Pavel Brendl or Jamie Lundmark ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningFast

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Which of these former New York Rangers first rounders would you rather have . Brendl who was drafted higher, has since been dealt to Philadelphia and than to Carolina .

While Jamie Lundmark is probably going to be wearing a new jersey very soon..

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
LightningFast said:
Which of these former New York Rangers first rounders would you rather have . Brendl who was drafted higher, has since been dealt to Philadelphia and than to Carolina .

While Jamie Lundmark is probably going to be wearing a new jersey very soon..
Lundmark no question. at least he tries

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This could be the homer in me, but i'm taking Pavel Brendl. Both have underachieved in their short careers, but Brendl has more natural talent and seems to actually be coming into his own as a professional.

He was getting a point-per-game at Lowell of the AHL and has 1G 3A in 4 games with Carolina this season and has actually been forechecking and backchecking and doing all the things he's supposed to be doing to be an effective scorer. I know it's going to take quite a bit for him to shake the public opinion of him being apathetic and lazy, but if he continues to play this way i'm going to say that he has regained his form and could possibly approach the pre-1999 potential he has.

However, it is just 4 games and after the newness of the NHL wears off again there is no telling which Pavel we're going to see. I just hope this new one i'm seeing is here for good.

Skroob*

I'll be a homer, too, and say Lundmark. AFAIK, other teams (PHI and CAR) have not treaded Brendl as poorly as Lundmark has been treated in NY. The fact that Lundmark has been, even if only slightly, more successful at the NHL level than Brendl,(the success) is that much more amplified when considering where he plays.

Death to Sather.

#37-#93-#27*

Wow insanity!

Brendl is one of the least impressive prospects I've ever seen. Highly touted lazy nothing. He was as bad as Malakhov. At least with Lundmark he has an NHL career ahead of him. Brendl is a complete bust.

As for Lundmark, it's unbelievable how much he gets toyed with by this organization. The only time he's ever been given a shot was last year after he was called up which he scored 7 goals in 13 games. Maybe he won't be a top 2 line player but he sure as hell will be a NHLer. Right now he's good enough to be a third liner with very good PK abilities.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
#37-#93-#27 said:
Wow insanity!

Brendl is one of the least impressive prospects I've ever seen. Highly touted lazy nothing. He was as bad as Malakhov. At least with Lundmark he has an NHL career ahead of him. Brendl is a complete bust.

As for Lundmark, it's unbelievable how much he gets toyed with by this organization. The only time he's ever been given a shot was last year after he was called up which he scored 7 goals in 13 games. Maybe he won't be a top 2 line player but he sure as hell will be a NHLer. Right now he's good enough to be a third liner with very good PK abilities.

Glad to see your so quick to label a 22 year old kid a bust. Talk about insanity.

Brendl.

#37-#93-#27*

stardog said:
Glad to see your so quick to label a 22 year old kid a bust. Talk about insanity.

Brendl.
What has he done in the 4 years since being drafted, better yet what has he done in the last year after not being able to stay on an NHL team?

You say that as if that's a positive, he'll be 23 in a couple months. 23 years old and still not on a regular. Next year he'll be 24, when will you break that denial?

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
#37-#93-#27 said:
What has he done in the 4 years since being drafted, better yet what has he done in the last year after not being able to stay on an NHL team?

You say that as if that's a positive, he'll be 23 in a couple months. 23 years old and still not on a regular. Next year he'll be 24, when will you break that denial?

The kid is in his second FULL pro season and finally getting consistent ice time.
He has 22 points in 68 NHL games, including 4 in his 5 games this season. Lundmark has 34 points in 101 games. Those are comparable.
Lundmark is the more complete player but there is no denying Brendl's offensive upside. I just think it is completely silly to label him a bust especially given his great seaon in the AHL and hot start in the NHL on an offensivley challenged Carolina team.
I'll call him a bust if he fails to be a regular by the end of next season perhaps. And he has been jerked around just as much, if not more than Lundmark.
He still has plenty of time to develop, and while it is subjective as to who people prefer, I think it is foolish to call a 22 year old, 99 4th overall draft pick a "complete bust".

#37-#93-#27*

There are two big differences between the two. One Lundmark is an NHLer, and two his upside maybe scoring but his downside is a third liner/good pker which he's already at. Brendl's upside is obvious, his downside is bust, no middle ground. Ever since being drafted he's had regressed each year.

btw this is his third year of pro hockey.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
#37-#93-#27 said:
There are two big differences between the two. One Lundmark is an NHLer, and two his upside maybe scoring but his downside is a third liner/good pker which he's already at. Brendl's upside is obvious, his downside is bust, no middle ground. Ever since being drafted he's had regressed each year.

btw this is his third year of pro hockey.

Yes it is. But only his second full year as i stated. He was jerked around during his second year and missed a buttload of games.
I'll also agree about your upside/downside theory as well, but I think Brendl will achieve that. This is all preference and I just happen to prefer Brendl. I have no problem at all with Lundmark, I just think, as I stated that I feel we should give Brendl more time before labling him a complete bust.

#37-#93-#27*

stardog said:
Yes it is. But only his second full year as i stated. He was jerked around during his second year and missed a buttload of games.
I'll also agree about your upside/downside theory as well, but I think Brendl will achieve that. This is all preference and I just happen to prefer Brendl. I have no problem at all with Lundmark, I just think, as I stated that I feel we should give Brendl more time before labling him a complete bust.
Why do you give him a pass for being jerked around? That directly affects his development. Manny Malhotra case in point.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
#37-#93-#27 said:
Why do you give him a pass for being jerked around? That directly affects his development. Manny Malhotra case in point.

How am I giving him a pass? I am merely mentioning it the same way you mentioned Lundmark being screwed around. Since we are discussing those two players I think it is relevant.
You can't mention it for Lundmark and then not accept the same for Brendl.
The two instances are the same and if one merits mention then the other does as well.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Sorry to all the Brendl band wagoners but I believe Lundmark is the better player now and will be the better player later. To even make the Rangers as a guy under 23 is an accomplishment. I swear the Rangers organization is guilty of age discrimination.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
#37-#93-#27 said:
There are two big differences between the two. One Lundmark is an NHLer.

So Brendl isn't an NHLer? Last time I checked, Carolina was still in the league. They may not play like it but they really are.

I just can't see how you can dismiss Brendl so quickly without giving us one real ounce of evidence as to why he's been a bad player so far. Have you seen him in any of the 4 or 5 games he's played this season or even watched him in the AHL? You dismissing him as lazy is like not giving him a chance at all to prove that he has changed his ways. If you've seen him this season and still consider him lazy, then you've got a valid opinion on the matter. If you haven't, then you might want to check into a Hurricanes game sometime in the near future.

He was also named to the AHL all-star team this year. ;)

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
So Brendl isn't an NHLer? Last time I checked, Carolina was still in the league. They may not play like it but they really are.

I just can't see how you can dismiss Brendl so quickly without giving us one real ounce of evidence as to why he's been a bad player so far. Have you seen him in any of the 4 or 5 games he's played this season or even watched him in the AHL? You dismissing him as lazy is like not giving him a chance at all to prove that he has changed his ways. If you've seen him this season and still consider him lazy, then you've got a valid opinion on the matter. If you haven't, then you might want to check into a Hurricanes game sometime in the near future.

He was also named to the AHL all-star team this year. ;)

What I don't get is how people can take a 5 game streak and try and turn it into an NHL career. Have you seen how Brendl played in the other 58 games in the NHL, or how he performed in the AHL before this season? I'm not really disregarding him because I think a kid at the age of 22 isn't really ready to be labeled a bust. However, to take these 5 games and then say "well, I'd take Brendl over Lundmark because he's put up close to a point per game in 5 games and that's great" is silly. Brendl has played his entire career before this year like a disinterested sally. 33 games at a point per game clip in the minors and a 5 game hot streak in the bigs doesn't change that. Give me two years of performance like that and I'll say, yeah this kid is going to pan out. I just think he'll slip at some point or another, get sent to the minors again, become disgruntled and end up doing the same thing he did with Philadelphia. JMHO.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
What I don't get is how people can take a 5 game streak and try and turn it into an NHL career. Have you seen how Brendl played in the other 58 games in the NHL, or how he performed in the AHL before this season? I'm not really disregarding him because I think a kid at the age of 22 isn't really ready to be labeled a bust. However, to take these 5 games and then say "well, I'd take Brendl over Lundmark because he's put up close to a point per game in 5 games and that's great" is silly. Brendl has played his entire career before this year like a disinterested sally. 33 games at a point per game clip in the minors and a 5 game hot streak in the bigs doesn't change that. Give me two years of performance like that and I'll say, yeah this kid is going to pan out. I just think he'll slip at some point or another, get sent to the minors again, become disgruntled and end up doing the same thing he did with Philadelphia. JMHO.

While I understand what you're saying, I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. I was simply commenting on the fact that people have put the label of apathetic or "disinterested sally" on Brendl and once people gather an opinion about a player they are usually very reluctant to move that label. I'm not saying that Brendl will continue to play with this level of urgency for the rest of his career by no means. I'm simply stating that Brendl has played with a level of intensity that befits a player of his natural ability. To simply rely upon his past temperment would be a mistake in my opinion. There is a such thing as players being humbled by the minor league experience and realizing that there is better to be had for them if they would apply themselves. While this situation is rare, it does happen.

I just know that looking back on myself at the age of 18, I had quite the attitude as well that came from not having experienced too much of the real world and the way things actually work and i'm not even a hockey prodigy. He was probably sheltered quite a bit from the hazards that can befall a young man of his considerable wealth. I know now that even at the age of 20, how the world works a little bit better and I still have a lot to learn myself. I don't doubt that at age 22, Pavel Brendl has had some of the same realizations himself. People can change. Especially the transition from a teenager to a man and the responsability that comes along with that.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
While I understand what you're saying, I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. I was simply commenting on the fact that people have put the label of apathetic or "disinterested sally" on Brendl and once people gather an opinion about a player they are usually very reluctant to move that label. I'm not saying that Brendl will continue to play with this level of urgency for the rest of his career by no means. I'm simply stating that Brendl has played with a level of intensity that befits a player of his natural ability. To simply rely upon his past temperment would be a mistake in my opinion. There is a such thing as players being humbled by the minor league experience and realizing that there is better to be had for them if they would apply themselves. While this situation is rare, it does happen.

I just know that looking back on myself at the age of 18, I had quite the attitude as well that came from not having experienced too much of the real world and the way things actually work and i'm not even a hockey prodigy. He was probably sheltered quite a bit from the hazards that can befall a young man of his considerable wealth. I know now that even at the age of 20, how the world works a little bit better and I still have a lot to learn myself. I don't doubt that at age 22, Pavel Brendl has had some of the same realizations himself. People can change. Especially the transition from a teenager to a man and the responsability that comes along with that.

Glad you liked my "disinterested sally" remark, it's definitely a fair label for the first few years of his pro career. Sure people can change, or they can fake it for a bit like Daigle. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->