Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part VII: Eliitti! - Mod Warning Post #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Ill take 2 consecutive 30 goal seasons.

To be honest tho not scoring 40 would be a bit sad

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ill take 2 consecutive 30 goal seasons.

To be honest tho not scoring 40 would be a bit sad

I'd be happy to see 30 out of Laine, and add that to the 30-35 Ehlers will get, you have a nice sum of goals scored (about 60-65 from 2 players) !!! ( this is not to mention the other great scorers)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Quick turns rule in the NHL, he's having trouble with winning puck races and easily can be a step behind.

Luckily the season just started but theres' work to do.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He was expected to do that by professional hockey analysts. Before the season started it was not considered "****ing nuts" by anyone considering the last season, it is now though. And I think I always had reasonable expectations for him compared to some... I wonder where Psychodad or Laineux have disappeared? 70 goals is a piece of cake and he will score 150p in his prime... maybe not.
Yeah, psychodad went underground when Patty had a slow start. Hockey players are people and people are different. Not everyone develops the same way. Also the Jets and their system is shit which affects everyone. Laine can still have a great season.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Wow people are overreacting. He is leading the team in cf% among players who have played every game (Perrault, Poolman and Connor have better) and is leading the team in total shot attemps.

The shots have not gone in, but he could have a goal in every game I've watched (5 of 6 I think?).
They will start going in sometime.

Yet I feel he may be shooting a little bit safe, like wanting to make sure he hits the net and not going all in on shots like last season. But I think that's a confidence thing.

Reactions: Ippenator and GNP

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Wow people are overreacting. He is leading the team in cf% among players who have played every game (Perrault, Poolman and Connor have better) and is leading the team in total shot attemps.

The shots have not gone in, but he could have a goal in every game I've watched (5 of 6 I think?).
They will start going in sometime.

Yet I feel he may be shooting a little bit safe, like wanting to make sure he hits the net and not going all in on shots like last season. But I think that's a confidence thing.

I think he is shooting safer too. I also think that is due to the fact that if he misses the net the possesion almost 10/10 times ends up in the opponents hands. For some reason the jets cant position themselves by areas that the puck might go when he shoots... this is more obvious on the pp btw.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He could've had a goal or two and got unlucky with that pass for Scheifele. The Jets need him to do well and if he's not producing these games are either tight or the team is losing. Everything is a mess but I'm not worried about Laine, he will come around.

Reactions: Ippenator

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
Little-Wheeler-Ehlers/Connor/Armia/Perreault
Scheifele-Laine-Connor/Perreault/Ehlers/Armia
Petan
Lowry

How hard is that? How stubborn can Maurice be?
Just put Little and Wheeler together and Laine & Scheifele. After that it doesn't matter, everything else will settle. I prefer Petan over Lowry and Matthias should be eating pop-corn.

Wheeler doesn't have same chemistry with Scheif than Laine has and vice versa.

And Armia.. easily the top 3 forward in this game, like in many games in last season with 9 minutes on the ice.
His skill level is top 6 class. Give him a chance with top lines!

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Little-Wheeler-Ehlers/Connor/Armia/Perreault
Scheifele-Laine-Connor/Perreault/Ehlers/Armia
Petan
Lowry

How hard is that? How stubborn can Maurice be?
Just put Little and Wheeler together and Laine & Scheifele. After that it doesn't matter, everything else will settle. I prefer Petan over Lowry and Matthias should be eating pop-corn.

Wheeler doesn't have same chemistry with Scheif than Laine has and vice versa.

And Armia.. easily the top 3 forward in this game, like in many games in last season with 9 minutes on the ice.
His skill level is top 6 class. Give him a chance with top lines!

Exactly, 55 and 26 may have their moments, but over the long term it won't work. Wheeler is a tough guy to play with, he's an incredible talent and I hate to say it......but not too bright. Little understands Wheeler, these two NEED to play together. Same for ESL, these guys just "get" each other.

Reactions: Ippenator

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
have to agree with you guys... not having the 2 forwards that have played the longest together actually play together is nuts, why not exploit that long term chemistry...

I read somewhere that maurice's issue is he tries to force players to fit in to the roles he wants them to be in rather then exploiting their natural inclinations towards certain roles. Seeing his line choices and insisted pairings I have to agree. Maurice is a neighbour of mine and I Dig the guy deeply.. but I think his approach is not sufficient in today's NHL.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
have to agree with you guys... not having the 2 forwards that have played the longest together actually play together is nuts, why not exploit that long term chemistry...

I read somewhere that maurice's issue is he tries to force players to fit in to the roles he wants them to be in rather then exploiting their natural inclinations towards certain roles. Seeing his line choices and insisted pairings I have to agree. Maurice is a neighbour of mine and I Dig the guy deeply.. but I think his approach is not sufficient in today's NHL.
I have to say that I agree 100% with that speculation. That seems to definitely be Maurice’s Achillese heel.

That kind of coaching would maybe work with a complete underdog team full of grinding workhorses. But coaching the kind of very offensively skilled players, that the Jets have in the first two lines, is just complete idiotism which will make those talents feel constantly awkward about their playing. Bad thing for line chemistries, team atmosphere and player’s personal self confidence. The longer this kind of coach coaches these skilled players in this way the more these problems will accumulate, which results in worse and worse line chemistries, team atmosphere and self confidence.

Maurice is like a cancer for the skilled players that the Jets have. The Jets would need an emergency operation as soon as possible...

Reactions: CaptainChef

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Exactly, 55 and 26 may have their moments, but over the long term it won't work. Wheeler is a tough guy to play with, he's an incredible talent and I hate to say it......but not too bright. Little understands Wheeler, these two NEED to play together. Same for ESL, these guys just "get" each other.

ESL doesn't have to be a line
The sheifele/laine duo is more significant
You can switch ehlers up on either line

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I
ESL doesn't have to be a line
The sheifele/laine duo is more significant
You can't switch ehlers up on either line
I disagree with that. I think the Ehlers-Laine chemistry is just as important as 55-Laine. Ehlers-Wheeler is an absolute mess in any case. How many times have these guys run over each over. Its hard to watch.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I

I disagree with that. I think the Ehlers-Laine chemistry is just as important as 55-Laine. Ehlers-Wheeler is an absolute mess in any case. How many times have these guys run over each over. Its hard to watch.

If that's the case these guys are in trouble
It's one thing to say a centre and a winger, but all 3 players can't work together? Damn

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Maurice keeps blending every line except Scheif-Wheeler and Little-Laine pairings. What the f***.

"Patrik, you and Little will play together until you score a hat trick with him"

At this point i'd rather see Laine with Lowry.

E: Oh yeah, we don't even have Lowry. Anyone, then.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Only 17SOG through 6 games ( 2.8/GM 11.8% sh%)

On pace for 232 SOG & 27G
Yup. Not what we expected. He also opts to pass way too often rather than just shoot. I don't like that. We're still at the point where a few good games from him can change everything.

That's true, it's all about Laine in Finland. Everyone else just sucks :P

Well, right now at the start of the season it feels like every Finn except Määttä is sucking. It has been extra depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->