pavel brendl

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i dont know if he qualifies as a prospect anymore, but anyways. he is tearing up the SEL these days. 47gp. 33 goals. 20 assists. 53 points.

the question is. can he make it at the nhl level. and do you think he will be back next season??

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
i dont know if he qualifies as a prospect anymore, but anyways. he is tearing up the SEL these days. 47gp. 33 goals. 20 assists. 53 points.

the question is. can he make it at the nhl level. and do you think he will be back next season??

he has been given many chances to prove that he can stick around in the NHL and has failed each time. I think he is better off in Europe. I used to be a Brendl homer, i started paying attention to him atr first just cuz i liked his name.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
That was the year of the bust.

Stefan isn't as good as was thought he was going to be. Connolly had a good year last year, but isn't playing this year. Sedin's are good only because they have been playing together all their lives.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

He has the talent to play in the NHL, just not the drive. People were worried about it when he was drafted but I guess they figured his skill would make up for it, it didn't, and I can't imagine it ever will.

He's probably happier tearing it up over there anyway.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
That was the year of the bust.

Stefan isn't as good as was thought he was going to be. Connolly had a good year last year, but isn't playing this year. Sedin's are good only because they have been playing together all their lives.

On the plus side, Martin Havlat did come out of that year's draft.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
On the plus side, Martin Havlat did come out of that year's draft.

there was a feaw others aswell, but most of them came in later rounds.

david tanabe - #16
barret jackman - #17
nick boynton - #21
alexander auld - #40
mike commodore - #42
jordan leopold - #44
niklas hagman - #70
frantisek kaberle - #76
nicklas havelid - #83
mike comrie - #91
ryan malone - #115
ryan miller - #138
martin erat - #191
henrik zetterberg - #210
radim vrbata - #212
radek martinek - #228

overall this draft is pretty bad. at least the first round. it kind of makes me sick. havlat, zetterberg and miller is clearly the best players. becides the guys on this list there are a feaw other decent nhl players, but very feaw from the first round.

brian finley- the first goaltender picked in the draft at #6 overall. that pretty high for a goalie. does anyone know any projections on him before and a couple of years after the draft and how much was he hyped. and what the hell happened to him???

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
brian finley- the first goaltender picked in the draft at #6 overall. that pretty high for a goalie. does anyone know any projections on him before and a couple of years after the draft and how much was he hyped. and what the hell happened to him???

Well I assume his hype was a franchise goalie if they were willing to take him at #6. But knee injuries are what happened to him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For some reason, I still have faith that Brendl will eventually score in the NHL. There's still too much talent there, and he's obviously put it together this year more than at any other point since his WHL days. No-one is even close to him in the goal-scoring race in the SEL right now.

He'll get another NHL contract this summer, and it will be very interesting to see how he does. Sometimes these lazy, inconsistent guys 'find it' at a more advanced age - see Robert Lang, who was considered a waste of talent until almost age 30.

emmjayb

Jan 4, 2004
For some reason, I still have faith that Brendl will eventually score in the NHL. There's still too much talent there, and he's obviously put it together this year more than at any other point since his WHL days. No-one is even close to him in the goal-scoring race in the SEL right now.

He'll get another NHL contract this summer, and it will be very interesting to see how he does. Sometimes these lazy, inconsistent guys 'find it' at a more advanced age - see Robert Lang, who was considered a waste of talent until almost age 30.

From Calgary and was contstantly amazed at how Pavel could dominate (and I mean DOMINATE) a WHL game. Except he seemed pretty lazy and slow... but he still DOMINATED. Game sense, passing, shooting... all so much better than anyone elese. I actually thought he would make the NHL and be a frustrating, but effective, essentially PP guy... now I'm not so sure. I think, if he gave it a go, he would be very much like the rejuvinated and ridiculously talented Kristian Huselius that we are very much enjoying in Cowtown this year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Well I assume his hype was a franchise goalie if they were willing to take him at #6. But knee injuries are what happened to him.

It was actually a groin injury that caused him to miss an entire year. His fundamentals and talent are unquestionable. He has\had the SKILL to be a star in the NHL. Unfortunately, he lacked the mental makeup. Zero confidence, gets extremely rattled by anything that gets passed him. He has the groin and mental fortitude of another much-scorned, high-promise\low-result Predator goalie..Mike Dunham. They even look alike. I see Dunham's career as the most Finley can ever accomplish...if that.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
You really that ignorant?

It really is a question as to how those two would have done had they been separated.

As far as Brendl goes, in his entire time with the Hitmen, I dont think he once met his goaltenders - on or off the ice. He only had half a game, and while that was good enough to succeed in the WHL, but definitely not in the NHL.

Whingman

Nov 1, 2005
It really is a question as to how those two would have done had they been separated.

They would have managed just fine...Me and my brother have played street hockey since we were kids but you don't see us playing in the NHL, so obviously we can establish right off the get that how good the Sedins are is not solely dependant on them playing together as some might have us to believe. We can also look at the fact the Sedins have an ability to elevate the game of people who play around them, bad players or players who are not good have enough trouble elavating their own game, let alone their linemates. Obviously it can't just be due to chemistry.... They took Jason King from an AHL player to a top NHL rookie. They turned wade brookbank into a sniper for a game, they got alfredson most of his points in the ten games he played with them, Carter put up a career high in goals playing with the sedins after comming off the worst year of his career, Carter has subsequently bounced back down to what 10 goals in 50 games? Taylor Pyatt has been having a career year playing on and off with the sedin's. Needless to say that takes good players, who have more going for them than just their own chemistry between the two of them.

I might also add that we see chemistry around the league, their are players who play well with each other, better with each other, but they still bring a great skill set to the table.

I realise there are people out there who just plain don't like the sedins but that is no excuse to reduce the ability of these players solely to the fact they have been playing with each other for a long time.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'm pretty sure I read on one of the hockey sites that Phoenix qualified him with a contract offer to retain his rights (along with Sheldon Keefe). I hope they did even though I dont think he'll be back next year.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
The Sedin's production is higher because they play together. Hence, unless there is a major breakup, they will ALWAYS PLAY TOGETHER! Those two playing together adds 10-15 pts a year to each one.

puck_08

Jul 21, 2005
Calgary
Whoever said the Sedins are a bust is a joke.
I hate the Canucks, but I would take either Sedin in a redo of that draft right after Zetterburg and maybe Havlat.
The Sedin's are good because they are good players, not because they "play together all their lives". Thats just icing on the cake for them.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Whoever said the Sedins are a bust is a joke.
I suppose I should have separated Sedins and bust. Sedins are definitely not. Look at their production this year.

But, I do believe that they would not have been as good in the early stages of their career if they had been separated. I have thought this since the day I saw them drafted.

Then again, I thought Brendl wasn't going to be a bust, and he was going to produce at least 60+ points a year.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
But, I do believe that they would not have been as good in the early stages of their career if they had been separated. I have thought this since the day I saw them drafted.

I can agree with this. However, I believe that they would succeed at a similar, if slightly lowered, level if they were separated now.

Whingman

Nov 1, 2005
The Sedin's production is higher because they play together. Hence, unless there is a major breakup, they will ALWAYS PLAY TOGETHER! Those two playing together adds 10-15 pts a year to each one.

You said the Sedin's were only good because they played together, not that they were better because they played together, two entirely different things.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
You said the Sedin's were only good because they played together, not that they were better because they played together, two entirely different things.
By good I meant elite, like they are. They would be solid scoring line players if they were separated.

Jeez.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
At Brendl's age he would be considered a mid career professional with his formative prospect years considered a wash out. Given his track record, he would be offered a mininimal one way contract and no team would sign him with the idea of sending him down to the AHL farm team. Most likely a team might want him for his offensive upside at a very low contract price and that is all. Undoubtedly he would be put on a very short leash by coaches and management. Brendl pretty much ran out of second chances at an NHL career a while back. He isn't in any position to demand very much if he wants to play at the NHL level, if he even is given that opportunity again.
At this point no NHL team really cares how well he did as 17 year old rookie in the WHL or whether or not he considered a hot prospect a decade ago. They already know that and he managed to play his way off several NHL teams already during a fairly disappointing pro career. A team might be willing to offer him a league minimum one year contract with a produce or else ultimatum and by produce they would be looking for 15-20 goals with restricted ice time. His future GM and coach might be looking at a 100% turn around in his attitude and work ethic before sticking a contract under his nose.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Anyone know who is setting him up? Could the 33 goals be the result of a great Euro-style playmaker?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Anyone know who is setting him up? Could the 33 goals be the result of a great Euro-style playmaker?

No, not really. His team Mora dont have any one of those but they have several competent players and the deal is to always get the puck to Pavel and he will score a goal.

He is the kind of player you envy the other team for having but really dont wanna see in your own team. If that makes sense. He have great offensive skills but just dont care to do anything else. They let him play his game in Mora, he is the star and he seem to enjoy life at the club. Cant see him making the same in the NHL, maybe if he would sign for a team that really didnt care about reaching the PO´s and just wanted some one to score goals while they are rebuilding or something. Dont know if he would be up for it even then doh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->