Patrik Laine Part II: The Man Wants All the Hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
This definitely isn't me complaining about Wheeler :laugh: I've been really impressed by the work ethic the team has, how they have dealt the injuries and how they have played in the 3rd no matter the score and have been able to steal points and I guess Wheeler deserves credit on that.

Like I said earlier that article just got me thinking whats there waiting in the future.

Getting just the slightest bit off topic here, but since it came up I gotta ask... I was lucky enough to find a sauna in a Danish swimming hall once, but it was very hot and there was a big sign to not throw water on the rocks... which from a Finnish perspective is like giving your kid a bicycle and then not allow him to ride it :D Gotta say it was still better than nothing.

Are saunas common in Denmark and is that the way Danish generally roll (no throwing water on the "kiuas"/stove)?

I love Thermia, I just wish people would shut the **** up in the steam room!

Go Pate!

That trade was all about an owner who couldn't or wouldn't pay Temmu what he had coming to him.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/01/08/still-the-worst-trade-ever

Continue...

I've learned a lot about Finnish sauna culture, but lets steer it back to Patrik. His sauna habits are acceptable if confirmed with link to article :sarcasm:

Edit: a collection of GIFs created by Harmonica1 of Laine's goal-scoring exploits for your pleasure - hope you've got a fast phone/tablet/PC! ;)

[collapse=ljwehfkjlnavn]
1. Hurricanes

plidoxC.gif

2. Maple Leafs

TBdGMBZ.gif

3. Maple Leafs

WSj8ZHE.gif

4. Maple Leafs

fJIjutg.gif

5. Stars

BP3C8Lk.gif

6. Stars

vCaADuT.gif

7. Red Wings

q4CIzGX.gif

8. Rangers

8v8hW2A.gif

9. Stars

PBkHlxR.gif

10. Stars

SbBlKx0.gif

11. Stars

5qOCwjy.gif

12. Blackhawks

QYAjUWV.gif

SO 1. Kings

skCY1Sf.gif

13. New Jersey

oE6cubM.gif

14. Edmonton

ykPOMZp.gif

15. Edmonton

OWDlUcY.gif

16. St. Louis

q12r9Ug.gif

17. Detroit

eyYXbpx.gif

2. SO Detroit

hXJyMCK.gif

[/collapse]

Last edited by a moderator:

SportsBird

Oct 31, 2016
'Finnish Flash' who came up with nickname?

That person should come up with Patrik Laine's nickname.

I do not exactly know who or when Selanne's nickname started but if I had to guess was it not a sportswriter that was inspired by the Toronto Argonauts 'Rocket Ismail'?

And it didn't come from Jari Kurri. if I recall it was reborn after a game where Selanne burned the defense and scored.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Can someone photoshop Laine to some villain that demands ALL the hats mankind has to sacrifice in order to prevent him from destroying the world or something?

I've got to work :(

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
That person should come up with Patrik Laine's nickname.

I do not exactly know who or when Selanne's nickname started but if I had to guess was it not a sportswriter that was inspired by the Toronto Argonauts 'Rocket Ismail'?

And it didn't come from Jari Kurri. if I recall it was reborn after a game where Selanne burned the defense and scored.

The Finnish Flash has looooooong and complex history behind it. The Original Finnish Flash was runner Hannes Kolehmainen whom performances in Stockholm Olympic games 1912 coined the nickname. There after it has been inherited to several Finn-born runners, including but not limited to Paavo Nurmi...

In world rally scenes there was a long term habit to call several Finnish Rally drivers and world champions as The Finnish Flash...

For Patrik Laine that nickname is simply 100% unsuitable for various reasons, not least that The Last Finnish Flash is Teemu Selänne. There are even The Finnish Flash society for charity work -> http://www.finnishflash.fi/in+english/

Even Teemu and Patrik themselves have made some statements about an use of that Nickname. Something that should be also respected.

add: there are also related and conceptually deeply intermingled nickname The Flying Finn, these names form kind of archetypal term for all Finnish fast and famous sportsmen. /edit2 Correction: Hannes Kolehmainen was first The Flying Finn not The Finnish Flash. Regardless, the point stands.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I may sound like a downer with this one but I personally fail to see why a player with an easy and short name like "Patrick Laine" needs a "nickname" that is longer than his actual name (Finnish Flash, Flying Finn, Finnish Finish Line, Finnish , Finnish Finn ...), especially since his nickname kind of writes itself regarding to what kind of player he is: Hat-trick Lane.

So why the obsession with "The Finnish Something"? Just because of Selanne back then? :dunno:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It's seems to being already De Facto Hattrick Laine anyway, so...

Informal 'Pate' will stay there in use too, nevertheless.

For Finns these naming issues can have some real significance, you know.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I may sound like a downer with this one but I personally fail to see why a player with an easy and short name like "Patrick Laine" needs a "nickname" that is longer than his actual name (Finnish Flash, Flying Finn, Finnish Finish Line, Finnish , Finnish Finn ...), especially since his nickname kind of writes itself regarding to what kind of player he is: Hat-trick Lane.

So why the obsession with "The Finnish Something"? Just because of Selanne back then? :dunno:

I agree, also i think Kurri was Finnish Flash before Selanne. Nickname is fine but drop the Finnish part.

TiimuSeLaine

Oct 23, 2016
Can someone photoshop Laine to some villain that demands ALL the hats mankind has to sacrifice in order to prevent him from destroying the world or something?

I've got to work :(

patuvillain_.jpg

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Let him play more left wing and more goals will come.

When Ehlers is the other winger it doesn't really matter which side they line up on. Ehlers is all over the ice with his speed creating tons of open space, Scheif can make plays from anywhere and will do the grunt work supporting the D down low. Laine just has to keep finding the open space and put the puck in the net when he gets it. It really is a line of skill sets that mesh perfectly.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
When Ehlers is the other winger it doesn't really matter which side they line up on. Ehlers is all over the ice with his speed creating tons of open space, Scheif can make plays from anywhere and will do the grunt work supporting the D down low. Laine just has to keep finding the open space and put the puck in the net when he gets it. It really is a line of skill sets that mesh perfectly.

And Laine doesnt play the wing he is assigned to. He roams around the rink just like Ehlers does.

That line has really fluid movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->