News Article: Paul Martin - "Thank You, Pittsburgh" (Players Tribune)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
How many "average" defenseman can play 25 minutes of mistake free hockey while being a well above average puck mover?

How many times did he play mistake free 25 minutes?? And when I pay someone 5+mill per, I don't want them to be mistake free, I would prefer they be impactful.

Paul Stanton was a very comparable player to Martin and I never saw him get a salary that was over 60% in value to Mario's.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I never liked his signing, Shero wasted valuable cap space on a very average defenseman. I'm glad this nightmare is finally over with.

We just lost part of the American Dream....

Good luck, PM.

pghkev should be stricken from the record.

Poor..... form,Poor form.

Really, speaking the truth is somehow considered wrong? Martin was among the first in long line of bad decisions by Ray Shero. I thought we should have traded him for the last 3 years. We would have shed cap and maybe got something that could actually help this team win. Instead, we kept the family together and we made the playoffs by one game last year.

Good riddance.

Your original post wasn't a joke? Then, it is wrong and also tone deaf.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
This story made my day, I keep laugh when I imagine Scuderi yelling "Spumoni! Spumoni!" :laugh:
I never thought that professional athletes can be funny in the middle of the game.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
This story made my day, I keep laugh when I imagine Scuderi yelling "Spumoni! Spumoni!" :laugh:
I never thought that professional athletes can be funny in the middle of the game.

If they can trash talk why couldn't they have fun too? Mario often had fun with his pals, mostly on the bench though.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
How many times did he play mistake free 25 minutes?? And when I pay someone 5+mill per, I don't want them to be mistake free, I would prefer they be impactful.

Paul Stanton was a very comparable player to Martin and I never saw him get a salary that was over 60% in value to Mario's.

Playing mistake free hockey for 25 minutes a game is impactful.

I guess you are talking about a different kind of impactful. Like when Gonchar would score PP goals and then get walked by players like Prust in important playoff games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Paul was never mistake free, but he was a solid top 4 defender that tried to fill the role that Letang left vacant when he was injured, but for the most part, he was a rock solid defender with his shadowing of opponents and being in the right spot with his hockey IQ.

That article made me feel sad, Paul was more than a class act. I have a ton of respect for him and now I am sad to see him move on. Best of luck to him in San Jose, well not too much luck.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Paul was never mistake free, but he was a solid top 4 defender that tried to fill the role that Letang left vacant when he was injured, but for the most part, he was a rock solid defender with his shadowing of opponents and being in the right spot with his hockey IQ.

That article made me feel sad, Paul was more than a class act. I have a ton of respect for him and now I am sad to see him move on. Best of luck to him in San Jose, well not too much luck.

Depends on what you mean by mistake free. No d-man is mistake free. Even Lidstrom made mistakes.

Martin moved the puck without a lot of mistakes.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Very nice article. He was one of the most consistent players of the past 4-5 years for the team, and he did well in his role. He always struck me as a humble guy, and that jersey story is an excellent example of that. Hope he does well in SJ.

That website is awesome. I love the perspective some players give, the good and the bad, its interesting to see into their worlds like that. If no one has read it yet the Gomez, Klune, and Avery articles are all good as well.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is as close to a Canadian city you can get when it comes to hockey? Lol

Good luck to Paul, he was a solid guy and everything, but wwoooooooweee you can tell this organization went overboard with having a players coach and gm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad