talk about how sick i am as if no one else on Earth participates in morbid or off color humor.

Have you had some kind of secret meeting to decide I'm off the island?I get the feeling you're the LAST person to represent what everyone on this board thinks. Just to be clear, I say that because nearly everything you've said has been universally mocked and derided.

Waitaminute....Ooooohh I get it. I got to you by mocking you so you're just lashing out! Sucks to be you.

I think it's obvious you're using drummed up outrage as a shield but just in case you honestly believe your morality nonsense go watch "the tragicomedy" on the youtube channel 'Now you see it'.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Buchnevich is at 14:50 TOI--which is 7th among the forwards. He usually plays with the best forwards. He's had a fairly long spell with Zibanejad--the Rangers best offensive center. Buch gets his fair share of power play time. He almost never kills penalties. It's all 5v5 5v4 for him. He's lapsed for stretches--well so has Zibanejad, Miller, Kreider, Nash etc.--even Zucc. He's stronger than last year but not physically strong enough IMO. He's headier defensively than some others--Kreider for instance, Vesey. Still not a guy I'd want out on the penalty kill yet. Sometimes those extra TOI minutes that forwards get are from defensive situations--penalty kill, final minutes protecting leads kind of stuff--not really in some player's ballparks.

IMO the Rangers have handled Buchnevich TOI just fine. They tend to put him into situations and with players that will compliment his creative abilities. IMO it's partly his still developing and partly a lack of top end talent to compliment him with that is part of the problem but IMO Pavel wasn't getting to 60 points this year even without the injury. 45-50 maybe. I'll say again though I don't think Zibanejad is a real deal 1st line center. His high is 51 points. 2nd line is where he should be.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not. Either way I'm mocking the absurdity of your opinion no matter how badly you want to detract from it by trying to talk about how sick i am as if no one else on Earth participates in morbid or off color humor.

Have you had some kind of secret meeting to decide I'm off the island?I get the feeling you're the LAST person to represent what everyone on this board thinks. Just to be clear, I say that because nearly everything you've said has been universally mocked and derided.

Waitaminute....Ooooohh I get it. I got to you by mocking you so you're just lashing out! Sucks to be you.

I think it's obvious you're using drummed up outrage as a shield but just in case you honestly believe your morality nonsense go watch "the tragicomedy" on the youtube channel 'Now you see it'.

Dude you are actually way off the reservation. And no I don’t know of anyone who jokes around about someone getting cancer. As far as my opinions being “universally mocked” I DARE YOU to Argue these stats 138/381 vs 93/3517. That would be likes to total posts mine vs yours. Whose opinions seem more universally liked. Do the math genius.:sarcasm:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Dude you are actually way off the reservation. And no I don’t know of anyone who jokes around about someone getting cancer. As far as my opinions being “universally mocked” I DARE YOU to Argue these stats 138/381 vs 93/3517. That would be likes to total posts mine vs yours. Whose opinions seem more universally liked. Do the math genius.:sarcasm:
This has been explained to you. Most of shinchanyo's posts happened before the like system was introduced. 138 likes on 381 posts is a shockingly low total. Nearly two thirds of your posts don't generate enough of a positive reaction to motivate someone to click a button.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Who cares about likes or dislikes anyhow? That's like grade school:

Teacher: Great job Johnie you get a gold star for your hat.

Johnie: Thank you teacher that makes 15 gold stars this month, too bad Tommy only has 3.
When someone calls you out for being universally mocked or disliked, yet you actually are 12 times more liked statistically then them it’s pretty relevant. Yourself, Machinehead and the poster I quoted make a habit of singling me out. It’s interesting actually. I’m totally good with it so keep it coming. But when I counter with indisputable facts and numbers (ironic) it’s hard to argue

By the way your occupation on your avatar says it all!

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
But when I counter with indisputable facts and numbers (ironic) it’s hard to argue
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
When someone calls you out for being universally mocked or disliked, yet you actually are 12 times more liked statistically then them it’s pretty relevant. Yourself, Machinehead and the poster I quoted make a habit of singling me out. It’s interesting actually. I’m totally good with it so keep it coming. But when I counter with indisputable facts and numbers (ironic) it’s hard to argue

By the way your occupation on your avatar says it all!

There's a line from one of my favorite shows, Justified, I hope you can see the paralells. I am altering it so you don't think I am flaming you:

If you run into a knucklehead in the morning, you ran into a knucklehead.
If you run into knuckleheads all day long, chances are you're the knucklehead.

Edit: BTW this is an internet sports forum, if you think I take stuff seriously here, I have a bridge to sell you. Why on God's green earth would anyone take my posts seriously? I put that occupation so when I am sarcastic, which is 98% of the time people will stop and realize it because I don't use smilies, they're like gold stars and are for 3 year old's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->