Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
71300ac6d62c1e6fb26ff8327a8144c2.png
02e543a5c7fb03ade861f2d555c3d04a.png
816e4fe4a57d18735b1c9fd785f8cc46.png

Can people please stop acting like he has been sh*t and the sky is falling.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I some times misuse Irony... But is it not ironic that Maurice seems allergic to the idea of going E-S-L line even though a big part of Winnipeg's celebrated hockey history is a top line consisting of a Canadian centre with 2 European wingers? is that ironic?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
71300ac6d62c1e6fb26ff8327a8144c2.png
02e543a5c7fb03ade861f2d555c3d04a.png
816e4fe4a57d18735b1c9fd785f8cc46.png

Can people please stop acting like he has been sh*t and the sky is falling.

I don't know. I didn't think he looked that great yesterday

He's got a unique way of thinking and it seems like he's being told to play a different style of game
Looks like he needs to develop still
But that was the case last year as well, but goals were going and passes were being made
I saw him lose the puck a few times last game

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't know. I didn't think he looked that great yesterday

He's got a unique way of thinking and it seems like he's being told to play a different style of game
Looks like he needs to develop still
But that was the case last year as well, but goals were going and passes were being made
I saw him lose the puck a few times last game

He is obviously still only 19 so there is a lot to improve on, but even when he is not having superstar games he is still delivering good results on ice, which is the most important thing for the team.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He is obviously still only 19 so there is a lot to improve on, but even when he is not having superstar games he is still delivering good results on ice, which is the most important thing for the team.

I'm used to him standing out on the ice and he looked mediocre like everyone else

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Like I predicted earlier in this thread he is finding things a little tougher this year. He's been a focus of the other team from the first drop of the puck this year. He's being given less room and time.

He got about 15 free games last season before he became a focus. He's being defended much more vigorously so far than he ever was last season.

Prediction: He'll adjust over time and things will look better

Reactions: 19GoalsInPlayoffs

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017

The underlying stats are looking pretty good for him atm (the so called advanced, and even the oldfashioned ones). Really a lot better than last year. Add a little bit of luck and even the point totals would be exceptional. The team sucks big time at the moment and nothing works in the big picture, but it is there. Just wait.

Keep in mind he is a big player, so his playing style will always be looking lazy or slow or whatever... just look how for example ”the former penguin player whose name shall not be mentioned in Laine threads” looked while scoring ridiculous amounts of points. Quite the same.

Everyone is just at the moment focusing on ”how bad he looks” because there haven’t been hatricks so far. If Laine would be scoring 2+2 or something and looking just the same, most of us would be thrilled (if the Jets would be fine also :( ).

Am I worried about his future (or this season even)? Not in the slightest. It’s actually looking pretty good considering his development in general. He is 19 for God’s sake.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He needs to work harder - no free passes for the elite, especially at this age.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The underlying stats are looking pretty good for him atm (the so called advanced, and even the oldfashioned ones). Really a lot better than last year. Add a little bit of luck and even the point totals would be exceptional. The team sucks big time at the moment and nothing works in the big picture, but it is there. Just wait.

Keep in mind he is a big player, so his playing style will always be looking lazy or slow or whatever... just look how for example ”the former penguin player whose name shall not be mentioned in Laine threads” looked while scoring ridiculous amounts of points. Quite the same.

Everyone is just at the moment focusing on ”how bad he looks” because there haven’t been hatricks so far. If Laine would be scoring 2+2 or something and looking just the same, most of us would be thrilled (if the Jets would be fine also :( ).

Am I worried of his future (or this season even)? Not in the slightest. It’s actually looking pretty good considering his development in general. He is 19 for God’s sake.

I think he'll be just fine. I watched him score the most amazing one timer goal I've ever seen in PP practice in Vancouver. 100+ mph. Post and in about 3/4 of the way up the net. Jaw dropping

ursus maritimus

Jan 8, 2017
Like I predicted earlier in this thread he is finding things a little tougher this year. He's been a focus of the other team from the first drop of the puck this year. He's being given less room and time.

He got about 15 free games last season before he became a focus. He's being defended much more vigorously so far than he ever was last season.

Right. Earlier, Scheiffle or Ehler helped him out by being in a place that Laine can feed when he gets tight palace at the corner. Now he does not help anyone...he lose pucks all the time. Now he is also being followed harder by opponents.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Wow! You all need to relax. Some of you guys are just as stoked as the Matthews nuthuggers who believe he’s better than Gretzky, based on 5 games... :laugh:

He’s got talent, he didn’t score 36 goals by accident last year. He’ll find his way soon, and then he’ll most likely explode into last years scoring pace.

The sooner PoMo is gone, the sooner Laine will be back to normal.

Reactions: Ippenator

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
Am I worried about his future (or this season even)? Not in the slightest. It’s actually looking pretty good considering his development in general. He is 19 for God’s sake.

When Jets play their last regular season game in April, Laine is still 30 days younger than Ovechkin was when he played his first game in NHL.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He needs to work harder - no free passes for the elite, especially at this age.
So are you seriously claiming that he is lazy? Because if that is the case, then I can assure you that you are dead wrong. He is one of the most hard practicing hockey players that exists and he takes everything about his development as seriously as it can possibly be taken.

If he looks lazy sometimes, it has to simply do with the fact that his first steps and acceleration are just not that good. Also he is at the moment completely ruined from his offensive game by Maurice’s overcoached and stupidly planned defensive play. He is being overly focused in playing as careful and passive defence as he can, and this is away from how active style he plays, both defensively and offensively.

Maurice is an absolutely horrible coach, and the Jets couldn’t get rid of him too soon.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Laine has been trash first part of the season and corsi doesn't change that. Numbers are numbers and numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the quality of the plays. I really hope Maurice trusts his eyes more than stats, but i'm not sure about it. Most of his decisions seems to be based on stats. They should improve production, not corsi. Corsi doesn't help Pate at future, production does. I think Maurice is forcing him out of his game and that could be very critical for his career.

Last edited:

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
have to agree with you guys... not having the 2 forwards that have played the longest together actually play together is nuts, why not exploit that long term chemistry...

I read somewhere that maurice's issue is he tries to force players to fit in to the roles he wants them to be in rather then exploiting their natural inclinations towards certain roles. Seeing his line choices and insisted pairings I have to agree. Maurice is a neighbour of mine and I Dig the guy deeply.. but I think his approach is not sufficient in today's NHL.
I don’t get what Maurice wants with this mess. ESL was fantastic and now he uses Wheeler there? Does he want Laine become some decent 40pt scoring winger? Because with Little and Perreault that is a realistic outcome

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I just think it's odd to not just let players play to their strengths instead of trying to shoehorn them into what you want them to be. What is Maurice's ideal hockey player, anyway? Lowry? You can only get so far with 12 Lowrys.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Any chance that for just a little while we could discuss the player and not Maurice. Everything seems to be about the coach currently. Even if he really is the reason for all the things going for, that horse has been beaten to death and it would be refreshing to focus on something else instead of just repeating same things over and over.

One thing I've noticed this season is that Patrik seems to be working on his backhand. A few good passes and practise time.

I didn't think his last game looked that bad, there was aspects there I liked. Obviously how the team does will reflect on his play also and CBJ had the Jets' number down pretty well.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don’t get what Maurice wants with this mess. ESL was fantastic and now he uses Wheeler there? Does he want Laine become some decent 40pt scoring winger? Because with Little and Perreault that is a realistic outcome

Idk about 40 Point Winger but yes he will be very much worse(Statisticaly) this season unless he has someone on his line with a Dynamic offensive touch. I've said it a thousand times, Laine is not a Line Driver, you need speed, size and good defensive instincts to do so(other wise the puck will stay in the D-zone most shifts because your being relied upon to do something your not prepared for) to be a good Line driving Winger(if your extremely good in some of those categories you are fine to be half decent in one) . There are very few Wingers in the league that are(some of the best Wingers aren't capable of such either) so it's no slight on Laine.

The issue is the Jets arguably have the best overall Line driving Winger in the league in Wheeler(he's elite in all categories mentioned as a Line driving Winger), a Center who is Top 5 amongst all forwards(IMO) in this category Mark Scheifele and Ehlers who is really only comparable to Kane(one of the best Line Driving Wingers in the league) for his age and talents(might lack a bit to much Defensive awareness, so he's not likely there yet I think he will be though). It would be all fine if Maurice didn't put them all on one line for like all of the games thus far.

Laine is not very agile which mostly makes his skating pretty ineffective, great straight ahead speed though(which is effective with a Line Driver who can set up plays), he's not very good defensively but he does not lack strength but that being said he doesn't always know how to use his strength. Then we have Little a guy who is pretty decent Offensively(I think he lacks allot of IQ when it comes to offence) but he's not effective Defensively and makes allot of mistakes(he's a hell of a worker though, which does come in handy quite often). Now there's Perrault, some people call him a playmaker but I'm iffy on the suggestion of that, I think he's good at getting the puck in but he's easy to lose the puck and often makes change of possession pretty quick(again he's good at finding the puck I just think he looses it to much and lacks Offensive IQ).

So basically the Jets are set up incorrectly thus far, you give Laine a nice little Scheifele on a platter and I guarantee you he will be on pace to 40 Goals in the next 5 games, you keep him on a line where he is playing a role he is not ready for and isn't good enough to do he may get 25 goals and 25 assists. It really pisses me off that Maurice wants to push Laine away when he has so much potential. It's like to you think Kucherov would be scoring so high if he didn't have Stamkos or Ovi having Kutznestov/Backstrom? <--- It seems to be helping in the W's department too...

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Ehlers Little Laine.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That line was the worst garbage I have ever seen last year. Granted, it may look different this year but seriously WHAT IS GOING ON. Mr Line Shuffle switching lines every which way but Laine and Scheif are just a huge no-no. At which point does it move from incompetence to downright suspicious?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maurice keeps blending every line except Scheif-Wheeler and Little-Laine pairings. What the ****.

"Patrik, you and Little will play together until you score a hat trick with him"

At this point i'd rather see Laine with Lowry.

E: Oh yeah, we don't even have Lowry. Anyone, then.
IIRC, Laine's first game he played with Little he scored a hat trick vs Dallas. Then Maurice was like "yeah they complement each other amazingly, it was such a brilliant idea by me to put them two together" and ever since then, the pair's been hot garbage but Maurice just can't admit this mistake.

Swap Wheeler and Laine and I'd like these lines.

Should try Perreault-Petan-Armia as the third line when French Fries is healthy.

ursus maritimus

Jan 8, 2017
Laine has been trash first part of the season and corsi doesn't change that. Numbers are numbers and numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the quality of the plays. I really hope Maurice trusts his eyes more than stats, but i'm not sure about it. Most of his decisions seems to be based on stats. They should improve production, not corsi. Corsi doesn't help Pate at future, production does. I think Maurice is forcing him out of his game and that could be very critical for his career.

Patrik Laine 6 games 4 points and +/-, 3...Plus/minus 3th best of the team. Not so bad 19 years old.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
+/- is a very, very poor way to judge any player.

Laine will be fine - the whole team is not having a great start to the season.

Reactions: Narow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad