Patrik Laine Part III: More Hats, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Apparently Crosby had a concussion that went undiagnosed - as a result he played again a day or two later and suffered another concussion. He had to miss almost a whole season (worth of games) I think for it.

It seems everyone is different, but seeing Crosby dominate everything the last year I think its safe to say that its possible, maybe even likely, Laine will return to full form as well.

Crosby was actually diagnosed with a concussion after the first one but was also two cracks in his neck along with a concussion. They missed the neck injury which is why it took so long for him to recover. They really screwed him.

Last edited:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Step 2: Light aerobic exercise, such as walking or stationary cycling. Monitor for symptoms and signs. No resistance training or weight lifting.

He was at Thermea today and also strolling around at the zoo.

Ya, that's pre step 1. Walking around the zoo is not defined as "exercise" and the spa can be hot tub, sauna etc ( he is a Finn, they love saunas)

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It is a concussion and it is a brain injury. Concussion is just a common word for brain injury. In most cases no white matter is destroyed and no permanent damage is done.

Here is some basic info for you to ease your mind.
http://www.aivovammaliitto.fi/aivovammat/

This is an excellent example of a very similar hit. It's incredible, the player was wearing a special sensor.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/09/sports/football/what-happened-within-this-players-skull-football-concussions.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

It's not a similar hit. In the video "What Happened Within This Player’s Skull" it is a east-west movement. Laine received a hit direct hit with north-south movement.

It's not a same thing. Not even close. At least read the article you are posting.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It's not a similar hit. In the video "What Happened Within This Player’s Skull" it is a east-west movement. Laine received a hit direct hit with north-south movement.

It's not a same thing. Not even close. At least read the article you are posting.

I did, the hit in the video is actually a similar head on collision, with the player turning into it. The video references that east to west impacts are more dangerous though. In the real world, it's never perfectly directional though, your brain moves in waves like the infographic shows.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

what the...the forces of physics don't care if you're going north - south or east - west. What matters is your mass and velocity and the mass and velocity of the object you hit. The two hits seems very similar (the football one is likely worse imo)

I posted this video like 10 pages back...Gretzky is obviously knocked out and concussed and then just plays the next shift. It's possible that Laine will be completely 100% fine. Let's not discuss the darker more depressing option.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
what the...the forces of physics don't care if you're going north - south or east - west. What matters is your mass and velocity and the mass and velocity of the object you hit. The two hits seems very similar (the football one is likely worse imo)

I posted this video like 10 pages back...Gretzky is obviously knocked out and concussed and then just plays the next shift. It's possible that Laine will be completely 100% fine. Let's not discuss the darker more depressing option.

The brains do care about the vector.

"the most damaging blows are those that cause the head to snap quickly from ear to ear, like the one shown above, or those that cause a violent rotation or twisting of the head through a glancing blow. “The brain’s wiring, essentially, is all running from left to right, not front to back,â€

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The brains do care about the vector.

"the most damaging blows are those that cause the head to snap quickly from ear to ear, like the one shown above, or those that cause a violent rotation or twisting of the head through a glancing blow. “The brain’s wiring, essentially, is all running from left to right, not front to back,â€

Ah so the Laine hit is not as bad then? I was unaware of this...makes sense though as the brain's position within the skull obviously matters. In terms of the pure forces involved it seems like the Football hit is worse as well.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Ah so the Laine hit is not as bad then? I was unaware of this...makes sense though as the brain's position within the skull obviously matters. In terms of the pure forces involved it seems like the Football hit is worse as well.

It is not as bad as the situation explained in NY Times video even if it was hit with equal force.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Kind of agree, similar to errant stick. McCabe has used his head a few times before to knock guys out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeblqxNrcWk&t=70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IQpq73TN8

Yep the hit to Paille there is identical to what he did to Laine. You can`t tell me that is incidental when the player crouches and then leads with his head on a hit. Just ridiculous how analysts seem to be giving McCabb the benefit of doubt and even calling it a perfectly clean hit when its obvious he has employed it to seriously injure more than one player already.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
It is not as bad as the situation explained in NY Times video even if it was hit with equal force.

Yep and in that football hit most of the impacts power hits directely in the players head(sideways) and his neck also makes more violent move than that of Laine. Laine's hit impact power was atleast as much to the body as to head. It was good that the impact put Patrik flying right away and he somehow managed to keep his chin low preventing hitting his head to ice.
Neck's muscles are not good at softening impact that comes from the side.

I truly think that his injury is not that bad.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
No brain injury is good.

I do hope he recovers well though.

No it's not good, but some posters here worry that it would affect in his career in a negative way, and that IMO is way overreacting. Concussions are more common than one would think IMO. I believe that half or maybe even more of the athletes that has played contactsports has had some sort of concussion.
Usually it don't mean much.
To me all the signs shows that he is going to be fine very shortly. I'm no doctor but i could bet on it:)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No it's not good, but some posters here worry that it would affect in his career in a negative way, and that IMO is way overreacting. Concussions are more common than one would think IMO. I believe that half or maybe even more of the athletes that has played contactsports has had some sort of concussion.
Usually it don't mean much.
To me all the signs shows that he is going to be fine very shortly. I'm no doctor but i could bet on it:)

It could affect his career in a negative way, and it could mean a lot - it's a brain injury. Hopefully it doesn't, but downplaying the potential issues is mostly a coping tactic for we fans, I think.

We'll know more soon from the medical people, I'm sure. Crossing my fingers for a positive outcome and recovery for Laine. :thumbu:

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
It could affect his career in a negative way, and it could mean a lot - it's a brain injury. Hopefully it doesn't, but downplaying the potential issues is mostly a coping tactic for we fans, I think.

We'll know more soon from the medical people, I'm sure. Crossing my fingers for a positive outcome and recovery for Laine. :thumbu:

Well maybe so:) Fingers crossed here too!:nod:

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Has this been posted yet? Couldn't find it but surely someone has posted it somewhere.

Edit: I wonder if one of those steps are "Go to zoo and pose for picture with tiger". ?

hahahaha...and hit the spa. Damn, It sounds like I need a concussion in order to get some R&R! Very good signs. He will be back for the home game on the 21st would be my guess.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg

Agreed. Primary head contact to Laine was to his jaw, not his noggin. That hit is noggin to noggin. Him being out seems more precautionary than it is concussion symptoms. I'm no Dr. but this is my opinion. My only concern is him being a bit tentative (scared) when he comes back. Hopefully not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->