Pavel Brendl: The Ridiculous Story ("Hot dogs and wieners is the best food for me.")

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by JA, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Franck

Franck eltiT resU motsuC

Bank robber
    What makes the Brendl story great for me is that I could totally see my teenaged self act much the same if I was in the same situation. :laugh:

Didn't Kabanov have a serious wrist injury to start off his draft year? Someone would probably have risked a 1st on him if he had played a full season, in spite of the known character issues.

2. shinchanyo

shinchanyo Registered User

Normandy
  3. Blade Paradigm

Blade Paradigm Registered User

A little bit more about Brendl.

In light of the Sedins' retirement this week and the celebrations, it's worth noting that if the Rangers had picked first overall, they would have selected Brendl ahead of everybody else.

HOCKEY; Rangers Pay A Price To Draft Czech Wing
    ''If we were picking first, we were picking Brendl. We had him No. 1. He should be a franchise N.H.L. player.'' - Neil Smith, June 1999

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  4. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

I think it was well known among NHL execs that he had a pretty serious drinking problem.

5. Blade Paradigm

Kabanov, that is.

6. Blade Paradigm

7. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

Yeah, Kabanov. I remember Gare Joyce was a poster around here back then, and he wouldn't go into absolute detail but he was saying how almost all teams refused to draft him.

8. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

9. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Can I be brutally honest and say that I personally was skeptical about Brendl? I don't know, I am not a pro scout or anything but I always get a little skeptical about players that come out of nowhere to be a potential #1 pick. David Legwand was someone else I was critical of too. Not that he didn't have a respectable career. But if people remember correctly, in 1998 there was some serious questions on whether he should be taken above Lecavalier. I had seen enough of Lecavalier and since Legwand played in the OHL I saw him too. I didn't see it. I couldn't understand why it was even a debate. Lecavalier was better already by then and had WAY more upside.

While Legwand played in over 1,000 NHL games and was good enough to stick around and be serviceable he was still never a star. Lecavalier was. I wouldn't put him in the HHOF, but his name will get dropped on here once in a while. So Brendl gave me that same sort of impression. I had heard plenty about the Sedin twins, and Patrick Stefan prior to 1999, but not Brendl. I just thought of him as more of a flash in the pan. I guess I never "saw it" when he played. Usually a player sticks out when you watch him, but for him he never did. I did a thread about the biggest cherrypickers of all-time and that is what I always gathered with him, and what I read about him as well even in junior. There are some players that have great instincts and can cherrypick when the time is right (Gretzky, Lemieux, etc.) but that is because of their hockey sense and anticipation. With Brendl he just appeared to be the guy that hung around high waiting for a pass.

Granted no one is always right. I thought Stefan would be a Larionov-like player.

mrhockey193195 likes this.
  10. Smirnov2Chistov

Smirnov2Chistov donaldtrump4prez

I wish there was something like this in regarding Patrik Stefan. I know the history of his concussions ruined his career before it started in the NHL, but was he really *THAT* regarded in the draft? I know it was a weak draft to begin with (even the Sedins weren’t touted like that)

11. Sticks and Pucks

Sticks and Pucks Registered User

Not that Ryan Johansen or Mark Scheifele were touted to be number one picks, but those are two examples of players who came out of nowhere in their draft year and turned out pretty good careers.