Paul Reinhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
What are your memories of Paul Reinhart? He was a bit before my time and I only really call watching him via recordings of the '86 finals. He has pretty gaudy offensive totals for a defenseman, even by the standards of the era... and they didn't get any less gaudy during the playoffs. He had health issues and was STILL putting up nearly a point per game near the end of his career. How defensively responsible was he?

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
revolverjgw said:
What are your memories of Paul Reinhart? He was a bit before my time and I only really call watching him via recordings of the '86 finals. He has pretty gaudy offensive totals for a defenseman, even by the standards of the era... and they didn't get any less gaudy during the playoffs. He had health issues and was STILL putting up nearly a point per game near the end of his career. How defensively responsible was he?

did somebody just watch the 86 playoffs st.louis vs. calgary on NHL network?

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Paul Reinhart had great offensive skills despite his chronic back problems. So much offensive skill in fact, he played forward at times.

As a Bruin fan, he in someways reminded me of Ray Bourque in his quarterbacking capabilities. He also resembled Bourque with his stocky physique, strong skating and very hard shot.

He obviously didnt possess the physical or defensive game that Bourque owned, nor the overall prowess, but offensively, Reinhart was top notch.

Any team that could trot out Reinhart, Kent Nilsson, Hakan Loob, etc on the powerplay was highly skilled and dangerous.

Ogopogo*

Reinhart was a very good offensive defenseman. Injuries hampered his career but, I remember fluid skating and a good shot.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
brianscot said:
Actually Reinhart, Nilsson, and Loob were all present from 83-85, although his ever present injuries limited Reinhart to just 27 games in 83-84
He was a fantastic offensive defenceman, one of the best in the league at his peak. If not for the perpetual back injuries that eventually ended his career, there's no telling what he could have done. At one point early in the 1989-90 season (his last) he was tied for the league scoring lead. The addition of Reinhart and Linden and the emergence of Kirk McLean were the big reasons for the Canucks moderate success in 1988-89.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
revolverjgw said:
I thought he had as much talent as Al MacInnis when they played together in Calgary. The injuries destroyed what, IMO, probably should have been a HOF career. He was an incredible talent.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Reinhart was a forward until shortly before he joined the Flames. His defense needed a lot of attention in the beginning, but I certainly don't recall him as a liability defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad