Status
Not open for further replies.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
1/4
2/4
3/4
4/4

There you go, enjoy. It's a long, in-depth article. Quality (sports) journalism, at least for Finnish standards. :)

It's far from quality article which is also the concencus in Finland. The teaser "I don't drink alcohol" "sold" more than the actual article. You could call it 16 pages of nothing.

Edit. It is written by regular news writer, not sportwriter, it's written for people who don't follow hockey and it contains only recycled news.

Last edited:

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
It's far from quality article which is also the concencus in Finland. The teaser "I don't drink alcohol" "sold" more than the actual article. You could call it 16 pages of nothing.

Edit. It is written by regular news writer, not sportwriter, it's written for people who don't follow hockey and it contains only recycled news.

you're right, the actual interview was a very small part of that very long article. Most of it was just the writer describing their own feelings and painting pretty pictures of NHL, hockey, Winnipeg..
But a nice read anyway :)

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Pretty much that. Nothing new or special for these scenes. However, it's still the article that probably get lot of readers outside conventional hockey audiences, elderly people, folks that do not follow sports and so on. 8 illustrated pages in Helsingin Sanomat's monthly magazine.

But I agree. There aren't much new for average HFBoarder, Finn or Jets hockey fan, or Laine enthusiasts.

I've translated most of the article (about page and half still to do), but being now too tired to get it finished today. I met severe translation troubles, particularly with Laine's colloquial answers in the interview. Tomorrow then with fresh mind. *yawns*

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Eichel 30 games played 123 shots on goal
Laine 47 games played 126 shots on goal

This is a area id like to see imoroved numbers in.
With a shot like Laines it should be used much more.

What do you guys think? Is there any validity in that more is better in this contex?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Eichel 30 games played 123 shots on goal
Laine 47 games played 126 shots on goal

This is a area id like to see imoroved numbers in.
With a shot like Laines it should be used much more.

What do you guys think? Is there any validity in that more is better in this contex?

Laine is not a volume shooter. He's a more cerebral player than Eichel or Matthews. He's also playing the wrong wing for shooting. A RW coming from the right side has no shooting angle. Maurice is a hack to not even try these guys on their preferred wing. I thought Laine was better in his own zone on the left side as well.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Laine is not a volume shooter. He's a more cerebral player than Eichel or Matthews. He's also playing the wrong wing for shooting. A RW coming from the right side has no shooting angle. Maurice is a hack to not even try these guys on their preferred wing. I thought Laine was better in his own zone on the left side as well.

I completely agree. Laine pulls pucks off the wall on the LW faster than on RW. He has admitted to not being very going on the right side of the ice.

Ehlers prefers the RW, Laine prefers LW.. they've been better on those wings. Paul. Makes. No. Sense.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Yeah the position thing is weird i remember them trying himon the wrong wing at world champs aswell but quickly realizing that this guy is on another level on the left wing.

Im sure any issues having him on left wing can get sorted right?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Another example of Mo's defense at the expense of offense philosophy. The only real advantage to having wingers play on their strong sides is for them to be on their forehand on the breakout, so the defense has an easier pass to make. The high end skill of guys like Laine and Ehlers really mitigate that though, I don't think either of them have any issue taking a good breakout pass on their backhand.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Need to get him more PP time. Maurice still trots out the Wheeler Scheif Buff unit first, and most, on any PP if he can.

I think the worry about his game in general is overblown, easy to forget that he's barely legal drinking age (below drinking age where I'm at!).

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Need to get him more PP time. Maurice still trots out the Wheeler Scheif Buff unit first, and most, on any PP if he can.

I think the worry about his game in general is overblown, easy to forget that he's barely legal drinking age (below drinking age where I'm at!).
The worry about his game is enourmously overblown.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

The Jets don't have a 1st unit. It's 1a/1b. Based on my observation, the unit that goes out 1st depends on which line was just out there before the penalty was called, which line is fresher and how they have been playing so far in the game and their recent PP success.

Neither unit stays on the ice if the puck is cleared out of the offensive zone 50seconds or later into the PP, in contrast to actual 1st units around the league

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The Jets don't have a 1st unit. It's 1a/1b. Based on my observation, the unit that goes out 1st depends on which line was just out there before the penalty was called, which line is fresher and how they have been playing so far in the game and their recent PP success.

Neither unit stays on the ice if the puck is cleared out of the offensive zone 50seconds or later into the PP, in contrast to actual 1st units around the league

I wonder which unit is performing better relative to minutes. Especially since the PP began to really take off.

I suppose I could look but that seems like effort.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Yeah the position thing is weird i remember them trying himon the wrong wing at world champs aswell but quickly realizing that this guy is on another level on the left wing.

Noope, he played all of world champ on right wing, because Jokinen wanted LW.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Noope, he played all of world champ on right wing, because Jokinen wanted LW.

Oh wow you are right i had totally forgotten that!
Then it was that you could see Laine was playing on another level whenever he ended up on the left side?
And it was the tournament they went undefeated to the final?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He played RW in that tournament and had almost 3 times as many high quality plays from the left side than right side in spite of that.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
inb4 "b-b-but m-most teams run a F1/F2/F3 in the offensive zone so it doesn't matter what side he plays on!!!!"

:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad