Waived: Paul Martin- Sharks

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wouldn't expect the Sharks to retain 50% on Martin in a deal. It could happen but I don't expect it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
ah, the injury bug hitting him hard i see.

His ankle got messed up at the end of last season from what I can remember. They did a procedure on it during the off-season that wasn't revealed until he was out after the first few games of this season with something related to it. He's been rehabbing it since with one game back where he looked awful and a conditioning stint that hasn't gone well enough to warrant a return to the lineup even when they were benching Ryan for DeMelo on his off-side. It's not looking good for his NHL career at this point but ankles are a funny thing. They can take time to heal or never get right at all so who knows.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
His ankle got messed up at the end of last season from what I can remember. They did a procedure on it during the off-season that wasn't revealed until he was out after the first few games of this season with something related to it. He's been rehabbing it since with one game back where he looked awful and a conditioning stint that hasn't gone well enough to warrant a return to the lineup even when they were benching Ryan for DeMelo on his off-side. It's not looking good for his NHL career at this point but ankles are a funny thing. They can take time to heal or never get right at all so who knows.
sad, martin was a very solid player in the past

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
sad, martin was a very solid player in the past

Definitely. At the very least, he let Burns move all over the ice and be an effective player without really any of the negatives. Ryan's done okay at that but Burns I think has been a little more conservative when paired with him so Burns needs to get more comfortable playing with Ryan and do his thing.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
he looked really REALLY bad in his AHL conditioning stint. He's better off retiring.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He's 36. A rebuilding team could bring him in to tutor their younger defensemen, but the days of him a Top 4 guy might be over.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
he looked really REALLY bad in his AHL conditioning stint. He's better off retiring.
Thats very sad if he has to go that route, even though he was one of the isles fiercest rivals for many a year, you ultimately had to respect him..

a payer like that deserves to go out on his own terms

I never thought id say this, but heres one Isles fan who is sorry to see you go

Id hire him tomorrow to be a defensive bench coach

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hope leafs claim Martin and waive polak

why do that when he likely clears then, if we want we can make a deal for him and have SJ retain some salary instead of taking on the full cap hit.

If we claim him we have to take on the full cap hit, it makes no sense to claim him

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
and throw away 4.8 million next year? ya that will happen, and pigs will fly and aliens will land on the earth and ducks will become our masters

He’ll retire when Horton and MacArthur retire. When his contract is up. Why walk away from that money? Makes no sense.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can't see anybody claiming him but I can see him clearing waivers and a trade being worked out like what happened with Pickard in fact I could see him ending up in Toronto if SJ were to retain Salary, with maybe Polak or Marincin being part of the deal

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Has he been injured or scratched?

At this point, who knows? But if he weren’t healthy he would not have been waived. I think it’s somewhat shocking that the Sharks waived him without even giving him one game in a Sharks’ uni for before making a decision, but I guess they didn’t like what they saw in his AHL conditioning stint. Either way the Sharks have too many good defensemen to keep Martin on the roster at that cap hit and Martin wants to play hockey. I bet he would be thrilled to be claimed by Buffalo at this point.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
which was my point, except he won't clear and then be traded, like Pickard was

Chances are he will clear and then be traded like Pickard was but it probably won't be with the same turnaround time. Pickard was traded almost immediately after he cleared if I remember right. Martin will probably clear, be assigned to the AHL, and then traded after he gets time down there and hopefully picks up his game.

Has he been injured or scratched?

Most of it was injured. If reports are accurate, he's been scratched since around Christmas.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->