Player Discussion Paul Coffey: The Keurig Thread

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
My initial thoughts on it all were that it was a bad looking move to have the Owners guy behind the bench, even if it is Paul Coffey. He's taken a lot of shit over the years for being OBC by the majority, but thus far looks to be doing some great things with the teams defense.

As per usual I think I have to wait for the season to play out before having a real opinion, but signs are looking good so far so I'll take crow if it's being served.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Seems Coffey is having a positive impact, but it's hard to ignore how much of an impact KK overall has had. Without the system structure that has been applied to the team, the mitigation of the mistakes, and the application of player roles - the defensemen would likely look just as exposed and unsupported as they were under Woodcroft.

You can definitely see the defensemen are playing a more simple, patient game, which for certain players who lean towards over aggressiveness(Nurse, Ceci, Bouchard etc) has elevated their games immensely. If that's all Coffey manages to impart to these defensemen this year, he will have more than earned his paycheck.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Knob is like the bizarro Eakins.

Humble, often appearing timid. A coach who only had moderate success in the AHL and whose system works better in the NHL with better players instead of the other way around.
I don't see it quite that way.

Eakins was this anomaly in that everyone around hockey said he oozed leadership and confidence, yet he was this weird and awkward talker. Like it seemed like he was a really good interview but when you heard him speak you couldn't quite figure out how.

With Knoblauch I get the sense he's also a bit awkward, but I love it because it must mean whatever he does is in the room must work since he's not a smooth talker (which Eakins tried to be).

Not sure I'm making sense. 😄

And to add to the topic my heart really sank when I saw Coffey was gonna be a coach because I just thought it was another Oiler clown move, but so far it looks like a great move.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't see it quite that way.

Eakins was this anomaly in that everyone around hockey said he oozed leadership and confidence, yet he was this weird and awkward talker. Like it seemed like he was a really good interview but when you heard him speak you couldn't quite figure out how.

With Knoblauch I get the sense he's also a bit awkward, but I love it because it must mean whatever he does is in the room must work since he's not a smooth talker (which Eakins tried to be).

Not sure I'm making sense. 😄

And to add to the topic my heart really sank when I saw Coffey was gonna be a coach because I just thought it was another Oiler clown move, but so far it looks like a great move.
I evaluate partly on content spoken. Eakins and Woodcroft are the noise. They hit bottom floor as far as specifics, concrete definable and clear statements. Often with this type a volume of nebulous noise is stated. Gobbledegook. Its near political with the type in managing to say nothing.

KK, others mentioned Muckler, these are king of content speakers. They will clearly lay out what they think and explain sensibly and go into detail. Clear that the type believe in identifying problems, solutions, strengths. These are straight shooters that have the vision, understanding, and experience to explain what they see competently. You can't deep fake content. You either know what you are talking about or not, and when going into specifics you define your expertise. Whereas producing noise is easily faked.

Any presser the distinctions are clear.

The latter give better feedback to players, teams, fans, press etc. In doing so they are prepared to take chances to go into specifics for greater gain of individual players as well as team.

I just realized I'm super daft because I kept wondering why people made Keurig references but I mean of course.... :D
I figured it out despite HATING keurig and anything pod coffee oriented. blech!

Its a bane in current life to be somewhere and they ask if you want coffee, Yes!, followed by what flavor of pod? So awkward. The answer I want to utter is NONE, can't you make friggen coffee! ;)

But then I'll pick the least offensive pod and try to appear to drink it thinking that no, I don't want any, would have been the better answer. Water please!

Keurig is an insult to Coffee and Coffey. We need to be better! ;)

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Knob is like the bizarro Eakins.

Humble, often appearing timid. A coach who only had moderate success in the AHL and whose system works better in the NHL with better players instead of the other way around.
1702586429574.png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My initial thoughts on it all were that it was a bad looking move to have the Owners guy behind the bench, even if it is Paul Coffey. He's taken a lot of shit over the years for being OBC by the majority, but thus far looks to be doing some great things with the teams defense.

As per usual I think I have to wait for the season to play out before having a real opinion, but signs are looking good so far so I'll take crow if it's being served.
Yup.
That was my main issue with the move as well. The optics around having Katz's personal aid on the bench were absolutely terrible. Especially when you factor in Coffeys almost complete and total lack of professional coaching experience.
Being that Coffey had very limited experience as a coach at the pro level (not my opinion...its a fact) it wasn't at all unreasonable to question the move on that basis as well.

It seems to have worked out quite well and in addition to being a new voice just having a voice may have been important as well. I mean clear communication may well be a large part of why.
I cant remember who posted about this but the fact that Manson had a voice issue may have actually been a very real problem in terms of communicating with the players.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille