Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That's right....all of these things did happen.....and you don't think any other coach could have done that with our roster? I sure do.
What difference does it make then? So another coach could have done the same thing. Why not Maurice then?

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
So since the arrival of Kompon and Woodcroft, how much credit should be given to them for changing the JETS systems?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
There isn't a tonne that separates a lot of coaches in this league. The major thing is having the respect of your players. Mo has it. No need to change him at this point.
Agreed, rhetorical question ;).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People who want Maurice out should just accept that he is not going anywhere anytime soon, it will make it easier for them to enjoy the Jets with that expectation set appropriately.

Jets were one of the best teams this year in the underlying stats and in the win loss record. They were elite in the Corsi and the Scorsi ;). Some might say it's because of all that talent he had at his disposal, sure, but there are many coaches in the league who would get in the way of that talent and not get the results with it that Maurice got. I have my nitpicks with some of his decisions (mainly his love for Matt Hendricks) but overall I think he did a great job and earned the right to get a few kicks at the can with this group. I look forward to seeing where he can take this group.

It would be pretty hard for PM to **** it up badly enough to get fired in under 3 years going from this season. Barring Chevy screwing up the roster and then firing Maurice because he doesn't want to fire himself, we can count on Maurice being the Jets coach for the foreseeable future. All of it.

Just being realistic. Maurice has cemented his position here. Some of us think he is a mediocre coach. I don't think anyone thinks he is a terrible coach. He would need to be terrible to get fired.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It would be pretty hard for PM to **** it up badly enough to get fired in under 3 years going from this season. Barring Chevy screwing up the roster and then firing Maurice because he doesn't want to fire himself, we can count on Maurice being the Jets coach for the foreseeable future. All of it.

Just being realistic. Maurice has cemented his position here. Some of us think he is a mediocre coach. I don't think anyone thinks he is a terrible coach. He would need to be terrible to get fired.
I think you are pretty close on this time line. Maurice has now been coach of the Jets for 4+ seasons, and after the wildly successful season we just had has cemented his future with the team. Going from 87 points to 114, from well out of the playoffs to 2nd overall and getting to the Conference finals for a franchise that had never even won a single playoff game is a huge accomplishment. Expectations will be high next season but Maurice is going into it as safe as any coach in the league.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Great to know, never realised that about records.

Well, since he coached us to the 2nd best record in the NHL, coached us to a conference finals, eliminated the number 1 team in the league, had us top 5 for power play and PK play, tops in the league defensively and offensively, looks like we got ourselves a really good coach.

And since my examples of winning are from this past season, unlike your archaic examples from decades ago, it easily trumps your evidence, like taking candy from a baby easily trumps you.

And that is just facts, Maurice is a really good coach. Sorry, season records from 1995 are irrelevant artifacts, but have fun with them
I actually agree with you.:huh::sarcasm:
I wasn’t enamoured with the extension before the season began but he’s earned another season and likely 2 seasons.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
PoMo's here for a while. Great season, strong communicator and good with youth and vets alike, has shown some ability to adjust to a skilled, high-tempo team, Chevy pal and Murat sparring partner.

I wonder if Hendricks stays on in a coaching capacity. Respected in the room and community and doubtful he signs another NHL contract as a player. Think of the motivational power, and the glue he'd be able to spread.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Probably accurate - quote: His ability to communicate with management and players alike has always been listed as a strong suit of his and is likely what got him an extension in Winnipeg even without any real success to be seen.

Paul Maurice: Good Coach? Bad Coach?

Might have been a different outcome had we moved Paul out back then.

Good Coach, Bad Fit

But since we re-upped him early he will be with us for a few more years. Here's wishing him the best.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Mo and the Jets coaching staff's inability to adjust to the Knights style of play was problematic, stubbornly the Jets stuck to what wasn't working and we all know the end result!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Probably accurate - quote: His ability to communicate with management and players alike has always been listed as a strong suit of his and is likely what got him an extension in Winnipeg even without any real success to be seen.

Good Coach, Bad Fit

But since we re-upped him early he will be with us for a few more years. Here's wishing him the best.

This is the best you got?

Lol, you used the word accurate with a JetsNation article, that is very funny. Better yet, your undeniable proof of Maurice not being a good coach is an article written over 2 years ago, and another written last October.

Even funnier is one article is written by Jets Nation, as a singular opinion piece by someone that is easily trumped in knowledge by half the posters on this forum.

Their proof of Maurice's incompetence is a regurgitation of his coaching record, that takes data starting back in 1995. Since we know this data to be completely obsolete, as we are 23 years removed from it, the only thing it tells us is you got nothing, you are running on empty.

So what else are these in depth articles using as their proof of his poor coaching, well there is this gem:

The Jets clearly have some dynamic, talented players on the roster and yet Maurice continues to verbally state that players like Adam Lowry and Matt Hendricks and how they play on the third and fourth lines will be key for a successful Jets season.

I feel moronic for actual reading this dribble. Your top checking line, the one that takes on other team's best, will have a huge effect on your success, in any season. To state this as a negative tells me the author of this article is a moron, like utterly not a bright hockey mind. Your checking line frees up you scoring lines, so the effect a good 3rd or 4rth line can have on the success of your team is massive.

Further to that, seeing as we just completed our best season ever, 2nd best season in the league, a conference finals appearance, the best coached seasons from several of our young players, well we can adamantly state Maurice coached the hell out of this team and achieved its best success ever.

Since your articles were written on typewriter they are so old, neither account for the past seasons success, cause it hadn't happened yet.

Your 2016 articles are meaningless to that factual information. Maurice just took your 2 obsolete articles and used them as TP after a huge movement, cause that is all they are worth today.

Good try though, you actual had to dig hard to find those two gems, lol.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Mo and the Jets coaching staff's inability to adjust to the Knights style of play was problematic, stubbornly the Jets stuck to what wasn't working and we all know the end result!
Yep, +.950 goaltending by the other guy.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Good Coach, Bad Fit

Boy, those are some really bad articles. Neither of them really say anything, no analysis, nothing. Amazing how people can only reference his past record with different teams to bolster their argument, yet when he finally has a great season, the talented roster trope comes out and is held against his success. I particularly like the remark about Lowry as a knock against Maurice, funny stuff.

Might have been a different outcome without him, and might not have been. Pretty easy to state either way.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Boy, those are some really bad articles. Neither of them really say anything, no analysis, nothing. Amazing how people can only reference his past record with different teams to bolster their argument, yet when he finally has a great season, the talented roster trope comes out and is held against his success. I particularly like the remark about Lowry as a knock against Maurice, funny stuff.

Might have been a different outcome without him, and might not have been. Pretty easy to state either way.

Both articles were written awhile back, one in 2016 the other last year prior to the start of the season. Both poorly written, insight lacking, opinionated pieces that use Maurice's history starting back with the Whalers, a juggernaut team back then, as their main source of proof.

Both articles also refer to our 2015 playoff appearance, followed by us missing the playoffs the following year, as Maurice failing the team. Obviously, to someone that has zero knowledge of the team back then, and the phase we were in for rebuilding, this might have validity to it. But for those that followed the team, we all understood we would be taking a step back the next season, but expected to take some major steps forward after that.

We did, and we will continue to move forward with Maurice leading the way.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The type and shot location the Jets generated against the Knights in the series and Pavelec would have had .950 sv.% had he been the Knights netminder in the series!
If only this were factual.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The type and shot location the Jets generated against the Knights in the series and Pavelec would have had .950 sv.% had he been the Knights netminder in the series!

Fluery also posted a .977 in the Kings series, and a .936 in the Sharks series.

Should we assume these are inflated numbers related to poor shot locations, or can we assume Fleury is playing at an elite level, and has allowed the Knights to pretty much sleep walk through the hard western conference, into the finals?

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
The coach is responsible for:

- Roster decisions
- Line decisions
- Ice time decisions
- Offensive and defensive strategies
- Making strategic adjustments to the opposition
- Ensuring players stay focused and motivated

I think over the years Maurice has made a lot of mistakes with each of these coaching responsibilities. The current roster is so good that he was almost able to get away with it this year. If if wasnt for Fleury and "bad luck", Jets probably win that series 8 times out of 10. Should have just had Copp run Fleury - Vegas backup is brutal.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
1) Why play Byfuglien 28 minutes/game when it was obviously wearing him down, leading to more mistakes, less dynamic plays and less physicality?

2) Why play Enström when it was obvious that he was injured and ineffective?

3) Why did the team come out playing flat in an elimination game?

4) Why play Kulikov in Game 5 when he had not played in weeks?

5) Why keep doing the same thing when the team isn't scoring?

6) Why not use the Jets size advantage against Vegas' smaller forwards?

7) Why not use speed + passing to counteract Vegas forecheck?

8) Why not use speed (Ehlers, Connor, Byfuglien, Myers, Roslovic) with following options more often for zone entries?

9) Why not play Niku instead of Enström? (Because doing so may be seen as an insult to a veteran?)

10) Why not play Lemieux instead of Copp?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maurice likes to say how it takes a couple of years to ingrain a system into a team. Given that Vegas's system looked completely ingrained from day one, looks like Gallant must have been educating his players-to-be a couple of years before the expansion draft, including while he was coaching for Florida.

Or he just waited until he had the players in camp last October and taught them properly. Evidently it takes Maurice two or three years to do it, but Gallant only two or three weeks.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maurice likes to say how it takes a couple of years to ingrain a system into a team. Given that Vegas's system looked completely ingrained from day one, looks like Gallant must have been educating his players-to-be a couple of years before the expansion draft, including while he was coaching for Florida.

Or he just waited until he had the players in camp last October and taught them properly. Evidently it takes Maurice two or three years to do it, but Gallant only two or three weeks.
Gallant is a great coach. That doesn't make Mo a bad coach. What other coaches could do what Gallant did?
The Ugly Truth. If Mo coached Copp to run the other team's goalie than I don't want the Jets to win if you have to resort to such dirty tactics. Hockey is a beautiful game why ruin it to win a cup.
I feel like I am feeding the trolls here.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Gallant is a great coach. That doesn't make Mo a bad coach. What other coaches could do what Gallant did?
The Ugly Truth. If Mo coached Copp to run the other team's goalie than I don't want the Jets to win if you have to resort to such dirty tactics. Hockey is a beautiful game why ruin it to win a cup.
I feel like I am feeding the trolls here.

Personally, I don't think any of that was worth reading.

Where did Copp come from? :laugh:

If you are so afraid of people disagreeing with you that you call them trolls, you might want to try living in a soundproof box.

Reactions: The Ugly Truth

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Personally, I don't think any of that was worth reading.

Where did Copp come from? :laugh:

If you are so afraid of people disagreeing with you that you call them trolls, you might want to try living in a soundproof box.
The copp stuff came from me also responding to the post by the ugly truth.
Also, you said Gallant is a great coach. I agreed, but, just because Gallant is a bad coach doesn't mean Mo is a bad coach.
Your on here because you are a Jets fan yet you kept pointing out to everyone how good Las Vegas was and seem more like a Vegas fan than a Jets fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad