Player Discussion Paul Byron

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Just for fun, I took the top 10 defenseman that have the worst +/-. Included in the top 10:
- Nick Leddy
- Ekman-Larsson
- Justin Faulk
- Erik Karlsson
- Duncan Keith
- Brady Skjei

Petry was 2nd in the list after Leddy. Honestly pretty good company to be with. All of the player's teams are all teams that are missing the playoffs as well.

It's easier to be -30 if you play 20-25 minutes against Crosby than if you play 15-18 minutes on a 3rd pairing against 3rd liners.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If byron is close to like 16 goals and 15 assists next year by the deadline

trading him at this time would be the best moment

hes not worth over 2m. We have enough 3rd liners

im sure if the market is low we could get a 1st for him no jokes.

I think we should trade him this summer. We have too many small 3rd liners. We have to trade at least one of them this summer and make a place for Scherbak and hope Scherbak improves. There's no point playing the likes of Byron or Shaw on our 2nd line. It leads us nowhere. It's better to give this experience to Scherbak. If it doesn't work then we will draft high again. I prefer to draft high after giving a real chance to Scherbak than finishing just outside the playoffs while icing Byron or Shaw 17 minutes a night.

AG-Drouin-Gallagher
Patch-Danault-Scherbak
Hudon-Shaw-Lehkonen
Carr-DLR-Deslauriers

IMO there's no point icing guys like Lehkonen, Hudon or Byron on a 4th line. Carr can do this job just fine. He can also plays on a 3rd line for a short while if there's injuries. Personally i keep Hudon and Lehkonen. They are younger and will be cost controlled for more seasons.

If we keep too many players CJ out of respect for his vets wont ice Scherbak. It's the way it is. No point keeping too many players as we're not winning a cup next year anyway. If we have many injuries then a guy like Evans can plays some games.

I don't see the point in keeping Byron personally unless we trade Patch for a dman and sign nobody.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I think we should trade him this summer. We have too many small 3rd liners. We have to trade at least one of them this summer and make a place for Scherbak and hope Scherbak improves. There's no point playing the likes of Byron or Shaw on our 2nd line. It leads us nowhere. It's better to give this experience to Scherbak. If it doesn't work then we will draft high again. I prefer to draft high after giving a real chance to Scherbak than finishing just outside the playoffs while icing Byron or Shaw 17 minutes a night.

AG-Drouin-Gallagher
Patch-Danault-Scherbak
Hudon-Shaw-Lehkonen
Carr-DLR-Deslauriers

IMO there's no point icing guys like Lehkonen, Hudon or Byron on a 4th line. Carr can do this job just fine. He can also plays on a 3rd line for a short while if there's injuries. Personally i keep Hudon and Lehkonen. They are younger and will be cost controlled for more seasons.

If we keep too many players CJ out of respect for his vets wont ice Scherbak. It's the way it is. No point keeping too many players as we're not winning a cup next year anyway. If we have many injuries then a guy like Evans can plays some games.

I don't see the point in keeping Byron personally unless we trade Patch for a dman and sign nobody.

I agree we have 2 many 3rd liners or under and who are not good enough to play top 6. Trading Byron with a Pacioretty could be great asset for playoff team. We need to put try Scherbak in a second line atleast.

Habs dont have any top 6 center ... We really need a good return for Pacio.

Also , I think Claude is doing his best. Bergevin manipulated everything this year even around Julien team's. Im pretty sure Julien will have his own staff this summer and Molson will probably tell Bergevin to chill off because he looked pissed as hell.
Anyways for UFA i think we should just skip them.

1- Tavares will have no problem getting the money , he will want to play in a team he likes and also hes a containder
2- Bozak is a 3rd liner we already have Danault but younger.
3- Stastny is almost 33. He would be an upgrade in the top 6 but giving him 6 years 6m is so god damn stupid. Bergevin cant do that after he missed Radulov.
4- Big joe is 2old
5- Jack Johnson is overrated forget him.
6- John Carlson will get what he wants after watching him plays last night. same for Tavares he wont join a loser club.

So our best bet is to trade and draft.
There is tons of trade to make to get a center with Pacio.

Just need a good GM with a brain
but thats the huge problem

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’m hesitant to move him watching the playoffs. Speed is everything in today’s NHL.
We are not winning anything for the next ? Years so, yeah! We need to trade him. Assets and picks is what this team needs more than a 5'7" 160 pounds 3rd line 15-20 goals scorer who's turning 29 next week and just had shoulder surgery.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
We are not winning anything for the next ? Years so, yeah! We need to trade him. Assets and picks is what this team needs more than a 5'7" 160 pounds 3rd line 15-20 goals score who's turning 29 next week and just had shoulder surgery.

We got him from Waiver also. getting a 2nd pick is better than nothing

I know it sucks for Radulov but atleast we did not lose anything when he left.

Bergevin loves his team 2 much. When habs started 9-0-1 and when everyone had +++ value , it was time to make a huge trade. But Bergevin is so close minded and stuck in the past with his shitty slow and ''character'' playstyle that the Weber , subban trade is bouncing back because Bergevin was not able to put more meat on the bones after trading for him.

Stupid decisions
no visions
This is what we get.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
WTF?

When did the injury happen? And why the hell did he keep playing?

Another franchise management fail. At the minimum, he needed to be shut down the day we were out of PO contention, this surgery could have happened 2 months ago, which would have had him back for preseason vs November.

Just another clear display of MB's management ineffectiveness & incompetence

It's also additional evidence that this management group has no compunction against playing injured players, even when the season is lost.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We got him from Waiver also. getting a 2nd pick is better than nothing

I know it sucks for Radulov but atleast we did not lose anything when he left.

Bergevin loves his team 2 much. When habs started 9-0-1 and when everyone had +++ value , it was time to make a huge trade. But Bergevin is so close minded and stuck in the past with his ****ty slow and ''character'' playstyle that the Weber , subban trade is bouncing back because Bergevin was not able to put more meat on the bones after trading for him.

Stupid decisions
no visions
This is what we get.

That's exactly why imo we have to trade Byron this summer. He's 29 and by the time we can win he's gonna be relatively old. He just had a 2nd good season in a row. He's fast and fast is popular right now. There's one year remaining of a very good contract. Many teams will struggle to improve this summer because of all the money they give to their stars. Byron will be an interesting option for them to improve their depth at a relatively low cost. Not sure he's worth a first but surely a 2nd. We need to improve our prospects pool so much than another 2nd would be good. The more you swing in the top 50 or so at the draft the more chances you have to hit a homerun.

I like Byron but imo if we keep him three scenario can happen next season :

- He has a bad season and his value will be low at the deadline because he's not 100% established yet. He's not a vet with 10 good seasons in his pocket.
- He has a good season and the CH is fighting for a playoffs spot so we can't trade him at the deadline and we will either lose him for nothing summer 2019 or give him what more than likely gonna be a bad contract for a player we wont need that much by that time.
- He has a good season and we are out of the playoffs by the deadline so his value might increase a little bit (1st round pick 2019 instead of 2nd round pick 2018). This said the player drafted in 2019 wont be ready soon and Price/Weber are not getting younger. IMO we should aim for 2018 picks or just rebuild.

Two of those scenario are bad and the other involves a 2019 pick instead of 2018. The scenario for next summer if we decide to trade him is sure to be a good one.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
That's exactly why imo we have to trade Byron this summer. He's 29 and by the time we can win he's gonna be relatively old. He just had a 2nd good season in a row. He's fast and fast is popular right now. There's one year remaining of a very good contract. Many teams will struggle to improve this summer because of all the money they give to their stars. Byron will be an interesting option for them to improve their depth at a relatively low cost. Not sure he's worth a first but surely a 2nd. We need to improve our prospects pool so much than another 2nd would be good. The more you swing in the top 50 or so at the draft the more chances you have to hit a homerun.

- He has a bad season and his value will be low at the deadline because he's not 100% established yet. He's not a vet with 10 good seasons in his pocket.
- He has a good season and the CH is fighting for a playoffs spot so we can't trade him at the deadline and we will either lose him for nothing summer 2019 or give him what more than likely gonna be a bad contract for a player we wont need that much by that time.
- He has a good season and we are out of the playoffs by the deadline so his value might increase a little bit (1st round pick 2019 instead of 2nd round pick 2018). This said the player drafted in 2019 wont be ready soon and Price/Weber are not getting younger. IMO we should aim for 2018 picks or just rebuild.

Two of those scenario are bad and the other involves a 2019 pick instead of 2018. The scenario for next summer if we decide to trade him is sure to be a good one.

getting a 2nd pick for 2019 at this point for him would be better

2019 draft looks pretty decent also.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
getting a 2nd pick for 2019 at this point for him would be better

2019 draft looks pretty decent also.
It hard to believe Bergevin could not trade 20 goals 1.16mil for 2 years Paul Byron and Max Pacioretty retained at 2.25mil for 2 years at this past deadline. Could have had a 1st, 2nd and 2 good prospects for both in a package.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
It hard to believe Bergevin could not trade 20 goals 1.16mil for 2 years Paul Byron and Max Pacioretty retained at 2.25mil for 2 years at this past deadline. Could have had a 1st, 2nd and 2 good prospects for both in a package.

He can still get an insane return for Pacio
Pretty sure pacio will resign in a place where there is a good center and hes not the captain and whos far away from MTL.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

If teams are offering trash he isn't going to make the move though.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Trade Shaw keep Byron. Why in the hell did MB keep Shaw if teams were making claims for his services? What a stupid inflated ego little purple pants man Bergevin is.

Reactions: Habs100

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Wait a minute...The Habs didn’t say he had a upper body injury! :amazed:

They actually announced the nature of his injury...the era of transparency has begun! :scared:

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
You guys are right, trade him for a 2nd. I did not realize he was 29......my mistake

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

His value is pretty high now, but not sky high. If there's a team that really likes him, they may be willing to trade an early 2nd for him. But most probably, he's worth a late 2nd. His name isn't really out there.

So on the one hand while his value could go down next season, it could go up if he's on pace for 20 goals and a team wants to increase their speed heading into the playoffs.

Ultimately, I don't see us getting more than a 2nd for him, and Bergevin will probably want to be in "win now" mode heading into this year, as his job is on the line.

But it sure would be nice to add at least two 2nds from Byron and Shaw.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad