Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He doesn't make me very excited per say, but I do like the fact that he doesn't seem to compromise when it comes to the Draft and having prospects. All GM's in the NHL will say like, "yeah, the Draft is very important for xyz reasons, blah blah", but only a handful of GM's in the NHL don't compromise when it comes to drafting and keeping things stocked. I feel Fenton will.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sorry, but he put me to sleep. Did he say anything of interest?
He really likes the situation he's walking into, sees this team as a tweak here and there from getting to the top, as we all mostly believe. Sounded like all the interviews Craig did basically backed that up as a league wide perception of our squad.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Sorry, but he put me to sleep. Did he say anything of interest?

He pounded a bottle of Patron, smashed it over his own head and instructed one reporter to choke him with his tie while challenging the others to come claim his teeth of truth with their "knuckles wrapped round Gary's lie". Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He pounded a bottle of Patron, smashed it over his own head and instructed one reporter to choke him with his tie while challenging the others to come claim his teeth of truth with their "knuckles wrapped round Gary's lie". Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

same ol' predictable stuff, then...

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
It doesn't get me overly excited either, but at least the organization is making some move I suppose. I think almost all of the fans are a little bit tired of the way things are going. He doesn't seem like the most excitable person, but perhaps that is a good thing for a General Manager? I think we are in good hands with Allstate on this one, and I will wait for Fenton to prove me wrong.

I just wish we were on our way to the Cup Final instead of Vegas. :( Next year can't get here soon enough.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He didn't really say anything of substance and rather than mentioning any details talked mostly in general hockey cliches, but at least he seemed pretty comfortable in the spotlight, was able to form proper sentences and not embarrass himself which, believe it or not, is not a given in the inbred NHL GM community.

Whether he is actually a smart hockey mind, a good businessman and a good leader, that is still a complete question mark.

One thing that made me facepalm is how Fenton pretty much dodged the Vegas question and him and Leipoild laughed about how Seattle for sure won't be getting the same expansion rules as Vegas did, even though it's already been confirmed that they will. Didn't come across very smart there.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
One thing that made me facepalm is how Fenton pretty much dodged the Vegas question and him and Leipoild laughed about how Seattle for sure won't be getting the same expansion rules as Vegas did, even though it's already been confirmed that they will. Didn't come across very smart there.
That had me grinding my teeth as well. I'm choosing to let it pass as a hollow reassurance to fans (read: STH's), but having the guy that cashed the expansion check insist that he "won't let that happen again" is pretty absurd.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Why bother to hire a new GM if all you want to do is "tweaks" on a team that is said to be "a very good team"?

Meddling Leopold will leave him alone for one year, then start dropping suggestions to Fenton ... just like he did with Fletch.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Why bother to hire a new GM if all you want to do is "tweaks" on a team that is said to be "a very good team"?

Meddling Leopold will leave him alone for one year, then start dropping suggestions to Fenton ... just like he did with Fletch.
I 2nd this !!
It might not take 1 yr thou

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Meh, I wouldn't go that far in saying he's one of the best owners in sports. Plenty of meddling owners spend to the cap. The issue I have with Leipold is that he doesn't want any significant changes; just a few tweaks. Therefore, he hired a GM that aligned with his position. An owner, who is one of the best, would keep his viewpoints away and not let it influence his decision on who to hire. I feel that there were better candidates available.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah I admit that part may have been a bit of hyperbole...but I think compared to a lot of situations he does a really good job at trying to do whatever he can to try and get this team to win. He's better than most.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Meh, I wouldn't go that far in saying he's one of the best owners in sports. Plenty of meddling owners spend to the cap. The issue I have with Leipold is that he doesn't want any significant changes; just a few tweaks. Therefore, he hired a GM that aligned with his position. An owner, who is one of the best, would keep his viewpoints away and not let it influence his decision on who to hire. I feel that there were better candidates available.
I don't think the "tweaks" comments preclude a big change. I still think the commentary from Leipold thus far has been about reassuring STH's that the GM change doesn't signal a rebuild.

I'm not sure how an owner could hire a GM without taking his own views into account, at least in terms of overall vision for the team. I'm absolutely in favor of the GM having a high degree of autonomy, but I don't know that I could expect an owner to just write the checks and not provide any other input. Team ownership isn't philanthropy.

Reactions: 2Pair and TaLoN

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Somehow flipping this onto one of the best owners in sports who always spends to the cap and wants nothing more than to win sure is something.
Always need something to complain about. I was always confused why some people hate Wild fans. I definitely understand why now.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Listening to the new Russo-Souhan Show Podcast #148. Longer podcast than usual but has some interesting tidbits. A lot of crap we all probably knew about and it was hard to decipher russo's rants from stuff he actually has information on.

03:45 - Fenton was the front runner the entire way but Fitzgerald did a good job of making it tough on Leipold. Came down to experience.
04:40 - Russo expects Fenton to make a splash before the draft
05:05 - Souhan questions the hiring process not having a hockey guy in the interviews
08:25 - Russo believes Fenton is going to make bold big moves. The process Fenton is going to make is the process that "has got to be done." Tinkering won't work. Will have to make big moves. Craig doesn't want him to make big moves only for prospects or picks. If you're gonna trade Dumba make sure you get back quality player(s) back that can help the team right away.
09:15 - Russo thinks Dumba may be traded
10:15 - Wild don't have a lot of picks/prospects they can trade, but they have players: Dumba, Coyle, Nino, Brodin - those type of guys on their way out.
10:45 - Fenton wants to make his mark and Russo believes it is going to be a significant move
12:10 - Souhan pointing out that Koivu, Suter, Parise were at the press conference but nobody else was (alluding to them trying to win favor with Fenton)
13:25 - Koivu is an issue with this team and if Bruce "had his way" Koivu would be the teams 3rd line center.
14:15 - Bruce wants Coyle at 2C permanently instead of constantly moving him up and down the lineup
15:00 - Lots of interest around the league in Eric Staal
15:55 - Bruce is very frustrated with the lack of right-handed shots on the team (mainly forwards)
17:00 - Leipold and Fenton have had quite a few meetings since being hired, less "get to know you" and more "move and shake" type meetings.
20:00 - Bruce and Fenton had a come to Jesus meeting where they both put on the table how they value each player on the roster
20:50 - Russo believes Zucker is staying because of his speed
21:10 - Dumba will only be moved if they can get incredible value back AND they can get a RHD free-agent d-man to replace him (Carlson) or a Justin Faulk type.
29:20 - Internal rumors that Dean Lombardi may be hired as President of Hockey Operations (Russo would be shocked if that happened based on information he's received)
33:20 - Carolina is a rumored trade partner since they seem to want to make a splash and big changes
33:50 - Doesn't believe there will be moves until after scouting meetings
36:05 - Sounds like Coyle hid his wrist injuries from the medical staff
39:35 - Russo believes the core has grown tired of each other and believes sometimes it gets overblown, but he thinks the players are too busy pointing fingers instead of looking in the mirror
42:15 - Suter has yet to be able to put any weight on his injured leg.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Listening to the new Russo-Souhan Show Podcast #148. Longer podcast than usual but has some interesting tidbits. A lot of crap we all probably knew about and it was hard to decipher russo's rants from stuff he actually has information on.

03:45 - Fenton was the front runner the entire way but Fitzgerald did a good job of making it tough on Leipold. Came down to experience.
05:05 - Souhan questions the hiring process not having a hockey guy in the interviews
08:25 - Russo believes Fenton is going to make bold big moves. The process Fenton is going to make is the process that "has got to be done." Tinkering won't work. Will have to make big moves. Craig doesn't want him to make big moves only for prospects or picks. If you're gonna trade Dumba make sure you get back quality player(s) back that can help the team right away.
10:15 - Wild don't have a lot of picks/prospects they can trade, but they have players: Dumba, Coyle, Nino, Brodin - those type of guys on their way out.
10:45 - Fenton wants to make his mark and Russo believes it is going to be a significant move
12:10 - Souhan pointing out that Koivu, Suter, Parise were at the press conference but nobody else was (alluding to them trying to win favor with Fenton)
13:25 - Koivu is an issue with this team and if Bruce "had his way" Koivu would be the teams 3rd line center.
14:15 - Bruce wants Coyle at 2C permanently instead of constantly moving him up and down the lineup
15:55 - Bruce is very frustrated with the lack of right-handed shots on the team (mainly forwards)
17:00 - Leipold and Fenton have had quite a few meetings since being hired, less "get to know you" and more "move and shake" type meetings.
20:00 - Bruce and Fenton had a come to Jesus meeting where they both put on the table how they value each player on the roster
21:10 - Dumba will only be moved if they can get incredible value back AND they can get a RHD free-agent d-man to replace him (Carlson) or a Justin Faulk type.
29:20 - Internal rumors that Dean Lombardi may be hired as President of Hockey Operations (Russo would be shocked if that happened based on information he's received)
33:20 - Carolina is a rumored trade partner since they seem to want to make a splash and big changes
39:35 - Russo believes the core has grown tired of each other and believes sometimes it gets overblown, but he thinks the players are too busy pointing fingers instead of looking in the mirror
I have a hard time envisioning a realistic Dumba trade that doesn't leave me disappointed, but I guess we'll see.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

This is where russo analysis bad and he becomes a hypocrite. He complains about the Wild building through draft being old and not free agency. Then He suggests trading Dumba and signing Carlson which makes the Wild Older and getting rid of someone who the Wild drafted.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
This is where russo analysis bad and he becomes a hypocrite. He complains about the Wild building through draft being old and not free agency. Then He suggests trading Dumba and signing Carlson which makes the Wild Older and getting rid of someone who the Wild drafted.
Is that his analysis or what he's hearing? Is it his idea to trade Dumba or speculating on what someone else said? There's a difference. I didn't listen yet.

@ Minnesnota - Thanks for the notes by the way, interesting stuff.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Is that his analysis or what he's hearing? Is it his idea to trade Dumba or speculating on what someone else said? There's a difference. I didn't listen yet.

@ Minnesnota - Thanks for the notes by the way, interesting stuff.
Sounds like him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad